1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All leader portraits

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by nunor, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Generalisation is indeed foolish, but it's also always worth bearing in mind that CivFanatics forms a very small minority of Civ players. You can't extrapolate what the players as a whole are willing to pay for from what CivFanatics members post about.

2. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Blasphemy! Guards, seize him!

3. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Nope, not really considering what we have instead; Tamar > Gorgo any day for me.

4. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

People hate eu civs, but only if they are not their country. I suppose the uproar for an absent France would lose more sales in France then a game with a lot of Eu civs and with France in. Repeat this for many more nations and you can guess where I'm going

5. King William I

King William I King

Okay, hating CiV's just because they just so happen to be from Europe is just as bad as that guy who was hating Native CiV's because they weren't. Just saying

6. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

Having too many North-American Native Civs has actually been one of the biggest problems in CIV games IMO. They have been included because of USA-centrism. All important Native Americans Empires were in Central and South-America. When we have Incas, Aztecs, Mayans, Mapuche - then we can start talking about NA Native Civs.

I would like to see more and better Civs for Africa and Asia though. Gandhi as a leader of India is just a bad joke. And Saladin as a leader of Arabs is simply wrong. He was not an Arab (he was a Kurd) and he did not rule "Arab Empire". He would make more sense as Kurdish or Egyptian leader.

7. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

This. I'm happy with the selection (of civs - not so much leaders :p). I would also have been happy with a number of non-Euro civs instead.

8. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

Haha, this eurocentrcism topic has made its way into all topics, hasn't it? Again, IMO, it's easier for a western dev selling a game to a primarily western audience to be a little more eurocentic then history buffs would like. But it is guaranteed that there will be expansions that have much more civs in SEA, Native Americans, Middle Eastern powers like Persia or the Ottomans, and Mongolians or Zulu. Start with something the customer knows (America, Europe, China, Japan, India) add a few that people don't know (Scythia, Kongo, Sumer) to make it more appealing to a customer in America and Europe.

9. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

If dying in battle is a problem, then surely we should not have Harald Hardrada either...

10. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

The odds were a lot better at Stamford Bridge than Thermopylae. The two aren't really comparable.

11. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

So we have 3 Greek in the game... uh why
    Gorgo, Pericles and Cleopatra.

12. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Cleopatra is Macedonian.

13. nunor

nunor King

Gorgo -> Spartan
    Pericles -> Athenian
    Cleopatra -> Macedonian (by genealogy)

Sparta/Athens/Macedonia -> Greece

14. Xen

Xen Magister

Macedonia was very much a Greek entity at the time. Sure, they were the Alabama of the Greek world, sterottpes as know nothing hillbillies, but the diatinction is mostly one made by the elitist Greek states of the south.

15. Nixalo

Nixalo Warlord

I don't think people hate European civs.

It think it's more of a variety thing.

Especially with Civ6's focus on terrain, you'd need more leaders and societies born of these terrains and lores.

I personally like continental games and the vanilla roster only allows for 2 continents to meet leaders in all their cold climate clothing.

16. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

I don't hate European/Western civs, I hate having them at the expense of non-european civs. I just want geographic distribution and representation.

I would be equally appalled if the roster consisted of 4 Asian, 3 African, 4 Polynesian, 3 Native American (North & South), 2 Middle Eastern/Mesopotamian and just Rome from Europe.

Geographic/Cultural diversity shouldn't have to wait for DLC is all. If you think it can then surely Europe too can wait.

Cause do you seriously think dropping Spain in favor of the someone like the Cherokee would impact sales so much? It certainly wasn't for Civ 5.

And are you seriously suggesting a 80 Years War DLC featuring Spain under Phillip II, The Dutch under William the Silent, Elizabeth as an alt leader for England and maybe Gustav Adolf of Sweden thrown in for good measure wouldn't fly off the shelves like hotcakes with a rocket-ship attached to it? Cause I'm 100% certain that'd sell better than a Age of Naresuan with Siam, Cambodia and Burma; cause most of you don't even know what that is, and many likely don't really care.

17. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

I hope they add all european nations. And make Joan of Arc/Marie Antoinette dlc leaders. Beacuse watching you whine amuses me

Moderator Action: Please do not bait other members, it is trolling.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

18. nunor

nunor King

I'm assuming you don't have many friends :rolleyes:

19. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

I just imagined Marie Antoinette as a leader and chuckled.

Historical Agenda: Let Them Eat Cake: Likes any Civ who owns more Wheat resources~

20. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

:agree:
    This! They should have held off on Norway, Brazil, and Gorgo for DLC. Heck, they maybe could have even held off on Germany, or Spain. Those would probably sell way better as DLCs than any number of SE Asian, African, and indigenous American civs. To add to this, the only indigenous American civ is locked to non-preorderers for 90 days and the only two African civs are led by rulers with deep ties to colonialism.