ALL SCIENCE Strategy Guide

JohnnyKing

Chieftain
In this post, I am going to share with you a strategy that I have been using for a long time and made me won on Immortal (I haven't tried this on Deity).

What will the strategy cover?
Building science buildings and a tech tree path to make sure you get to modern era before any other civ in your map.

How is that any different from previous guides?
Simple, the other guides rely heavily on getting early wonders first. In my guide, we are only going to need Great Library and Hanging Gardens (for the full effect, Oxford University)

Can any one perform it?
No. I wouldn't recommend this to players who are new on Civ.

Using this, how can I win?
You can either win a science victory or a domination one since you are in front of any other player's technology.

Let's begin.
1. Setting Up
2. Tech Tree
3. Social Policies
4. Expanding and buildings
5. Biggest choice in game
6. Army
7. Diplomacy

1. Where to set up is the fundemental of your victory. For your first location, you are going to need a hell of a lot luxuries since you will need to found 3-4 cities at the same time and thus, majorly decreasing your happiness level. I don't pay attention to Golden Ages and so should you. Your first city must have around at least 1-2 luxuries for this. After researching Philosophy, you are going to need to settle around 5-6 cities in 10 turns time and have them all build science buildings. We'll see in a sec.

2. Tech Tree is all about making the right choices and that will guide you through the rest of the game. Not any notes just the scheme for here.
Start by pottery, then writing. From that point to Construction and after that, Mathematics so you can build Hanging Gardens. Build the GL if you haven't already. Then, go to Calendar for the luxury resources. After that it is Philoshopy, which allows you to build further Science Buildings. After that, start making settlers, you will need 5-6 of them. While you do that, point the research to Education, granting you entrance to the Medieval Era. From that point, you have 5-6 settlers and almost reached Medieval Era. You need atleast 3 of those cities to be in a mountain for the Observatories. After you completed Education and have 6 cities of which 3 are by a mountain, start going for the Astrology and after that, build as many Observatories as you can. If you have enough money, you can just buy Universities in said cities. After this, head straight for the Scientific Theory and after that, spam school buildings. After, head for the Plastics and If you need, have a city for building an army. The next second, get the Penicillin and build Hospitals on all your cities to help their growth. Then, it's Rocketry> Satellites.

3. For the social policies, it's needless to say that you need Tradition (Full), Rationalism (Full) and Liberty. The order of which can be adjusted to your game style. As for the ideologies, I have no clue what's the best. If I am first, I go with Liberty, but I cannot say for you.

4. The buildings you are going to need are mostly science one. However, you need one to help you with building an army to take down the enemy empires (DON'T START A WAR WITH OTHER EMPIRES). That is always my second city after the capital, in which I situate it near the capital so I can have a quick army whenever I need it. Generally, every city you found must build like this: Monument (Only on capital)> Granary> Library> Worker> Settler. It can however be adjusted to accommodate your playing style. After building enough Settlers, start by making every single science building and If your city is weak in hammers, workshop is always there for you.

5. After you research Satellites, your biggest choice is there. You can either head to build Spaceship Parts, or wipe out all the enemies since you are so advanced in Technology. The thing is, you cannot change it (at least I can't). The huge costs of the Science research makes for a choice that is with you for the rest of your game. If you are aiming for the Science Victory, head off to the spaceship parts. If you are heading for a domination victory, get the XCOM Squad and Stealth and you are going to rock. Either way, second think about your thought.

6. You don't have to worry about your army, mainly because you are going to be so ahead in Technology, that you are going to be able to complete Manhattan Project by 1780. However, I always have my second city be army only and build a lot of army units there. Also, If you happen to get attacked, you are going to be in Modern Era and in that case, your city is going to fire missiles as defense, pwning every singe war tile an enemy can have.

7. The diplomacy is an important part of this guide. You are going to need to be friendly with all Civs, and RA spam them. Also, what's most helpful is that if you gain spies, you can rig elections on the City-States and have extra luxury resources and thus, gain more happiness. Also, City-States that are allies, make for an extremely good army to take down the ones that have declared war on you. I played this in a map with 12 players on Immortal, and had zero problems with the other Civs, mainly because I just give 'em stuff for cheap, declare our friendships, and doing whatever they tell me to do.

