All Things Star Trek

It's Michelle Yeoh, Warpus. She'd be a failure as an actor (which she certainly is not) if we didn't have some (even grudging) positive emotions for her character.

I just recently realized how simple the stereotypes map between Star Trek and normal high fantasy.

Vulcans = Elfs
Romulans = Dark Elfes
Klingons = Dwarfes
Borg = Undead
Ferengi = Gnomes

Not sure what to do with Halflings and Orcs. The Kazon might be Orcs?
Yeah, not perfect, but hey, I'm not doing science here.

EDIT:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/are-klingons-space-orcs.72894/ hey, from the first google page :D.

The Guardian's planet was never named. We don't even know in which quadrant it was.
:dubious:

Whut?

They're using the Guardian of Forever? I hope Harlan Ellison's estate charged them $$$$$$.

As for which quadrant... this is another way in which TOS doesn't mesh with the other series. Roddenberry's writers tended to use the names of well-known bright stars, because they assumed that at least some of the viewing audience would have heard of them. They actually did use a research company to vet the scripts, but of course were not obliged to follow their recommendations if it turned out that the scriptwriter had made a major scientific error.

So now that we have modern knowledge of a lot of these stars, it renders some of the TOS episodes scientifically laughable from an astronomy pov. There is no way that there could be indigenous intelligent life on any planet around Vega, for instance, since Vega doesn't even have stable planets yet (RL; since Vega is only 26 light-years away, for all intents and purposes, studying that star is almost like doing real-time observations - we're seeing it as it was 26 years ago, which is a tiny drop in the bucket of stellar lifetimes, even those as short as supergiant stars).

According to Memory Alpha, the Guardian of Forever was located either in the Alpha or Beta Quadrant.

Memory Alpha is a terrific resource site, btw. It's basically the Wikipedia of Star Trek.

EDIT: I meant to say also that using real stars meant a mishmash of using ones that were close to Earth (the aforementioned Vega) or far away - certainly too far for the Enterprise to just sashay over there in a few hours or even days. If memory serves, there was an essay in one of the Best of Trek collections about that - pointing out that the Enterprise couldn't possibly have visited all those solar systems in the same universe (yet another reason for the author's contention that some of the TOS episodes took place in alternate universes).

TNG solved this problem by using made-up names for planetary systems. Of course they didn't bother checking previous scripts to see what had already been used, so we got the ridiculous situation of the Telurians, the Telarians, and the Telorians, who were definitely not the same people, and the episodes had nothing to do with each other.

Last edited:
Say, the woman who plays Osyra is Janet Kidder, Margot's niece.

(Pics, not spoilers)
Spoiler :

Say, the woman who plays Osyra is Janet Kidder, Margot's niece.

(Pics, not spoilers)
Wow, the resemblance is uncanny. It's like seeing a younger Margot!

Interesting new episode, I will probably have to rewatch it, as I was a bit distracted with xmas snacks and other things.

Spoiler :
Looks like the burn has nothing to do with the Burnhams (yet, and good). But instead it was a mutant child having a panic attack. Not sure how to feel about that, but I liked a bunch of things in the episode. Let's see what happens in part 2 next week.

I was a bit underwhelmed with the episode, to be honest. I certainly wasn't impressed with what supposedly caused the Burn.

I haven't spoiled anything in that post?

Sign posted on The Artifact in episode 2 of Picard: "This facility has gone [N] days without an assimilation." :lol:

Spoiler for the latest discovery episode :

I hope they'll add some more reason to the mutant child thingy, because right now it doesn't make any sense.

I'm a bit disappointed about... the non-usage of the spore drive.
The Discovery can go from anywhere to anywhere in the universe. Yet, it sits right outside the Nebula, for Ozyra to arrive.
Any reason why it doesn't jump to... anywhere else, letting Ozyra wonder what's going on, and then jumps back at the right time into the nebula, and back? She didn't know that any of the people were in the nebula (asking if the captain is in there), so they wouldn't have gone into the nebula.

They probably could also have jumped back to starfleet HQ to repair the shields faster, no?

