1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] All My Spies fled the same empire every few turns?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by dkmoo12, Oct 24, 2020.

1. dkmoo12

dkmoo12 Chieftain

Playing Diety Gorgo. I parked all my spies into Tamar b/c she's got the spaceports going. However, it's early impossible to get any mission completed b/c every couple of turns, they would all leave Tamar and the only message i get is that they "fled the city because a new empire is in power there". The cities are clearly still controlled by Tamar so really not sure why this is happening? Only think I can google is when a disaster destroys the city but that's not the case here. Only seem to trigger when there's a natural disaster ANYWHERE on the map, not just the city. Bug or am I missing something? Saved for the turn before is also attached.

Thanks 2020-10-24 (2).png

Attached Files:

nzcamel, 8housesofelixir and nauberry like this.
  2. cain3456

cain3456 King

Been having that issue as well

nauberry likes this.
  3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If you have the log files zipped I and the turn it happened on I can check if an ownership flip was identified in the game. If not then its a bug, likely around the alliance change where you cannot spy on allies.... you were not an ally right? It looks like you were ... or allies of allies may do it. In which case the text is misleading.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  4. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I had the same issue yesterday with a civ which with I had a DoF but not an Alliance, because I wanted to steal techs from them. The city in speak did not change hands. I think there's a bug in the new patch related to the "not spy on allies" change. :cringe:

nzcamel likes this.
  5. nauberry

nauberry Warlord

I have had it multiple times now. Whenever I choose an offensive spy mission on my neighbor cities (green smiley face, but not DoF or alliance), the spy mission gets cancelled. Also a popup says, that the spy mission was cancelled as a new power is in charge in the city.

nzcamel and slavaskii like this.
  6. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I have seen people on Reddit and Steam reporting their spies suddenly fleeing from the mission as well.

Probably a bug introduced by the new spying changes (which effectively eliminate all the spying missions - you cannot spy your allies and your spies flee from your non-allies).

7. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

It does not eliminate ALL spying missions. I successfully stole gold from Wilhemina several times, and she was unfriendly with me.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  8. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

So to narrow it down, the bug would be that spy mission get canceled at 'friendship' rather than 'alliance' as it was intended, am I getting it right?

nzcamel likes this.
  9. nauberry

nauberry Warlord

I didn't have a DoF with the civs, where the spies escaped.

nzcamel likes this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

No, it seems a bit more complicated than that. If you send a spy to an allied civ's city, it simply shows no valid missions in the mission panel when the spy arrives (i.e. mission panel is empty). In the case in speak, you can start the mission, but after a number of turns (not sure how many, not sure if it's always the same number, but it seems to trigger before the mission would end from my estimate), the spy gets send home with the message that "a new empire is in power there", i.e. as if another civ captured the city.

From what I experienced:
    - It does not trigger when civ is hostile (red smilyface).
    - It does not trigger when civ is unfriendly (yellow smilyface).
    - I don't know if it will trigger if relation is neutral (no smilyface) or friendly without DoF (green smilyface).
    - It does trigger if you have a DoF with the civ (cyan smilyface).
    - I also had a case where it triggered on the turn that my DoF expired, but we were still friendly (green smilyface) - whether there was a link or this was just coincidence I can't say, but my gut tells me it was just coincidence, since this also happened with the same civ before when DoF was active.

11. Gyrofalcon

Gyrofalcon Warlord

Just to clarify; Are we talking about ongoing games, before the October-patch, or also new games started after the patch?
    I had this behavior in my latest game, but that was started way before the patch.

nzcamel, 8housesofelixir and Karmah like this.
  12. dkmoo12

dkmoo12 Chieftain

My OP game is one continued from pre patch. Not sure about others who replied with same issue. Mine seem to happen whenever there's a disaster somewhere, but not sure if that's just coincidence bc I set disaster level to 4 and by the time I noticed it global warming was causing disasters every few turns somewhere on the map. Also I was friendly most AI so didn't consider if that was a cause. With Tamar I was DOF, not ally

13. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

My game was started post-patch, so that was not the issue.

I do use a number of mods, however, so it would be interesting to hear if people also have this issue in unmodded game.

14. cain3456

cain3456 King

Mine was continued from pre-patch. The only mod I use is Mappa Mundi.

15. Francel

Francel Warlord

Spies fleeing is absolutely a thing for me now. Happened to me the entire last game. FWIW I was at war with the target the entire time, and no cities changed hands. There was no plausible explanation I could discern other than being a new bug.

nzcamel and 8housesofelixir like this.
  16. elio86

elio86 Chieftain

I believe it’s a bug: it happened to me with a spy in an enemy capital, with whom I was at war - same message (...new power etc.).

17. dkmoo12

dkmoo12 Chieftain

Hmmm if it's happening to people you are at war with then it probably is not caused by ur direct relationship being friends with the target (either DOF or just the green happy face) as some had hypothesized that its a bug related both allied, or green/blue faces.

Did yours happen when there's a disaster as I originally hypothesized? I'm going to start a new game and turn off disaster to see if it goes away.

18. elio86

elio86 Chieftain

No there was no prior disaster. I believe - but that’s an hypothesis - that it was the turn in which the enemy (Dido) renewed her alliance with my ally (Amanitore), creating a chain through which the bug made my spy flee her capital.

19. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

It's just started happening for me now.

Things I was able to figure out about this issue (game up to date, all dlcs on steam, no rule-changing mods, playing as ginger asterix on small continents map, secret societies game mod, started post-patch):
    - happens to random spies regardless of their location and missions, but affects only offensive actions;
    - target civ's attitude towards the player, its changes, or diplomacy in general doesn't affect the bug;
    - government changes in target civs don't trigger the bug;
    - affects only a fraction of all spies at a time, i.e. some get bounced back while the rest remains; there doesn't seem to be a pattern for this expulsions;
    - THE BUG IS MOST LIKELY TRIGGERED BY THE RECRUIT PARTISANS MISSION AND BREAKS THE SPYING SYSTEM FOR THE REST OF THE GAME;
    - as long as the recruit partisans mission is not used, the game seems to work fine.

Someone needs to make a test by playing the game normally, and logging carefully what happens when recruit partisans is used for the first time.

EDIT:
    And Aztecs have just razed Granada... I thought it's not allowed to raze city states. I've never seen this happen before, and I've got more hours in Civ6 I care to admit.

EDIT2:
    Quitting to main menu and restarting the game seems to fix the issue.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  20. Brutalov_PhD

Brutalov_PhD Chieftain

I am seeing this issue as well, found this right before making my own thread so i'll just paste info from that below in case it helps anything:

Notification "SPY FLEES CITY - Your agent has fled the city since a new empire is in power there."

The cities in question did not actually change hands. It is not because of a changed alliance status. I have had this happen with several civs that were friendly, unfriendly, and at war. Some spies are able to consistently operate without fleeing unexpectedly, but a few are fleeing repeatedly before they can complete their first mission (did not try to switch the spies between a functioning and non-functioning city). This has happened with spies doing a variety of missions including siphon gold, steal tech, steal great work, gather sources, and various combinations of these. This has happened with either a single spy or multiple spies in the same city. When all of the spies randomly flee from a city, other spies/cities in the same civ and other civs are not affected. This is affecting about half of my spies recently. I don't recall being bothered by this problem until the late game when I had 3-4 spies operational but I could have just forgotten. Only happened in my most recent game, started after the patch.