This is my first guide on your site, and though I may be a new user, I do play Civ since the very first one back in '92. I really hope you enjoyed this, I am going to update it for Byzantines and Religion play, but until then, any advice or improvement is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have deleted the wonder parts and now you aren't required to have any wonders. I have also made some corrections on diplomacy. I got them with lines for 2 days and they will be properly deleted so you can see why I did take such an action. Also, besides for criticizing, I would like you to appreciate the time I went through this. Most of you "Veterans" just say Wonders aren't exactly a great action. I can agree with that and as you can see I have deleted it. Stop the hate.

This strategy might work on Prince difficulty but it wont work on Immortal, Deity or multiplayer.

Oh no! You broke the cardinal rule. Wait for it. It's coming.

I am just kidding by the way. Thanks for the time and effort. But recommending early wonders for higher levels can get you raked across the coals around here. I do think both GL and HG are a bit much for immortal. Pretty sure its close to impossible at Deity, where with the wrong civs in the game, they could both be gone by t30-40. GL is nearly always gone by then at the latest.

Welcome to CivFanatics!

start going for the Astrology

:rolleyes:

On a more constructive note: for Emperor and below, I would research Calendar after Writing (instead of Construction) so you can pick Philosophy once you finish the GL and start on the NC immediately. Generally, you won't have more than 2-3 good spots to settle at this stage, and 5-6 cities is a stretch even on Emperor - you will bleed Gold fast once Infrastructure such as Granaries/Libraries/Unis are up in all those cities in addition to having Happiness issues. Babylon is the best Civ to play with this type of opening strategy and you can find a guide here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=503647.

GL and HG are both available on immortal if you've got good starting dirt and beeline writing and mathematics right away.

GL and HG are both available on immortal if you've got good starting dirt and beeline writing and mathematics right away.

I've played with this lots since both wonders are very nice and there's synergy between them and great synergy for Babz and that early GS point from GL enhanced by the free garden. Of course the extra food means more citizens to take advantage of the free library etc.

I've seen the GL taken by an AI on turn 33 (all this is Immortal) although another time I've managed to get it on turn 40. But if you can't get it by mid/late 30's it is quite risky to shoot for it and that requires good dirt and usually an early culture ruin so you can open Aristocracy after Legalism and not slow Tradition's progress by not having Legalism and the free +2 cpt.

HG on Immortal tends to be grabbed by an AI in the late 60's but can go in the mid 60's and again without good dirt and hopefully 1 or 2 pop added from ruins you may miss it. Of course a worker(s) to improve production tiles is a must.

EDIT: HG was taken by an AI civ last night on turn 59 in my Bab Immortal game. No way you're getting it by then in a typical BO unless you forgo building a NC first.

GL is only possible on deity if you pop a lucky Writing ruin (or are somehow really lucky and all the AIs forget about it). HG is doable but it requires beelining the tech since the AI likes it, which is a little awkward since it's a Classical era tech that isn't Philosophy or Construction.

Guys, I am only sharing my opinions and experiences here. I have won on multiplayer + Immortal with this.

Ofcourse, the early wonders aren't exactly OK with Immortal difficulty. Just play and find the balance.

Oh no! You broke the cardinal rule. Wait for it. It's coming.

I am just kidding by the way. Thanks for the time and effort. But recommending early wonders for higher levels can get you raked across the coals around here. I do think both GL and HG are a bit much for immortal. Pretty sure its close to impossible at Deity, where with the wrong civs in the game, they could both be gone by t30-40. GL is nearly always gone by then at the latest.

Welcome to CivFanatics!

Oh damn, no more Wonders from here on in.

If I understand you, you've outlined a strategy that requires:
* 4-5 luxuries at the capital
* Two early wonders the AI likes
* Space for six cities
* Three of which must be by mountains
* Friendly with all Civs
* To achieve a dominant tech lead

What's the plan B? I agree that if you achieve all of these things, you can win the VC of your choice. I've never seen the stars align on Emperor+ with standard settings for this to be a reliable strategy - any more than "Play Spain and settle awesome natural wonders first" is.

