All leader portraits

I don't know if this will help anyone's search but that picture of Tomyris isn't actually an old portrait of her. It's a crop of a larger picture drawn in 1989 showing that female archer and a couple other warriors. I'd say it's proof that the pictures can be crops and don't necessarily need to be old. They don't even need to specifically be of the person they're representing. It is still a perfect match.
Spoiler :
I can attest that all of the pictures are cropped and resized from the source material (so folks doing analysis of size and position within the frame are wasting their time).

The illustration of the Scythian female archer is an Angus McBride illustration from the Osprey book on the Scythians; these are books primarily for miniatures wargaming and reenactment enthusiasts that show accurate period armor and military costume. I don't own the book, but I have read it. The female figure is identified in the caption as a Scythian "Female Commander"; this is what Tomyris' costume would have looked like (and if memory serves, the text mentions Tomyris as an example specifically).

In a web search for "tomyris", this is one of the only image results that presents a historically accurate costume; the others are from Renaissance-era paintings that are wildly inaccurate.

Oh man, Suleiman's turban and fez in that picture is so awesome! I really hope they include that. :D

Edit: oops. Missed two pages of the conversation again. I'll just add...did anyone check Tamar of Georgia? Seems like a good match. ;)

What's with Tamar of Georgia? And how did it became a meme?
A lot of people started independently suggesting her the leader between Germany and Greece even though there was no clear match. Eventually, it came up so often in the thread that people who knew better started suggesting it as a joke, Photoshopped some images with her in it, etc.

I hope C5 is Mongolia rather than Ottomans, because if there are neither Mongols nor SEA civs in base game then base game True Start Location maps will be screwed regarding balance :p overcrowded Europe-North Africa-Middle East and East Asia devoid of life with only China and Japan.

However if B5 and E1 end up European civs I will be really angry because half of civs being European would hurt not only TSL maps but game's diversity and coolness significantly. I mean, I wouldn't be concerned with it if not devs prior declarations 'yea we look at diversity and geographic balance more' :p

Was just out walking. A parked car had the vanity plate TMR4EVR. The legend is real.

I hope C5 is Mongolia rather than Ottomans, because if there are neither Mongols nor SEA civs in base game then base game True Start Location maps will be screwed regarding balance :p overcrowded Europe-North Africa-Middle East and East Asia devoid of life with only China and Japan.

However if B5 and E1 end up European civs I will be really angry because half of civs being European would hurt not only TSL maps but game's diversity and coolness significantly. I mean, I wouldn't be concerned with it if not devs prior declarations 'yea we look at diversity and geographic balance more' :p

I'd have to find the interview but when asked about TSL maps Ed did hesitate and say that it might not be there initially but expansions and DLC would help fill in the map.

I'm pretty convinced C5 is Xerxes of Persia. I took a side-by-side comparison of all of the matches to the originals and the pic I found way earlier in this thread seems pretty spot on. Check out the zoomed comparisons.

At the time some suggested the pic was too dark but compare the matches we've found for Hojo, Catherine, Barbarossa, etc.

Spoiler :

Admittedly I may have not cropped the match correctly but they match just as well as many of the other leaders we've confirmed.

I'm pretty convinced C5 is Xerxes of Persia. I took a side-by-side comparison of all of the matches to the originals and the pic I found way earlier in this thread seems pretty spot on. Check out the zoomed comparisons.

At the time some suggested the pic was too dark but compare the matches we've found for Hojo, Catherine, Barbarossa, etc.

Spoiler :

Admittedly I may have not cropped the match correctly but they match just as well as many of the other leaders we've confirmed.

Mhm, I dunno, the crown fits, but the dark spot for the beard moved pretty far to the left in the blurry one.

Mhm, I dunno, the crown fits, but the dark spot for the beard moved pretty far to the left in the blurry one.

And the background doesn't fit. And there should be a shiny bit beneath the tip of his beard.

The only thing that really fits is the hat, the beard, and the orientation of his head.

and the arm, and the hand, and the bright area under his beard.

Spoiler :

Again, compare our other "perfect" matches. Backgrounds and bright spots and dark spots appear all over the place. The fact that the background is brighter is irrelevant.

Brazil's has an entire black strip that isn't in the match.

To me that fits better than any of the Ottoman guesses but I'm still seeing a Mongol Khan.

Spoiler :

Fur hat with horsehair (like Mongols wear) and a circle chest-plate on leather armour. I did start checking Mayan statues to see if any of those fit but I ran out of notable leaders after Pacal and the Lady of Tikal.

Whether C5 is the Mongols, Ottomans or Persia it depends also on the scenarios they want to add at release (+first 4 DLC's). Do they want a classical period then Persia is more probable. A mongol invasion scenario requires the mongols. A scenario of medieval/renessaince/ industrial Europe requires the Ottomans to be in. They could substitute a required civ (1 of the 3 above) by "reworking" other civs , but that would be lame especially since in a future expansion the real civ will be in the game. So since most of the civs in the game are European, scenarios with Europe seems the most probable. With this perspective I see the Ottomans having more chance than the others. Since the Mongols will most probably be part in only a Mongol invasion scenario they seem the least probable out of the 3.
Also the Mongols can be substitute for Golden Horde, the Ottomans for Seljuks and Persia for other Iranian civs (Safavids, Afsharids, ...). From this point of view my expectation is from most pobable to least is as follows:
Ottomans - Persia - Mongols

<Snip>

Again, compare our other "perfect" matches. Backgrounds and bright spots and dark spots appear all over the place. The fact that the background is brighter is irrelevant.

Brazil's has an entire black strip that isn't in the match.

Some of those spots and strips are from the sharpening process and not in the original screenshot. Zoom in on Brazil in the original, and I don't see the strips on the edges like in the sharpened image.

Spoiler :

I don't see a match at all. The dark/light areas are completely off. For starters, the background is way too dark. The shape of the hat doesn't match, and the light areas around the hand are not at all bright enough to match what is seen on the image. The clothes are way too dark.

I can attest that all of the pictures are cropped and resized from the source material (so folks doing analysis of size and position within the frame are wasting their time).

The illustration of the Scythian female archer is an Angus McBride illustration from the Osprey book on the Scythians; these are books primarily for miniatures wargaming and reenactment enthusiasts that show accurate period armor and military costume. I don't own the book, but I have read it. The female figure is identified in the caption as a Scythian "Female Commander"; this is what Tomyris' costume would have looked like (and if memory serves, the text mentions Tomyris as an example specifically).

In a web search for "tomyris", this is one of the only image results that presents a historically accurate costume; the others are from Renaissance-era paintings that are wildly inaccurate.

This is really a bit strange that they took a depiction which is described as a "Scythian noblewoman " in the book , when ,on the very next page in this book, there is a depiction of a woman described in the Text as "Scythian Queen ". Maybe the first picture was additionally published somewhere else as "queen" ? Tomyris isn´t even mentioned in context of the two pictures in the Osprey book. One other thing to note is, that if the picture in the Osprey book is the original they took their copy from, it is rather small ( under two inches high ), so they must have enlarged it quite a bit.

Top Bottom