All leader portraits

No, because Georgia would need to be before Germany. "o" is before "r".

It has been said countless times already.

You guys sure are quick to jump down someone's throat over what could be a simple mistake.

Especially when you can't read an obvious joke when you see one.

I mean it fits perfectly, alphabetically speaking at least.

No.In the Alphabet I learned, it doesn`t fit.

So, since the discussion around "B5" gets a bit to Tamaresque for my liking and to give you guys food for discussion for the next ,lets say, ten pages I would suggest the Graeco - Indian Kingdom and Menander I. as ruler for "B5".
Unfortunately I couldn`t come up with a photo from this guy, because Graeco-Indian Rulers were usually only depicted on coins ( so the photo might even be only a placeholder ).

Actually this choice could make some sense, given:

- Its located in Central Asia ( modern Afghanistan/Pakistan ), an area previously neglected in Civs.
- Would team up nicely with the also newly arrived Scythians ( Scenario Pack ? ) which they fought often and eventually succumbed to. Also the addition of Mt.Everest as new natural wonder would make some sense in this context.
- if its true that Religion plays a bigger part in CivVI , its maybe a reason ( or excuse ) that India is ruled by Gandhi and not Ashoka, because this would leave the role of the Buddhist leader to Menander who was one of the first leaders ( besides Ashoka ) who converted to Buddhism and went to war against Hindu opposition to defend it several times.

In my opinion Menander would be a good fitting choice besides the "photo problem". On the coins he looks very much like " Joe Average" with headband.

Am I the only one that thinks the inconsistency in the selection of leaders here is weird; Victoria is selected because, in spite of not ever having any real power, she was the figurehead of the British empire, whilst Catherine de' Medicis is selected because, in spite of nominally having no power, she in fact held real power behind the scenes. It shows that there is no particular set rules for selecting rulers for Civ VI; instead, Firaxis is doing everything it can to ensure they fill a female quota. With this level of leniency with selecting rulers, it would be quite easy for them to have achieved a gender balance by having one male leader and one female leader for each civilisation.

Also, am I not the only one who would rather that Isabella of Castile was swapped for Phillip II than Catherine the Great was swapped for Peter the Great? Catherine was among Russia's most powerful imperial rulers, but in the case of Isabella, the same cannot be said of her standing in Spanish history when compared to other Spanish rulers; Spain had no colonial empire in her time, just around 600,000 kilometers squared of land in the kingdoms of Castile and Aragon, and yet the Spanish empire would go on to rule near 20 million square kilometers.

I don't know, just seems most probable answer is that either the forums don't have all of the guesses correct, or the paper just isn't in the exact order. I mean, what seems more likely--an incomplete/incorrect office pinup, or some of the exotic guesses we're seeing here making it as one of the "original 18" in the game?

No offense intended to anyone but I'm feeling confident we're not going to see a Ghaznavid Empire et al (at least being listed as such), just as I'm pretty sure we're not going to be seeing two Spains and zero Persias.

My two cents are that b5 is a Maria Theresa bust and for c5 all I can see is a rather old white bearded tan dude.

Realistically if they were in game they would be called Afghanistan, there is no hope in hell of thee Ghaznavid Empire appearing in a civ game with under 100 civs

It would be weird to call Ghaznavids as Afghanistan. The culture was mainly Persian, while the dynasty and military were Turkic. Geographically it was Afghanistan, but that would be the least important out of the three. For Afghanistan a Pasthun dynasty as the Durrani Empire would be more fitting.

Yes, normally I would expect Ghaznavis after the first 50 civs. Yet for diversity sake, it could be a surprise. I mean we didn't expect the Shoshone either.

I don't know, just seems most probable answer is that either the forums don't have all of the guesses correct, or the paper just isn't in the exact order. I mean, what seems more likely--an incomplete/incorrect office pinup, or some of the exotic guesses we're seeing here making it as one of the "original 18" in the game?

No offense intended to anyone but I'm feeling confident we're not going to see a Ghaznavid Empire et al (at least being listed as such), just as I'm pretty sure we're not going to be seeing two Spains and zero Persias.