* Space for six cities
* Friendly with all Civs

What's the plan B? I agree that if you achieve all of these things, you can win the VC of your choice. I've never seen the stars align on Emperor+ with standard settings for this to be a reliable strategy - any more than "Play Spain and settle awesome natural wonders first" is.

I think you don't understand. I never said that you must be friendly with all Civs. I pointed out to RA spam them. Second, I never said you can win with this strategy. For some it may be a good overall strategy, for some, they take some parts and make it an opening. I don't understand why you are so narrowminded in the first place.

I think you don't understand. I never said that you must be friendly with all Civs. I pointed out to RA spam them. Second, I never said you can win with this strategy. For some it may be a good overall strategy, for some, they take some parts and make it an opening. I don't understand why you are so narrowminded in the first place.
OK. So when you write: "The diplomacy is an important part of this guide. You are going to need to be friendly with all Civs" You don't mean that I must be friendly with all Civs. I'm being narrowminded when I read your words and assume they have meaning.

Good day, sir.

* Space for six cities
* Friendly with all Civs

I agree with Winsling, your guide needs Plan B. GL is not always viable in Immortal, how would you make up those 10-15 turns lost building it? Assuming you manage to get both GL and HG, the AI will already expand, meaning it's very unlikely to have 6 good city spots, not to mention 3 next to mountains. And, building 6 cities will definitely piss of your neighbour, making it very likely they will DoW you early, before you have enough resource to bribe. Oh, and I don't think you can have 5 lux in your 3 tiles range. Even on legendary start, the best you can get is 3 copy of same lux + 1 other unique lux. The 5th lux will be at best in your 4th-5th tile, meaning you won't improve it until much later.

The final post in this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=503647&page=3 is by me and mostly describes a game I played on Emperor with a very good Babylon start going GL then NC first. With that start I probably could've gotten GL playing Immortal. On Immortal if wanting HG I'd have to build it right after NC and prior to hard building two settles or I'd be a big risk of losing it. However, if building HG, them I have only the 1 purchased settler and could lose two city sites to the AI playing a high level like Immortal.

I may replay this start a couple times to see if I am better off not building the GL and just going worker and library and growth instead, but I am rather sure that here the GL paid off with a stronger game, but heaven forbid that you miss it. I've seen it taken as early as turn 41 playing Emp and it usually is gone by turn 47.

Simple, the other guides rely heavily on getting early wonders first. In my guide, we are only going to need Great Library and Hanging Gardens.

What.

The final post in this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=503647&page=3 is by me and mostly describes a game I played on Emperor with a very good Babylon start going GL then NC first. With that start I probably could've gotten GL playing Immortal. On Immortal if wanting HG I'd have to build it right after NC and prior to hard building two settles or I'd be a big risk of losing it. However, if building HG, them I have only the 1 purchased settler and could lose two city sites to the AI playing a high level like Immortal.

I may replay this start a couple times to see if I am better off not building the GL and just going worker and library and growth instead, but I am rather sure that here the GL paid off with a stronger game, but heaven forbid that you miss it. I've seen it taken as early as turn 41 playing Emp and it usually is gone by turn 47.

Yeah GG man but it's not a place for ads.

In this post, I am going to share with you a strategy that I have been using for a long time and made me won on Immortal (I haven't tried this on Deity).

What will the strategy cover?
Building science buildings and a tech tree path to make sure you get to modern era before any other civ in your map.

How is that any different from previous guides?
Simple, the other guides rely heavily on getting early wonders first. In my guide, we are only going to need Great Library and Hanging Gardens (for the full effect, Oxford University)

Can any one perform it?
No. I wouldn't recommend this to players who are new on Civ.

Using this, how can I win?
You can either win a science victory or a domination one since you are in front of any other player's technology.

