1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All leader portraits

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

Surprised at the Civs being mentioned as "missing". Persia missing isn't any stranger than Spain in Civ V Vanilla and the Ottomans aren't any more impressive than Byzantine historically. However I feel Mongolia should be as automatic as Rome, and missing out on two straight inclusions is bizarre.

I'll say it's refreshing they didn't put a checklist on areas and races and just added who they thought would be good for the game. I'm sure everyone will be represented when it's all said and done.

2. retrocity5

retrocity5 Prince

If it's an amalgamation, I'll be furious. So will Scandinavians.

3. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

To be fair, India or even Germany could make the same complaint. I'm in favor of bigger "cultures" with multiple leaders representing different epochs, but they've never been to consistent in that regard.

4. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I'm hoping that we'll have 50 civilizations after all the expansions and DLC are out. I think it's possible because 1) each game has had more civs than the last and 2) Civ VI vanilla has more features included than any previous entry, which I imagine will free up development time on expansions to work on civs. Besides the world congress, there aren't really any glaring omissions in terms of game play. Maybe corporations? In any case, I bet the expansions are heavily weighted to adding new civs.

5. retrocity5

retrocity5 Prince

Only 50 after all the expansions?!?! I'm hoping for 70! Then again if you've seen my collection there are about 150 civs I'd want to see in the game.

6. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

This is why I'm glad they included religion and tourism and other holdovers instead of a reset. They're free to add or bring back new features for the XPs. Personally I'd love to see Colonization and Revolutions be a major theme for any expansions.

7. retrocity5

retrocity5 Prince

They need historical religions. Last time I checked, the Babylonians didn't believe in Allah.

8. Sobornost

Sobornost Chieftain

I disagree, you want a variety of people, culture, traditions represented in the game to make it interesting and varied. Norway/Vikings is a great DLC or expansion pick, but in the base game it means something that was actually majorly impactful in history (not just yet another wave of Germanic migration) and totally unique culturally was left out. Don't have a problem with any of the other Europeans, don't have a problem with Brazil.

But picking Norway over Ottomans, Persia, or SE Asia is a bad idea.

Again I could care less about 'Eurocentrism' but this time it's actually the marginal European civs that beat out the very big, well known, interesting non-Western civs.

9. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

Well it was tied to tech progression in Civ 4, which is a diplomatic way of handling it. Also the old tales of Gilgamesh are pretty much the story of Noah with a different name, so you could say that some Babylonians did in fact worship Allah! Allah is a name for the Abrahamic God after all, they just have a (pretty big) divergence at Christ.

10. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

I agree with your last point, but if they just listed them as Vikings I don't think people would have as much as a problem. Certainly they could have used at least one of Persia/Turks/Mongolia over say Poland, but again I feel this will be the heavy focus of an expansion pack.

11. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

Not really, Mesoamerica was a different center of civilization, isolated from the Andes, and as far as I know, those two poles had little to no contact with each other.

Now, the Aztecs themselves were related through their language with peoples like the Shoshone and the Hopi. They were much closer geographically, so, with the confession that I don't know for sure about this, I think they probably traded with some regularity.

Now, I get that this isn't your argument at all, but rather that the Northern Native American cultural groups were not represented in the base game. I would love to see them in some form, but I don't think they're in any way more essential or important to other cultural groups that were similarly not presented, like Indochinese, or Andean, or Eastern African (though the latter got at least Zanzibar as a CS). Let's wait for the expansions and see if Firaxis does them justice, my friend.

12. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

The screen where you choose your "religion" has a scroll bar indicating (a lot) more icons than the ones shown.

13. Westfjordian

Westfjordian Chieftain

Well, personally I'd prefer the Norse amalgam over the Scandinavian one because the former includes my country [emoji57] .

Don't forget that Scandinavians only refers to the Continental Norse peoples, and only arose as a cultural identity in the 1600s(?) during unification efforts.

Oh, and geographically speaking, Scandinavia only refers to the peninsula on which Norway and Sweden reside

14. retrocity5

retrocity5 Prince

15. Sobornost

Sobornost Chieftain

Yeah I agree that 'Norway' reminds us of the much more marginal modern state, the Vikings were definitely more impactful as a group and would have probably done a better job of selling this civ to the skeptics.

I think just having one less European and one more of Ottomans, Persia, SE Asia (I'd include Mongolia too, I agree they were quite great, quite big, and quite interesting but Scythians kind of covered the north/central Asian steppe warriors for now, having at least many geographic, political, cultural similarities) would have done a lot to calm down European/non-European balance questions.

16. retrocity5

retrocity5 Prince

Actually, in the historical sense, Scandinavia refers to Sweden, Norway, AND Denmark, regardless of the peninsula. Sometimes Finland and Iceland are included due to historical relevance. Iceland was Norwegian territory until the Black Death, and Finland was Swedish territory until the Napoleonic Wars.

17. retrocity5

retrocity5 Prince

You're forgetting however, that the Norwegian Empire settled both Iceland and Greenland, which would later be taken by the Danes with and after the Kalmar Union.

18. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

Yeah the problem with the steppe people is they all are heavily horse and horse archer based so you get some overlap. But I don't see a problem with having to deal with both Scythians and Mongols if they showed up in the same game. Babylon is also a big loss imo. Personally I'm expecting more interesting DLC packs. Incans and Mayans for one, Babylon and Persia for another, with bigger themes being added with Expansion Packs.

19. Sobornost

Sobornost Chieftain

Yeah, but Iceland and Greenland (no offense meant to these places) are nothing near the wide scope of the entire Middle East/Eastern Mediterranean. Or like a hundred other places that other non-included groups have conquered or settled.

20. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

Well they also settled the Americas, pretty big achievement for the time period. Maybe their UU or ability will let it travel the ocean earlier than other Civs (like a balanced Polynesia from V), would be fitting and interesting.