1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by hobbsyoyo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I thought Beyond was pretty good.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

???

Who said this? Who's judging you? Wut. All I said was that this is where I differ from those who reject the new canon, since it's true that many who do that also reject Enterprise. If anything, I'm more likely to start a fight over TOS and TAS than Enterprise. :lol:

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Both you and hobbsyoyo said things I've read a couple of dozen times AT LEAST over the years, often in the same thread. Please understand that I've been part of online arguments like these since 2007, over at TrekBBS and things really got bad in 2009 when I dared to say I hate the nuTrek movies.

What set me off in my previous post was more what hobbsyoyo said than what you said:
    I first saw the "nu" prefix in the context of various soap magazines and on the TWoP forum (Television Without Pity). It's a way of differentiating between the old version of something or someone and the new version. As in "I don't like nuNikolas (Cassadine, on General Hospital); I preferred the old one." Translation: I don't like the new actor who plays Nikolas; the old one was better.

This was transferred from characters to series. There are various labels for the movie series that started in 2009. "Abramstrek", "Abramsverse", "JJTrek", "JJverse"... it's cumbersome to type out, and not completely apt as he wasn't involved in all of them. Therefore, "nuTrek" works as a label. I use that prefix to make it clear which version of the characters I'm talking about, and it's also handy when discussing Doctor Who - since the nuWho fans insist on numbering the seasons from scratch, beginning in 2005, preferring to forget about the Classic Who series (1963-1996).

BTW... I finally saw TATV, and agree. It was a reprehensible slap in the face to the actors and fans of Enterprise. TNG had its 7 years. They didn't need Jonathan Frakes barging in, or Marina Sirtis. They're two of the reasons I gave up on Picard.

"Endgame" was also a slap in the face to Voyager, btw. That was not a proper ending to the series, and thank goodness for the fanfic writers who stepped up to do it right (albeit in a dozen different directions, depending on how they interpreted Starfleet's reaction to some of the things Janeway, et. al did in the Delta Quadrant).

Synsensa likes this.
  4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

What did you like about it?
    Personally, I found the movie to be a bit of a mess. I never really got what was going on with the insect/swarm space ships that Kirk destroyed by playing Sabotage (now there's a timely cultural reference!) except it had something to do with the crew of the Franklin, which were somehow turned evil and into aliens?
    And in technical nitpicking, the Franklin was somehow able to be restarted inside a planetary atmosphere by dropping it off a cliff and somehow kickstarting the impulse drive because of turbines/airscoops located in the warp nacelles?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It's been so long since I watched it that I honestly don't remember. I do vaguely remember in the beginning the crew tried to make a go of diplomacy rather than going in guns blazing but the details escape me.

Ajidica likes this.
  6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Just because I reference the phrase nuTrek in a negative light does not mean I'm referring to you. You frequently post about how miserable TrekBBS is and how toxic that side of the fandom is and I was backing you up by agreeing that aspects of the fandom are ugly and dumb. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the term nuTrek in big part because I see it used by those same jerks in a derisive, gatekeeping way but if you don't use it like that then it doesn't apply to you. Not every negative post that may tangentially relate to something you say is a direct attack on you, we are basically in agreement about toxic jerks.

7. Imaus

Imaus King

I'm on TrekBBS, it's sort of fun, but some people there...could really use a stick remover. Like essays about talking about canon years or errors in dialogue and they refuse to adapt....

I wouldn't have as much as a problem with the Movies or DSC if the ships were different. Hell, Abram's Kelvin-Era ships are *fine*, save any bridge window. But then the damn Enterprise itself is some weird Iphone level thing. If the Ent looked as grounded as the Kelvin, that's most of my *****ing gone. It would had turned out like DSC Ent, which is mostly agreeable save for the bridge window and the weird strut holes.

DSC ships...yea I dunno about those. Not a fan of blocky nacelles overall.

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Then you should make that clear. I'm not a mind reader, and the fact is that I was among the first, if not the first on that forum to use the "nu" term. Others have picked it up. As mentioned, I learned it elsewhere, well before the 2009 movie came out.

I'm glad we agree, but again - unless you're clear that you don't mean me, it sounds as though you do.