Let's begin.
1. Setting Up
2. Tech Tree
3. Social Policies
4. Expanding and buildings
5. Biggest choice in game
6. Army
7. Diplomacy

1. Where to set up is the fundemental of your victory. For your first location, you are going to need a hell of a lot luxuries since you will need to found 3-4 cities at the same time and thus, majorly decreasing your happiness level. I don't pay attention to Golden Ages and so should you. Your first city must have around at least 4-5 luxuries for this. After researching Philosophy, you are going to need to settle around 5-6 cities in 10 turns time and have them all build science buildings. We'll see in a sec.

2. Tech Tree is all about making the right choices and that will guide you through the rest of the game. Not any notes just the scheme for here.
Start by pottery, then writing. From that point to Construction and after that, Mathematics so you can build Hanging Gardens. Build the GL if you haven't already. Then, go to Calendar for the luxury resources. After that it is Philoshopy, which allows you to build further Science Buildings. After that, start making settlers, you will need 5-6 of them. While you do that, point the research to Education, granting you entrance to the Medieval Era. From that point, you have 5-6 settlers and almost reached Medieval Era. You need atleast 3 of those cities to be in a mountain for the Observatories. After you completed Education and have 6 cities of which 3 are by a mountain, start going for the Astrology and after that, build as many Observatories as you can. If you have enough money, you can just buy Universities in said cities. After this, head straight for the Scientific Theory and after that, spam school buildings. After, head for the Plastics and If you need, have a city for building an army. The next second, get the Penicillin and build Hospitals on all your cities to help their growth. Then, it's Rocketry> Satellites.

3. For the social policies, it's needless to say that you need Tradition (Full), Rationalism (Full) and Liberty. The order of which can be adjusted to your game style. As for the ideologies, I have no clue what's the best. If I am first, I go with Liberty, but I cannot say for you.

4. The buildings you are going to need are mostly science one. However, you need one to help you with building an army to take down the enemy empires (DON'T START A WAR WITH OTHER EMPIRES). That is always my second city after the capital, in which I situate it near the capital so I can have a quick army whenever I need it. Generally, every city you found must build like this: Monument (Only on capital)> Granary> Library> Worker> Settler. It can however be adjusted to accommodate your playing style. After building enough Settlers, start by making every single science building and If your city is weak in hammers, workshop is always there for you.

5. After you research Satellites, your biggest choice is there. You can either head to build Spaceship Parts, or wipe out all the enemies since you are so advanced in Technology. The thing is, you cannot change it (at least I can't). The huge costs of the Science research makes for a choice that is with you for the rest of your game. If you are aiming for the Science Victory, head off to the spaceship parts. If you are heading for a domination victory, get the XCOM Squad and Stealth and you are going to rock. Either way, second think about your thought.

6. You don't have to worry about your army, mainly because you are going to be so ahead in Technology, that you are going to be able to complete Manhattan Project by 1780. However, I always have my second city be army only and build a lot of army units there. Also, If you happen to get attacked, you are going to be in Modern Era and in that case, your city is going to fire missiles as defense, pwning every singe war tile an enemy can have.

7. The diplomacy is an important part of this guide. You are going to need to be friendly with all Civs, and RA spam them. Also, what's most helpful is that if you gain spies, you can rig elections on the City-States and have extra luxury resources and thus, gain more happiness. Also, City-States that are allies, make for an extremely good army to take down the ones that have declared war on you. I played this in a map with 12 players on Immortal, and had zero problems with the other Civs, mainly because I just give 'em stuff for cheap, declare our friendships, and doing whatever they tell me to do.

This is my first guide on your site, and though I may be a new user, I do play Civ since the very first one back in '92. I really hope you enjoyed this, I am going to update it for Byzantines and Religion play, but until then, any advice or improvement is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have deleted the wonder parts and now you aren't required to have any wonders. I have also made some corrections on diplomacy. I got them with lines for 2 days and they will be properly deleted so you can see why I did take such an action. Also, besides for criticizing, I would like you to appreciate the time I went through this. Most of you "Veterans" just say Wonders aren't exactly a great action. I can agree with that and as you can see I have deleted it. Stop the hate.

I'll try it out. And I love wonders and I love taking risks and pull it off. With right soil wonders is possible even on Diety but I prefer doing stuff like this on immortal. It's a gamble, but it's fun and I play games for fun.

Top Bottom