All Roads Lead to War!!!

Arathorn

Catan player
I have a long, storied history with always war games. Zealous Zulus, back in Civ3, was the first always war game ever. "I Came, I SAW, I..." is one of the most read Civ3 stories. I'm not that comfortable with Civ6 yet.

All Roads Lead to War is a Monarch level Always War game. That includes city-states. For those not familiar with the Always War variant, it means declaring war on every civ the first turn you meet them, and then staying at war until one or the other of you is conquered.

I'll be posting videos as soon as they are available on youtube. I stream live on Twitch when I'm playing. Comments, suggestions, etc. are welcomed.

It's been an interesting start. Not sure but what barbarians are better fighters than other civilizations, though. And Monarch might have been too easy. In Civ3/Civ4, always war was about a 1.5-2 level jump in difficulty. We'll see. Definitely very fun.

Hi Arathorn,

you got to up the ante. I have beaten emperor AW in Civ6 easily. The AI are a pushover in this game.

ThERat, I'm way out of practice. But, yeah, I think you're right. I was thinking my next game might well be Immortal Perpetual War. Or should I go straight to Deity? But I've been very disappointed with the AI in Civ6. I've never lost a city -- why the heck not? Frankly, I lose about 1 unit/game, too, which is just ridiculous. It needs a clue.

I have put the game aside for now as the AI is abysmal and sucks any fun out of warmonger games (+the war weariness penalties are far too rigid)

Good to see more old faces, maybe we should have a succession game (AW deity islands?). I love the AW variant. While I like civ6 the AI is a bit of a pushover. You could go straight to deity, I have beaten deity AW continents with Aztecs and Scythia. Aztecs are a blast with all the workers you get early and they can rush districts. If you want a challenge try an islands map. It is a bit more difficult as there are so many approach routs and it is hard when you don't have someone to steamroll in the first 40 turns to give you the leg up. Have fun.

I think an SG would make things more manageable and see things from different perspectives. 3 AW games and I am burnt out due to AI and UI. I am hoping for some proper patch to balance things and maybe address war weariness etc.

I think I have the WW figured out and what civics to go for, no problems in my 2nd game. Aztecs are great also because each amenity goes to 6 cities. You just have to wipe out civs, never raze, give back citystates, and keep the cities small and on production until a bit after the civ has been assimilated, get up entertainment and get to those happy civics.

I think, that's what i did most of the time. I completely dislike the 'luxury go into 4 cities' feature. I remember in Civ3/4, getting a new luxury was really a moment to be happy about as it would boost your whole empire. Now, the random assignment according to amenities makes it weird.

Aztecs get it for 6 cities? Wow, talking about OP, that's a 50% boost for luxuries.

I've thought about doing a SG, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Games are plenty short as is. I'm not sure I want to break it up into 30 parts to do almost nothing.

One thing about Civ5 and Civ6 is that they just aren't as grand in scope and commitment as Civ3 and Civ4 were. I understand the change, but I miss grand battles with lots of casualties. That is, I miss having casualties. :p

You could be right. 1upt alone makes sure that there are no epic battles.

That alone will never make Civ5/6 being on a similar level than Civ3/4. As sad as it is. 1upt ensures a horribly exposed AI in its full, dumb glory

Top Bottom