1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All leader portraits

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

So you don't think people would complain if ~50% of the Civs were from Africa, Asia, or the Americas??:lol::crazyeye:

2. Gangrin

Gangrin Warlord

Do you mean Australia? Well duh, i am glad that they excluded it in favor of one more non-english speaking european civ

3. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Sorry, but the United States does not represent indigenous North America.

4. Gangrin

Gangrin Warlord

aaaaaaand? For example, Russia does not really represent Chukchian culture and history, but i would rather have Poland or Bohemia or Denmark or even Venice than some Chukchian civilization

5. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The Aztecs represent that...
    Now south America you can complain about

6. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

EDIT

I found B5

7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Great fit! How did you find it? Google image search of "Gorgo statue" brings up a similar statue but from a different angle.

I don't think the statue even portrays Gorgo. Prolly just some random Greek noblewoman.

8. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

As a whole I'm OK with the list.
    Most are the expected ones that are always in vanilla.
    Brazil in Vanilla is just to get the developing gamers-market involved. Like it or not there are a lot more Brazilian players then there are Portuguese or Quechua (Inca) people who play the game. Even if they in my opinion deserved to get into the game before them.
    Didn't expect a Norse (Viking) civ in Vanilla but always like them in the game.
    Scythia as a civ I'm a bit indifferent about, but Tomyris looks cool. Still would rather have had Mongolia or Persia first though.
    That this also means no Ottomans surprises me the most, really thought they would be in Vanilla and were the missing C5 civ.

Poland as a DLC is also a smart move because most hardcore fans buy new civs (or bought them already in advance) anyway and it will give extra attention in a developing gaming market there.

And though I don't agree about the game being to Eurocentric they have left only the Netherlands, Portugal, the Celts, Austria, Sweden and the Byzantine Empire as European civs that have been in the game in civ III/IV/V (Sweden only in V but still) for expansions so I doubt we see many European civs as dlc as they have to save them for the expansions. Though they can always decide to make Hungary, Serbia, Bohemia or Romania into civs too :).

9. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

its called Athenian kore i think. Gorgo has no statues so they probably searched something like "greek queen statue"

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Aw, this thread didn't reach 200 pages before everything was revealed.

11. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Great find! Now I can sleep well.

12. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Might be the right image. I don't exactly get a 100 % match when I try to blur it, but at this point, I don't guess there's much point in debating whether it is an exact match or not. The general concept at least seems to fit what we see in B5.

13. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

Awesome. So we have finally completed the chart. Well, technically Ed did.

I guess the question is whether Pericles and Gorgo represent their respective city-states, or if multiple leaders are confirmed.

14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

They are both next to each other under 'G' in the leader board. That might mean something.

15. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

It does irritate me slightly that we still can't find Teddy, Cleo or Qin Shi Huang. :D

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

At this point, we might just ask Firaxis for info, where they got the pictures or for an unburied photo of the board.

17. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

I'm positive they are all in-house concept art. All three appear to have similar backgrounds and look like they would be portraits in Civopedia.

18. Aukhenaten

Aukhenaten Chieftain

I'm fine with more European leaders in the base game so long as we get plenty of non-European leaders in later DLC and expansions. My priority is civs which are functional and enjoyable over having every corner of the globe touched this early on.

19. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

If Pericles and Gorgo represented different civilizations, then that would bring the civ count to 20, including Aztecs. So I think if we are still to believe that there are 18 shipping civs (plus Aztecs), then we must view this as conclusive evidence that Greece has 2 leaders.

Spain having 2 leaders in this lineup should also be viewed as evidence supporting this idea.

20. Nightsong

Nightsong Warlord

Possibly part of the reasoning behind multiple Euro-centric civilizations is that a large chunk of the player-base Firaxis is catering to is Western and as such are more familiar with Western leaders. Make the game familiar and comfortable to your audience (especially if you are trying to draw in new players) and then go for the more exotic civilizations down the road. Yes I know we have exotic leaders in the base-game (looking at you Tomyris), but that's to prevent the game from being completely overrun with American and European leaders / civilizations.