All Present and Accounted For - The Voice Audio Thread

Tab911

Chieftain
The unit selection voices are a very minor area of the game that you will only notice in the civ you are playing. That said, given the prevalence of high quality audio recording equipment these days along with how easy it is to make wav files and the international scope of our community, I was hoping to offer a bit of polish on this area of the game. I've compiled a list of civilizations that do not have their own unit voices, if we are able to replace them with authentic and high quality ones, then we should. If anyone is capable of (or providing directions and asking someone else to) voicing anything on this list, I would appreciate if you could record lines--I think it's 8 action quotes and 10 selections--in wav format. There may also be files hanging around from old mods as well. There's a reference guide here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDA4ECAD931A2B0E7
I don't know the best way to do the file-sharing, I would appreciate any recommendations in the thread. The xml work is very simple, I can handle that.

Spoiler Civ List :

Canada - Using English as of now which is actually quite close but I reckon we may be able to do better.
Mexico - Using Spanish but it would be great to get the Mexican variety which is quite different. I have a potential lead on this one from Mexico City but anyone else is welcome to jump in.

Colombia - The Colombian accent is distinct from anywhere in Latin America and--if possible--worthy of unique dialogue.
Peru - I haven't played them as a re-spawn so they may currently just use Quechua. I am also not familiar with the Peruvian dialect so I will leave this to others.
Argentina - A very European variety of Spanish for Latin America but nonetheless distinct. Like any of these, I will take it if I get it.
Brazil - Not familiar with the difference from European Portuguese.

Congo - There are more than 200 languages spoken in the Congo River Basin, I will be happy to get one of these. Primarily these are Bantu languages so Zulu is a closer alternative than Bambara (Mali).
Morocco - From what I understand, "proper" Arabic is the official language spoken in professional capacities but the local dialect Darja is spoken by everyday people. I think Arabic is satisfactory unless we can do better.
Egypt - Not aware in default but currently in Merjin's excellent modcomp (which I will get to later) the Mamluks use Arabic. The default "Egyptian" is actually a dialect of Arabic spoken in Egypt today. In the DoC future we will have new civs instead of re-spawns so the vanilla Egyptian can be kept for the Mamluks. This means that we need the ancient language for authenticity's sake. Ancient languages will be difficult so maybe we can start with the famous and infamous AoM lines here:

Turks (Central Asia) - This will be hard to find, Uzbek or Kazakh would be most accurate.
Mughals - Farsi was actually the official language but I wouldn't mind Urdu here.
Tamils - Fingers crossed for Tamil
Thailand - Royal Thai is actually derived from Khmer so we can probably leave this
Indonesia - Bahasa Indonesia, Javanese or Sundanese. Any of the three would work.
Tibet - Tibetan may be hard to find. If we get Burmese, the two are quite similar but I don't think we will find either.

Italian - The Polish we get with DoC is good enough but the Italian could probably be replaced by someone with better recording quality.

Spoiler Merjin Civs :

I picked up this modcomp last night and currently I am implementing VD for the new civs. Working with the civs xml gave me this idea in the first place. I could put the files up today but I currently have the new civs using full art style copies... I'd like to have each one be unique. Anyway, here is the list:

Australia - Would love to get the most stereotypical Aussie accent for this one, it's half the charm of playing them.
Burma* - Burmese is distinct from Khmer so it would be nice to get.
Vietnam - Although similar to Khmer, I actually don't think this one will be hard to find so it would be great to add.
Manchuria - Ought to keep Mandarin as it is the most accurate representation for the whole region.
Philippines - Tagalog would be welcome.

Hungary* - Hungarian may already exist, Avian (creator of VD) made a unique VD and citystyle component for Hungary that may be worth investigating.
Kievan Rus* - Old East Slavic or Ukrainian ideally, but these are not too different from Russian so not a huge priority.
Sweden - I managed to find Danish voice lines which are closer to modern Swedish than Old Norse. I am using them for now until we can do better.

Mamluks - As previously mentioned we need Ancient Egyptian but vanilla covers modern Egypt.
Nigeria - Same language family as Bambara but it would be better if we can get Yoruba or Igbo.
South Africa - XML is using Dutch on orders and Zulu on selection which is clever but I think just Zulu best represents the majority of the civ.
Swahili - I manged to find and implement Swahili
Zimbabwe - Shona is the best fit here and it is similar to Zulu so also not a priority.

*Not yet implemented

I only have mild humour to contribute, except for one actual but useless fact. So here goes:
Canada should be 1/4 French, modern Egypt is the best Egypt but AoM is very funny, and when I first read the post, I thought that you were offering a bit of Polish.

The actual useless fact is that the Celts speak modern Irish which is Q-Celtic despite being a mainly Gaulish/Brythonic/P-Celtic civ, and furthermore it is clear that the speaker is not a first-language Gaeilgeoir (no offence but they talk like I do when I speak it!).

