1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by hobbsyoyo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I did not like it. The fight scene had particularly bad shakycam, Burnham seemed to start working with space-Dr Doolittle because she had the hots for him, and I'm really disliking the personal transporters. (Was this the first time someone transported into water?
    Really hope the crew of the Discovery show up soon, as I like them more than Burnham. Without pre-Mirror Lorca or Pike, Saru will have to carry the entire show. In S2 I got fed up with the Stemets/Culper relationship drama (which as an ass-pull to cover for a stupid S1 idea), and despite me liking Tyler in S1 (at least, the non-Voq stuff) they made him boring and gloomy in S2. (Seriously, every scene he was in he looked either bored or constipated.)
    Unfortunately, the pacing of the first episode suggests to me they did not learn the lesson from S2, where the best episode (Terralysium) had a more relaxed exposition and development. Then again, Star Trek has always had a problem with pilots, Disco in particular, so I'll withhold judgement as the last episodes of S2 seemed to be more consistent.

It's wack that the best Star Trek show on right now is the one I was least looking forward too. (Lower Decks.)
    Like this brilliant scene poking fun at The Motionless Picture.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It's my favorite Star Trek movie and I agree that First Contact's Cochrane is a great counterbalance to Picard.

Has anyone seen The Orville? It's an awesome Star Trek show that's not actually Star Trek. The first season was hit or miss but the second is great. Unfortunately it's in limbo as MacFarlane doesn't want to star in it again and has been trying to get the network OK with killing off his character. The show was moved from Fox to Hulu for S3, but then they didn't start filming S3 and it's been rumored cancelled/uncancelled for a while now. Of course Covid isn't helping with any of that.

I'm watching through DS9 and just got to S3 when the Defiant and Jim Hedar show up which is good because I didn't really care for the show that much before then. I also can't help but think of Bashir being 'adorkable' now, thanks @Ajidica.

EgonSpengler and Laurana Kanan like this.
  3. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I read a couple weeks back that it was definitely cancelled, but maybe there's a revival chance.
    ^This! :yup:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

This new Uber Eats commercials series with Patrick Stewart and Mark Hamil is effing hilarious :lol:

5. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I guess I don't get it. I thought is was kind of stupid.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Synsensa likes this.
  7. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

No.

Also wrong. This person never watched the finale.

8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I scratched my head at that too but it's been so long since I saw it that I figured I was mis-remembering!

Synsensa likes this.
  9. Samson

Samson Deity

I enjoyed it, but it is not very star trek.
    Spoiler rant :
    So she comes to the future, to get some data out of the "present". Then she gets there, and sends the suit with the data back into the wormhole, for reasons?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. Synsensa

I started my rewatch of Star Trek: Discovery yesterday. I really did forget just how pants-on-backwards stupid the premise of the plot-driving event is.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Spoiler for Samson's rant :
    She sends the suit back to send the final signal to indicate that they got through successfully.

Yeah, the inciting mutiny is pretty daft, and I have a healthy tolerance level for daftness when watching Star Trek.

hobbsyoyo, Samson and Synsensa like this.
  12. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I actually wasn't bothered by the mutiny aspect. One thing a lot of writers tend to forget about the Vulcans is that they are not emotionless, they just filter their emotions through logic and strive to not be driven by them. That is all the more so for Burnham, who, having filtered her own emotions through Vulcan logic, might convince herself that her emotional response is actually the only logical response.

Though, this is coming from someone who sort of liked the Vulcan depiction in Enterprise. The Vulcans only became peaceful logic-thinkers when wrapped in the protective embrace of the Federation. Without the Federation, the Vulcans had to deal with Klingons, Andorians, Tellarites, Orions, and all other nasty aliens all by themselves. That must have warped their logic to encourage a suspicious and insular viewpoint.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. Synsensa

Vulcans being aggro isn't really what bugged me about it. The logic somewhat makes sense. The thing that stood out to me as a little bonkers was how quickly Michael went from being a trusted second-in-command who was going to get her own ship to just immediately jumping over the captain's head and staging an impromptu mutiny just so she can shoot at the klingons. There needed to be things in between the scene with Sarek and the scene with Michael's betrayal of the captain. The emotional plea that she was "trying to save them" just doesn't land. All we have is Michael being spooked, Sarek saying aggression is the key to future peace, and then Michael throwing literally everything away on the spot. I mean, even if she got what she wanted, she shoots at the klingons, what exactly is her mutiny going to do? She'll be arrested, the Federation will bend over backwards to placate the enemy, and her doing all this results in probably something worse than the original plan.