No offense taken! They are fairly obscure but covered a large area. They were made up of Mamluks, Arabs, and primarily Ottomans though so I can see how they're not really their own Civ. Just trying to fit a new suggestion in that limited G range :D
Am I the only one that thinks the inconsistency in the selection of leaders here is weird; Victoria is selected because, in spite of not ever having any real power, she was the figurehead of the British empire, whilst Catherine de' Medicis is selected because, in spite of nominally having no power, she in fact held real power behind the scenes. It shows that there is no particular set rules for selecting rulers for Civ VI; instead, Firaxis is doing everything it can to ensure they fill a female quota. With this level of leniency with selecting rulers, it would be quite easy for them to have achieved a gender balance by having one male leader and one female leader for each civilisation.

Also, am I not the only one who would rather that Isabella of Castile was swapped for Phillip II than Catherine the Great was swapped for Peter the Great? Catherine was among Russia's most powerful imperial rulers, but in the case of Isabella, the same cannot be said of her standing in Spanish history when compared to other Spanish rulers; Spain had no colonial empire in her time, just around 600,000 kilometers squared of land in the kingdoms of Castile and Aragon, and yet the Spanish empire would go on to rule near 20 million square kilometers.

I would rather have a new Russian leader like Ivan the Terrible honestly but I suppose Peter again is fine. Catherine of course is never unappreciated.

So here are the reasonable possibilities I've seen for the Mystery Civs:

B5:
-Ghana
-Great Zimbabwe
-Goths
-Georgia(!!!)

C5:
-Mongolia
-Persia
-Ottomans
-Lakota
-Myanmar

Missing any? (Note that the operative word was reasonable.)

I think they're all wrong.

Specifically because it was pretty fast to find an image that mapped to the blurs for the rest, and no one has put forth a convincing pic for the last 2.

In before B5 turns out to be some random not-really-significant duchess from HRE that will be Germany's alternate female leader.
Really, tho, I do wonder who the last two rulers are, and why is it taking us so long to find them.

I think they're all wrong.

Specifically because it was pretty fast to find an image that mapped to the blurs for the rest, and no one has put forth a convincing pic for the last 2.

You earlier corrected me on saying that Victoria never actually ruled- what did you mean?

I'm quietly observing this thread from the first page because it seems that I'm always one step behind on something someone else has already noticed and stated

And yes, there was a point where I looked for pictures of Tamar of Georgia :queen:

I'm quietly observing this thread from the first page because it seems that I'm always one step behind on something someone else has already noticed and stated

And yes, there was a point where I looked for pictures of Tamar of Georgia :queen:

I think that you should keep looking for it. After so many times referring to her, I expect she will be in a future expansion.

I think that you should keep looking for it. After so many times referring to her, I expect she will be in a future expansion.

In terms of DLC, I suspect Armenia is more likely for a Civ from that region of the world; they had a quite impressively large empire at one point:
Spoiler :

In terms of DLC, I suspect Armenia is more likely for a Civ from that region of the world; they had a quite impressively large empire at one point:

You don't get the joke, right? Look back to this thread to see how many times the name of Tamar of Georgia is mentioned for B5.

Tamar is watching you. She is pleased with you.

Attachments

• Tamar (Vardzia fresco detail).jpg
    Tamar (Vardzia fresco detail).jpg
    237 KB · Views: 163
I still cannot find any picture that replicates any of the last two perfectly on any search engine. Is there perhaps a chance a team went out and took their own pictures of certain rulers?

As I was looking I found this statue of Osman I, founder of the Ottomans, that resembles C5 somewhat:

Spoiler :

Any chance B5 and C5 are really out of aphabetical order (not Tamar jokes, please :p) to give us a hard time? Has anyone checked for pictures of leaders that appeared on previous games? We might be missing some obvious choices if that's the case.

I still cannot find any picture that replicates any of the last two perfectly on any search engine. Is there perhaps a chance a team went out and took their own pictures of certain rulers?

As I was looking I found this statue of Osman I, founder of the Ottomans, that resembles C5 somewhat:

Spoiler :

Alternate angle of the same statue:

Spoiler :

It's not a bad likeness of C5 at all... I think it fits better if you imagine C5 was taken from a position slightly more clockwise around the statue.

Also, in all seriousness, now that I've been inspired to read up on Tamar, I REALLY want to see her in an expansion if she doesn't make it into vanilla ;)

Top Bottom