All new slowdown in 2.08

MetHimPikeHoses

Unarmed Insurgent
Has anyone else noticed that Firaxis implemented an enhanced late-game slowdown in the new patch? I have... it's like playing the unpatched Vanilla Civ4 all over again. I'm in 1821 and the action has become a slog of a battle between my cpu and the program, with innocent framerates suffering unspeakable collateral damage.:ar15:

Hmm, might have to do with the AI changes? Taking more calculations and so on to do their move.

I haven't noticed all too much change so far. Perhaps you are playing a large map with many civs?

Calculations caused by different AI behaviour shouldn't harm framerates as all, as both calculations take place at completely different occasions.

I have played a few games with maybe just a little bit of slowdown, but now I am in the middle of an annoyingly lagging and freezing game. The game just freezes for 2-5 seconds almost every turn, and I'm playing year 425AD. Don't know what's happened, my 'puter is completely adequate and I've been able to play on huge maps with no problems (this is normal size, normal speed).

I have played a few games with maybe just a little bit of slowdown, but now I am in the middle of an annoyingly lagging and freezing game. The game just freezes for 2-5 seconds almost every turn, and I'm playing year 425AD. Don't know what's happened, my 'puter is completely adequate and I've been able to play on huge maps with no problems (this is normal size, normal speed).

Everytime I load a saved game, it took several minutes to get back into the game. I sort of noticed the slowness in this new patch.

It seemed pretty slow before the patch in the Industrial era....and stats recorded by Soma prove that out....and the patch didn't change it hardly at all as the curve for time between turns is quite similar actually.

Mad2rix said:
Everytime I load a saved game, it took several minutes to get back into the game. I sort of noticed the slowness in this new patch.
Playing on a Huge Lakes world it's always been slow from the Middle Ages on, but it does seem to have gotten a bit slower.

* It's taking a fair bit longer to load a saved game - there's quite a pause right at the end where the date has appeared in the top-right corner but nothing else has.

* AI opponents calculations might be a tiny bit slower, nothing too bad though.

* At the start of turn when one of my cities has built something the "What would you like to build next?" thing comes up, but there's a serious lag between it appearing and the map scrolling to the appropriate city and/or being able to select anything at all. Five or six seconds sometimes, which is very annoying.

Im having a lot of lag also. I have low graphics, frozen animations, no effects, fast combat, low textures terrain, etc etc, and every little thing i click takes a couple seconds to activate; VERY boring! You want to activate one unit inside a stack, 1 second; i click fortify, half second; shift selection, 2 seconds per unit picked; etc. To open a city screen is even worst, several seconds. Between turns i read one paragraph of a book i have here. Im thinking about removing global view and unit/ambience/interface sounds, but i dont think those are cause of lag. Damn! I used to play huge maps! Those slow dows i listed in this post were found in a DUEL map with 1 AI, that i started to check the new warlords features; Ill never be able to play a Terra map again, it seems...

All new slowdown in Patch 2.08 UPDATE:

I bought a AMD x2 4200+ w/ 2gigs and a PNY 6600. No more late game slowdown except a little slowing on HUGE w/ 24 civs. Anyhow, problem solved, until Civ 6.

Good luck to those who replied, I recommend cold hard cash.

Brancaleone said:
Im having a lot of lag also. I have low graphics, frozen animations, no effects, fast combat, low textures terrain, etc etc, and every little thing i click takes a couple seconds to activate; VERY boring! You want to activate one unit inside a stack, 1 second; i click fortify, half second; shift selection, 2 seconds per unit picked; etc. To open a city screen is even worst, several seconds. Between turns i read one paragraph of a book i have here. Im thinking about removing global view and unit/ambience/interface sounds, but i dont think those are cause of lag. Damn! I used to play huge maps! Those slow dows i listed in this post were found in a DUEL map with 1 AI, that i started to check the new warlords features; Ill never be able to play a Terra map again, it seems...

yeah the new slowdown sucks :(

the worst is when I go to a city screen to change tiles being worked

the lag is very annoying :mad:

MetHimPikeHoses said:
All new slowdown in Patch 2.08 UPDATE:

I bought a AMD x2 4200+ w/ 2gigs and a PNY 6600. No more late game slowdown except a little slowing on HUGE w/ 24 civs. Anyhow, problem solved, until Civ 6.

Good luck to those who replied, I recommend cold hard cash.
Wow...,

Buying new computer to play Civ4 warlords!!! :goodjob:

Regards,
Arto.

Meh. Just buy a comp that's good enough for Oblivion, and then you're set until the next TES release. =)

I bought another 1GB of RAM and so far it seems to be okay, but there's a noticeable lag in some places where there used to not be any before, even early in a game; but I don't consider it a problem. It's as though the new RAM causes burps at those points or something (such as a portion of the diplomacy screen and a couple fo other things). I haven't got deep enough into the game to see whether it solved my post-1900AD huge/marathon blues but it seems promising.

So if that's all I have to do it cost me like $190 (2 512 RAM's). Pretty ridiculous when you consider that I just bought Star Wars Empire at War and it works graphically flawlessly (though I haven't got too deep into that game -and- I haven't bothered to try to run it without the extra RAM). All I can say about the computer without the additional RAM is that though I didn't run STEAW on it I sure never had any problems with it before (MOHAA being that most garphic-intensive game before STEAW).

Bjorn190 said:
Its not a slowdown its a temporary FREEZE !

Yup! It's a freeze. When it freezes, you even can't get the Taskmanager from XP. This is good quality programming. Well done Firaxis. :goodjob:

Give me back the old patch, so I can play the game again. Right now, the game is unplayable. :mad:

Bjorn190 said:
Its not a slowdown its a temporary FREEZE !

yeah thats exactly what it is :(

Charles 22 said:
So if that's all I have to do it cost me like $190 (2 512 RAM's). Pretty ridiculous when you consider that I just bought Star Wars Empire at War and it works graphically flawlessly (though I haven't got too deep into that game -and- I haven't bothered to try to run it without the extra RAM). All I can say about the computer without the additional RAM is that though I didn't run STEAW on it I sure never had any problems with it before (MOHAA being that most garphic-intensive game before STEAW).
Agreed on the graphics front. I've modded mine, so that I have dozens of Star Destroyers and Hundreds of fighter squadrons in Tactical battles. No slowdown at all, despite complex graphics... I wouldn't advise buying the expansion yet (EaW: Forces of Corruption). It's hideously buggy. Doesn't crash, but there are so many gameplay bugs in it, it beggars belief. Planets blow up by themselves, in half the battles, you end up fighting your own forces, etc... I sincerely hope a new patc comes very soon...

Top Bottom