And hey, maybe that's just who Michael is. A loose cannon with the critical thinking skills of a fruit tree going through rot. Doesn't make sense, especially with the scene of her undergoing Vulcan logic training as a wee lass, but let's go with it. Is that really the story we want to be told? I don't tend to watch serious shows with an MC who is outright dumb but we're told is a bonafide genius with virtues out the wazoo. The actions have to match the background, even with an unreliable narrator (which Discovery doesn't have, so it's moot).

The preceding event, too, kind of stuck out to me. There really was no reason for Michael to be in a spacesuit and just go gallivanting by herself in the debris field. The murder of the klingon was a little contrived, but okay. But still, they send one person? She just keeps going when they fall out of contact? The suit conveniently corrupts all data and there's no backup? The writers artificially created the circumstances for the conflict. There's no sense of organic progression or reason to it. They molded the environment to force a very specific event, and it's just silly.

hobbsyoyo and Samson like this.
  14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

And of course there's the issue that they created a major new conflict that's never been mentioned before in later series, in which the in turn the entire Federation fleet was wiped out, then magically rebuilt and wipes out the Klingon fleet. It's all over the place.

Synsensa likes this.
  15. Synsensa

I am now past the Mirror Universe arc, with the emperor installed as Discovery's captain. I dislike the first season thus far less than I did the first go around, but what's standing out to me this time is that my dislike is largely tied to how they flirt with story development but then drop things from one episode to the next. Major elements become only tangential on a whim. Because of this, it seems difficult to see the storyline as coherent.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yup
    And somehow I still like it.

17. Synsensa

Watching the scene of when they beam into a black market. They make a point of showing a klingon peeing in the street to tell us that klingons have two pee-pees apparently. Sigh.

Ajidica and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That was rather unnecessary, but TNG established the idea of brak'lul, the Klingon physiological redundancy which ensures that they have multiple copies of various organs.

19. Synsensa

I'm now in new territory. It turns out I bailed on season 2 on episode 5, so the episode with freeing the kelpiens from ba'ul rule was the first new episode on the docket.

Actually pretty good. The aesthetic of the ba'ul was interesting, though it was amusing that they were slightly more humanoid sheliak.

I find the Spock storyline less grating this time around... so far.

20. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I find that whole Jem'Hadar/Founders/Dominion stuff boring as hell. Which means I found about half the series boring as hell, other than the bits of those episodes that were actually about my favorite characters.

The Dominion War even carries over to Voyager. Imagine you've been gone seven years, traveled 70,000 light-years, lost a significant number of crew to various aliens, diseases, accidents, malfunctions, etc., you literally save the Federation from the Borg, and when you get back, you're told that none of it matters because "we had a war and YOU WEREN'T HERE, so YOUR problems don't matter!". And then Janeway gets shoved into an Admiral's office, Seven and Icheb are treated like salvage, and we don't get to know what happened to anyone else (not that I'd want to know, if it's more like the post-Voyager movies and TV shows).

I've got my favorite DS9 characters, and none of them are Sisko, Kira, Odo, or Dax. I love the friendships between Bashir and O'Brien, and Bashir and Garak. Bashir is one of the characters who grows and matures throughout the series.

I'd get flamed and crucified in a dozen different ways for saying this on TrekBBS, but Burnham is somebody's Mary Sue. There is no way she is not a wish-fulfillment character for someone on the production staff.

Thank goodness for my very large bookshelf full of TOS fanfic, some of which explores the years of Spock's early Starfleet career, and his pre-Starfleet life. Yes, there are stories in which he has a human foster sister. But these are meant to be thoughtful stories exploring the dynamics of Vulcan/Human hybrid interactions and blended family lives, not mindless nonsense inbetween CGI space battles.

Pretty good for 50 years ago. As for modern stuff, there's still decent TOS fanfic around, and I still recommend the fan films.

The Mirror universe part of that show is the only part that made even a slight bit of sense to me. I gave up after that.