All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Not so fast, my friend! :D We'll have to wait until after November 16....then we can riot if there's no announcement.

Kimiimaro likes this.
  2. Rup

Rup Warlord

Introducing fan favourite fan made scenario Rhyse and Fall for Rise and Fall.
    Me low-key wanted that :/

3. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Ah, forgot about that Switch thingy :D

Allright, since it's less than a month, I guess it's sustainable.

Guandao likes this.
  4. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

If it weren't for X-Com 2 getting that tactical pack recently after the 6 year anniversary of the modern X-Com, I wouldn't have expected anything for the 2 year anniversary of Civ VI.

5. torfish

torfish Chieftain

I'm going to be very general. My opinion of what a Civ VI next expansion must include:
    • New Civs
    • Late game additions (I love the early and mid-game. Late game is too boring and predictable)
    • AI improvements
    Want I would like to see:
    • New emergency events or a revamp. I love the concept! Just needs more fleshed out.
    • More units variety
    What I don't need:

More scenarios (I never play them)

Elhoim and RohirrimElf like this.
  6. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Before CiVII there will be the 'related spin-off' product. Something like 'Colonization' or 'CIVBERT'. I have my fingers crossed for the Bronze Age 'Ancient Civilizations' game.

Hawke9 likes this.
  7. RagnorIronpants

RagnorIronpants Chieftain

I doubt three expansions but I think 2.5 is a possibility (depending on sales), plus smaller DLC, and also patches that introduce minor mechanics. I'm basing this hunch on the example of X-com 2's DLCs and some of the previous Civ 6 patches (like the big religion one).

Also: I will be very surprised & disappointed if a colonisation mechanic, designed to improve the late game and make use of the new continents feature, is not a core feature of the next expansion.

8. Myomoto

Myomoto King

That may be the case, but if the projected return on investment is just barely enough to break even for a third expansion, I don't see why not just start developing the new game - and then spend 1 year to churn out its first expansion that will have the highest projected ROI for an expansion.

Wouldn't the updates stopping indicate that the content in finished and they're ready to record the youtube trailer? ;););)

9. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

You're over thinking it.

If there were 10 Civs in XP2 it would still put the Civ count at 44, which would make it +1.

10 Civs in a final xpac would not be out of the realm of the possible.

Dooooooooooom.

nzcamel likes this.
  10. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

True but I think them following the pattern set by the first expansion of 8 new civs plus one alternate leader is more likely. With Civ V, Brave New World had 10 new Civs the same as Gods and Kings.

11. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I'm betting on 10 Civs rather than a 3rd expansion. I'm highly doubtful of a 3rd expansion.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They both had 9, not 10.

13. Reckoner

Reckoner Chieftain

Lack of activity might also indicate that final testing was successful and the project is ready to launch.
    Do they usually proceed with testing after the initial announcement is made?

14. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Dont get to exited. It could take till spring 2019 till we see an expansion announcement.

nzcamel, Leathaface, Guandao and 2 others like this.
  15. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Truly a doomsayer.

16. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yea, that is a problem that does not inspire confidence.

In Civ 4, the last expansion had some good features but were not refined and they kinda just left it broken. I really can't speak for Civ 5, but it seemed like the changes for its 1st expansion was more radical and had a new developer compared to Civ 6's relatively more modest changes.

Honestly, while I think they did a good job with Civ 6, I couldn't forsee them doing it in 3-4 changes.

I dunno, it just seems like they always seem to abandon it just before it becomes perfect.

17. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

If they were going to announce something new for the second anniversary (small DLC or second expansion), I would have expected it to happen this morning, if not yesterday.

If a small DLC, I would expect it to be available immediately, so no testing yesterday would have been consistent with announcement and release today.

If the second expansion, there will be weeks of first looks and such before release, so testing would continue until release.

I expect some sort of new content to be announced before Christmas, probably after the Switch release in November. I'm not certain it will be the second expansion, although that is more likely than a small DLC, IMO. If it is the expansion, it won't be released until sometime in 2019.

Deliverator, Kjimmet, Leyrann and 7 others like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Yeah, I'm surprised there's not a 2nd anniversary patch, and perhaps some minor bonus. I remember back at R&F launch there was talk of adding in a Poundmaker Cree scenario as a 'peace offering' around that controversy, for example.

I wouldn't expect a second expansion announcement until after the switch release (assuming an announcement is even coming this year), but I wouldn't think a patch announcement would be included in those marketing calculations.

19. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

:cry:
    But it can be a good thing. More time for Firaxis to polish up this 2nd expansion. I think R&F was pretty rushed.
    I remember the expansions for Civ5 being released during the summer.

TahamiTsunami and RohirrimElf like this.
  20. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

I'm a bit curious about current content availability across platforms:
    1. On Mac - did they finally catch up and are they at the same patch level as PC?
    2. Does the iPad version have any DLC or R&F available on it?
    3. What about patches, do they have all of the current patched content as of the final 2018 patch on iPad?

The reason I am asking, is mostly to see what content we expect on the Switch. If it is only Vanilla (which I expect), it seems unlikely that even a Patch for PC would come out around that time. They might even hold back on a content update of any kind for the older (PC) Platform more than we think, just so as to not overshadow the Switch Release.

"New on Switch, this game from 2016 - but if you have it on the PC you get this patch update right now - which fixes all these things that are wrong with the product we are trying to sell you!", isn't really the best marketing to sell those Switch copies of the game. Clearly that's their target revenue for the 2018 holiday season.

On the other hand, if the iPad version got released with the very latest patch, or got a patch soon after launch that puts it at the same patch level as the PC, only then would I expect a PC/Mac patch for November.

Now that the 2nd anniversary milestone is in the rear-view mirror, It makes me think an announcement of Schrodinger's 2019 Expansion is likely to come in late November at the earliest with no actual Patch or small DLC on the horizon for 2018 at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.