And why didn't they take more radiation medicine in the nebula? Since we see that Adira goes back simply with more medicine, they could have just taken more from the beginning, right?

Spoiler another episode :

Actually, not too much to complain, besides that I really don't believe that Osyrra is supposedly saying the truth.

While I like what they're doing CGI-wise with Booker's ship, such a hypothetical setup strikes me as either unpractical or impossible.

Not sure how I feel about the sphere data, but I think I'm still more leaning to "stupid".

Spoiler Latest Episode :
I agree it is a waste of a 2 parter, just as a way to get rid of Georgio. You say "new series", you think they will spin out a MU series.

Spoiler :
I've read a bit into what other fans think they are planning and I believe it's more or less a done deal. I won't spoil what I've read though
Spoiler :

I checked wiki today for other reasons, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery#Spin-offs
By November 2018, Michelle Yeoh was in talks with CBS to star in a spin-off series as her character Philippa Georgiou, with the series expected to follow her adventures as a member of the secretive organization Section 31.[194] Discovery writers Bo Yeon Kim and Erika Lippoldt were set as writers and showrunners of the new series in January 2019.[195] Kurtzman said filming on the spin-off would begin once filming on the third season of Discovery was completed,[196] but production on the spin-off was delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic.[197][198] Georgiou is written out of Discovery in the third season to set-up the spin-off.[199]

Nobody looking at the moment?

Spoiler final episode :

At least nothing major to criticize this time.
They didn't add more to the kid, which is disappointing. They used the wrong biological term (polyploid; should have been chromothripsis, but I guess I'm the only one who'd notice ^^), but anyways, not that it makes the whole thing more or less logical.

The only part where I really wonder: When Michael and Book where escaping, they were... outside of the discovery, right? I though what we'd see would be either the Emerald Chain star base, or the inside of the Viridian, but they were still on warp and the ship got taken into the Viridian only later. So, what were we seeing there?

Overall pretty unsatisfied :/. One of the German tech sites has called S3 bad TV, and I can only agree.

My niggles with the episode:

Spoiler :
As far as I can tell, the turbolift chase was inside the Discovery itself. It was a pretty confusing sequence, action aside.

I was also confused about how the Viridian was so close by to absorb the Discovery so quickly. Our ship was knocked out of warp unexpectedly, yet the Viridian was able to drop out of warp and return so quickly?

Wow, the resemblance is uncanny. It's like seeing a younger Margot!

Indeed. In fact I would have believed it if told she was Margot's daughter.

Spoiler :
Apparently if you dig into the old eh I don't even know what it's called.. TNG or TOS technical specs for the Enterprise, there is a paragraph in there about how a lot of the ship is "empty space" and is filled in as parameters of the mission change. So, rooms and storage space is created and added, etc. during refits and starbase stopovers or whatever, although this is never anything we've seen before, and it also doesn't make sense wrt that episode where Picard sings that Frere Jacques song with those kids. But this is in there and apparently Federation starships being full of empty space is not that weird.

ALTHOUGH it did look like a rather crazy giant space they were in. I also thought they were outside of Discovery and did not clue in until later. That's bad storytelling - a lot of people were confused about this. Even if this is technically canon (I have no idea, but it might be), we've never seen anything like this on screen before, so yeah, a lot of people are confused as a result.

There's a bunch of discussions on the various startrek subreddits about how big Discovery is (it's big) and if the visuals made sense, and there doesn't seem to be any consensus. I wish the creatives in charge of the show would explain wtf they were thinking and how the visuals make sense

Very disappointing end after a promising start. I think this is a failed experiment. Just let it die.

I think they've been using the first 3 seasons to finally set up the show
Spoiler :
with Michael as captain exploring strange new worlds in a strange new future

Which IMO is far too long to put all the pieces in place to tell the story you've been meaning to tell the whole time.. but I am eager to see what they do with season 4. Hopefully the show finally finds its feet like it feels like it might have. Honestly, it felt like s3 was that season where this happens, when the first couple eps came out.. but a lot has changed since then.

Too much just changes on this show, there isn't enough consistency. Maybe now we'll see it, but.. we'll see?

Top Bottom