The unit selection voices are a very minor area of the game that you will only notice in the civ you are playing. That said, given the prevalence of high quality audio recording equipment these days along with how easy it is to make wav files and the international scope of our community, I was hoping to offer a bit of polish on this area of the game. I've compiled a list of civilizations that do not have their own unit voices, if we are able to replace them with authentic and high quality ones, then we should. If anyone is capable of (or providing directions and asking someone else to) voicing anything on this list, I would appreciate if you could record lines--I think it's 8 action quotes and 10 selections--in wav format. There may also be files hanging around from old mods as well. There's a reference guide here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDA4ECAD931A2B0E7
I don't know the best way to do the file-sharing, I would appreciate any recommendations in the thread. The xml work is very simple, I can handle that.

Spoiler Civ List :

Canada - Using English as of now which is actually quite close but I reckon we may be able to do better.
Mexico - Using Spanish but it would be great to get the Mexican variety which is quite different. I have a potential lead on this one from Mexico City but anyone else is welcome to jump in.

Colombia - The Colombian accent is distinct from anywhere in Latin America and--if possible--worthy of unique dialogue.
Peru - I haven't played them as a re-spawn so they may currently just use Quechua. I am also not familiar with the Peruvian dialect so I will leave this to others.
Argentina - A very European variety of Spanish for Latin America but nonetheless distinct. Like any of these, I will take it if I get it.
Brazil - Not familiar with the difference from European Portuguese.

Congo - There are more than 200 languages spoken in the Congo River Basin, I will be happy to get one of these. Primarily these are Bantu languages so Zulu is a closer alternative than Bambara (Mali).
Morocco - From what I understand, "proper" Arabic is the official language spoken in professional capacities but the local dialect Darja is spoken by everyday people. I think Arabic is satisfactory unless we can do better.
Egypt - Not aware in default but currently in Merjin's excellent modcomp (which I will get to later) the Mamluks use Arabic. The default "Egyptian" is actually a dialect of Arabic spoken in Egypt today. In the DoC future we will have new civs instead of re-spawns so the vanilla Egyptian can be kept for the Mamluks. This means that we need the ancient language for authenticity's sake. Ancient languages will be difficult so maybe we can start with the famous and infamous AoM lines here:

Turks (Central Asia) - This will be hard to find, Uzbek or Kazakh would be most accurate.
Mughals - Farsi was actually the official language but I wouldn't mind Urdu here.
Tamils - Fingers crossed for Tamil
Thailand - Royal Thai is actually derived from Khmer so we can probably leave this
Indonesia - Bahasa Indonesia, Javanese or Sundanese. Any of the three would work.
Tibet - Tibetan may be hard to find. If we get Burmese, the two are quite similar but I don't think we will find either.

Italian - The Polish we get with DoC is good enough but the Italian could probably be replaced by someone with better recording quality.

Spoiler Merjin Civs :

I picked up this modcomp last night and currently I am implementing VD for the new civs. Working with the civs xml gave me this idea in the first place. I could put the files up today but I currently have the new civs using full art style copies... I'd like to have each one be unique. Anyway, here is the list:

Australia - Would love to get the most stereotypical Aussie accent for this one, it's half the charm of playing them.
Burma* - Burmese is distinct from Khmer so it would be nice to get.
Vietnam - Although similar to Khmer, I actually don't think this one will be hard to find so it would be great to add.
Manchuria - Ought to keep Mandarin as it is the most accurate representation for the whole region.
Philippines - Tagalog would be welcome.

Hungary* - Hungarian may already exist, Avian (creator of VD) made a unique VD and citystyle component for Hungary that may be worth investigating.
Kievan Rus* - Old East Slavic or Ukrainian ideally, but these are not too different from Russian so not a huge priority.
Sweden - I managed to find Danish voice lines which are closer to modern Swedish than Old Norse. I am using them for now until we can do better.

Mamluks - As previously mentioned we need Ancient Egyptian but vanilla covers modern Egypt.
Nigeria - Same language family as Bambara but it would be better if we can get Yoruba or Igbo.
South Africa - XML is using Dutch on orders and Zulu on selection which is clever but I think just Zulu best represents the majority of the civ.
Swahili - I manged to find and implement Swahili
Zimbabwe - Shona is the best fit here and it is similar to Zulu so also not a priority.

*Not yet implemented

the Brazilian and Portuguese accents are quite different, while the Brazilian one is more "open" the Portuguese one is more "closed".
I found a video that illustrates this difference in accents.

Last edited:
Where's Polynesia? Last time I checked they shared audio files with the Inca. May I suggest Tonga or Hawaiian for them.

It is clear that the speaker is not a first-language Gaeilgeoir (no offence but they talk like I do when I speak it!).

I just heard it and it totally sounds like some kind of Irish or Scottish accent.

Top Bottom