All of a sudden, the computer doesn't let me load my XML files!

Bahmo

King
I haven't the slightest idea why. These are files I added to mods I already had, and the error gives me no info as to what could be wrong!

It is the same sort of thing as I showed you in the other thread, except referring to the Leaderhead xmls. No explanation of why it failed is given. Might this be a problem with Vista? Loading modded documents has proved troublesome with Vista in the past.

Make sure that you are using the correct text encoding when saving XML files. This was my own initial pitfall...

Sorry; could you please clarify that?

Any time you save a text file, like with Notepad, you get to choose what encoding is used. It turns out there are several out there, and it says what encoding is valid on the first line:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="[B]ISO-8859-1[/B]"?>
(Some XML files seem to lack this information though, so I imagine something like UTF-8 would be ok also.)

Yeah, I forget the cache thing since I've disabled it myself...

Any time you save a text file, like with Notepad, you get to choose what encoding is used. It turns out there are several out there, and it says what encoding is valid on the first line:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="[B]ISO-8859-1[/B]"?>
(Some XML files seem to lack this information though, so I imagine something like UTF-8 would be ok also.)

If I read you correctly, I need to use the same encoding for everything? Or am I wrong?

Also, could you please explain the cache thing, too.

If I read you correctly, I need to use the same encoding for everything? Or am I wrong?
Actually, I wouldn't know. :p It was a while since I did any XML work myself.

Also, could you please explain the cache thing, too.
Caching pretty much means that the game doesn't bother reading something every single time. Instead it relies on earlier cached data, which speeds things up.

Try setting these lines in \My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini:
Code:
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 1

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 1

Caching pretty much means that the game doesn't bother reading something every single time. Instead it relies on earlier cached data, which speeds things up.

Try setting these lines in \My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini:
Code:
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 1

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 1

Didn't work; although I only did that to the game's own files, not the mod's.

Do you know anybody who might know what to do about encoding?

Top Bottom