Yes, there are a lot of toxic people there, and that includes many of the staff and the most visible of the admins. She's an absolute horror, who frequently bullies people right after making a pious speech that she hates bullying. I remember talking to one of the tech admins about increasing the number of characters/post after I ended up having to do a 2-3-post series regarding Dune (people asked me questions since I was the only one in the conversation with access to a copy of the Dune Encyclopedia, and it was easier to quote that than summarize). The tech admin would have been happy to do this as he considered it entirely reasonable, but she promptly stomped into the thread, ranted that my posts were too long, nobody would read them, and said no. And she wonders why I loathe her. It seems to have escaped her that people there do in fact read my very long Dune posts and I usually get a boatload of "likes" for them.

There are good people there, though, which is why I stay. In fact, it's my turn to host the Star Trek Hangman game in the Admirals' Lounge, and I need to decide on a puzzle. Anything from the series and movies is fair game.

9. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

The best part of that movie was the interactions between the characters after they crash on the planet. Particularly McCoy/Spock and Scottie/Jayla. The Jayla character was all around great actually.

I'll agree that the plot and the bad guys were exceedingly dumb. The deal with Sabotage destroying the swarm was that radio waves sent out at a certain frequency disrupted the communication between each individual ship which seems like a really fatal flaw since radio waves occur naturally in space. The 'super weapon' which was basically a black cloud that disintegrated stuff seemed incredibly unpractical in a universe where photon torpedoes are more than adequate to cause mass destruction. And Uhuru somehow identifies that the main bad guy is the captain of the Franklin from some grainy footage on a small screen where all she sees is the back of his head while he was still a human. It's definitely the least enjoyable of the nuTrek movies for me because of how dumb it is.

10. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I have just finished Deep Space Nine and Started Voyager. I hate Bajoran prophets, what the mystical mess.

The Great Material Continuum makes much more sense, I still have no idea why nobody proposed exchange - the cure of disease for the capitulation.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

DS9 has the best villains. Kai Winn for-the-win, pun intended. Dukat is also superb, as is Weyoun, as is the female Founder. Brunt and Intendant Nerys are also excellent. The Jem Hardar are kinda lame Klingon knockoffs, but as a whole the series features fantastic villains.

12. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I have to say that so far I am disappointed with Voyager. I like Tuvok for his Vulkan qualities, but the DS9 was better by any means.

Synsensa likes this.
  13. Sarin

Sarin Prince

Remember the curse of early seasons. IIRC Voyager gets better around Scorpion, but I don't think it ever measures up to DS9.

REDY likes this.
  14. Ajidica

With DS9, I found its early seasons the most interesting, as they were genuinely trying to do something different with the intense focus on Bajor and rebuilding a post-conflict state. A lot of the episodes weren't particularly very good, but I respect them for trying. Eventually they ignored Bajor and decided to go for underwhelming grand politics before veering into mystical mumbo-jumbo.
    Despite the praise DS9 gets for being a serialized show, I find several of its best episodes are its non-serialized ones. For example, I just watched the episode where Odo falls in love with someone who turns out to be a spy, or the episode where Quark gets involved in arms dealing. No great threats from suddenly appearing Klingon/Dominion/Magic Weapon fleets; just good character studies of characters we have come to know and care about (insofar as one can care about a TV character).

Anyone still watching Lower Decks?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Yeah. With the latest episode, I'm surprised that they upped the stakes for the bridge crew. Seemed a bit outside their depth.

16. Ajidica

I liked the last episode. Packed with great Star Trek references and a fun parody of the Rashomon episodes all Star Trek does.

17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

????

18. Ajidica

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashomon
    The episode where a character is accused of something, so we have a courtroom episode where a variety of different characters relay how they understood the event.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

It's by no means perfect, but not too bad either.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  20. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I'm glad I stuck with that 12-minute starship-size comparison video all the way to the end, because I'd completely forgotten that there's a Dyson Sphere in Star Trek lore. It was the episode of TNG where they met Mr. Scott [edit: that's episode 604, "Relics"]. That's one of those dangling plot threads that, to my knowledge, was never explored further in any of the shows. I'd be surprised if there isn't a novel somewhere about the Starfleet science missions to explore the sphere. You could do a whole series on it, really. I don't remember if that episode included any clues as to who'd built the thing, or why.

hobbsyoyo likes this.