All Things Star Trek

My prediction is that someone has to get fired other this, although I'm sure that we'll never hear about that.
Sorry, we misheard. We just gave them a promotion.

Guess I'll watch the season premiere tomorrow. I... do not have high hopes.

Prodigy has kind of dropped off but it's still alright.

I do wonder why you keep subjecting yourself to stuff you know you're not going to like.

Reactions: HEF
I do wonder why you keep subjecting yourself to stuff you know you're not going to like.
Because I want to like Star Trek, and essentially every future Star Trek production will feed off of what Discovery does or doesn't do.

Okay, fair enough.

Discovery S4 E1. I kind of enjoyed it, though again not very star trek
Spoiler :
At the beginning I thought they were going full on back to utopia, but then at the end very much not so. I am interested to see where they take it.

You were using a VPN, I take it?

Most people are aware that Spock is logical, but Discovery kind of assumes you know the relationship between Spock and his parents that was introduced in TOS and Search for Spock. You are not going to miss much without it though. Not like watching Wandavision before the avengers movies ;)
DiscoTrek makes a mockery of Spock's familial relationships, given that Disco-Sarek is downright chummy with an adopted daughter who joins Starfleet - a military organization in which she would be reasonably expected to use violence or even kill people, while ostracizing his own son for the same reason.

Oh, and Sarek having a human ward? Been there, done that, decades ago. There are fanfiction stories from the early '70s that use that theme.

People are all hype over Pike but I never cared for him. Myabe he was the best thing in Dis, but I'm not suffering DIS for one diamond in the rough. I'll check out SNW maybe, but I'm fully prepared to be disappointed.
There's actually a really good novel about Pike called Burning Dreams, in which we're introduced to Pike as a child and follow his life from adolescence to Starfleet Academy, and his subsequent career and how the Talosians affected him. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in this character.

Apparently you can now watch Discovery in Germany on a service from Paramount, PlutoTV, for free, but not on-Demand, rather only on Fridays at 9PM.

Not even the slightest interested. On-demand video is a great improvement for series with a continuous story, since you're not anymore a slave to the TV schedule and you can still enjoy the whole thing. Tonight at 9 I'll be coming back from the gym, next Friday at 9 I'll be having dinner with my GF. TV is not gonna change that anymore.

Apparently you can now watch Discovery in Germany on a service from Paramount, PlutoTV, for free, but not on-Demand, rather only on Fridays at 9PM.

Not even the slightest interested. On-demand video is a great improvement for series with a continuous story, since you're not anymore a slave to the TV schedule and you can still enjoy the whole thing. Tonight at 9 I'll be coming back from the gym, next Friday at 9 I'll be having dinner with my GF. TV is not gonna change that anymore.
Absolutely. I have given up bothing to get setup to receive content over the air, and the only thing I kind of miss is live sport. And 9pm Fridays!!! I could make it these days, but before the plague I would never be in then.

Episode 2 was better, I guess. Every interaction and plot point feels stilted and incredibly inorganic. So much seems designed solely for rule of cool and to make sure the CGI budget gets used up, with no regard for whether or not it actually makes sense or has a place in the narrative.

I watched the first two episodes of Discovery s4 last night on Pluto TV, which, as it turns out, is commercial live TV, just over the Internet. Just gotta love the adverts, the zero pause/rewind function and of course the "be there or you miss it" schedule. Everything I never liked about old TV alive and well in the modern era. At least it's free, so you get what you pay for (in this case, absolutely no frills at all), but I can't say I'm eager to repeat the process.

I watched the first two episodes of Discovery s4 last night on Pluto TV, which, as it turns out, is commercial live TV, just over the Internet. Just gotta love the adverts, the zero pause/rewind function and of course the "be there or you miss it" schedule. Everything I never liked about old TV alive and well in the modern era. At least it's free, so you get what you pay for (in this case, absolutely no frills at all), but I can't say I'm eager to repeat the process.
It has to be possible to record it, and at least in the UK time-shifting is explicitly defined as an exception to copyright law.

[EDIT] I have just tested it, it is trivially easy to capture with the instructions here.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thank you.

I fell behind by a couple episodes for Discovery and tried to catch up yesterday. Really not feeling it.

I think, despite what I said to Arakhor earlier, that I'm done with this show. It's becoming more and more difficult to suffer through it. The last season had a strong beginning but fell off the rails, so I was kind of hoping for the same trajectory here, but it's just been... bad. It's very much a modern show, but I can't forgive how all the characters are so unfailingly... childish. There exists not a single adult in this show. The plot points are incoherent. There's very little to stick around for besides visuals, but embarrassingly enough, many of the scenes exist only to make those visuals. It just isn't good.

In the meantime, Prodigy was pretty decent before its midseason break. It is definitely a children's show, so temper your expectations accordingly, but it's good fun.

I can't forgive how all the characters are so unfailingly... childish.
You have just described every single episode of DiscoTrek, and most of post-Tenant Doctor Who.

I've finished yesterday Star Trek: Enterprise. It's been a long while that I've seen the other Treks (besides Discovery), so not sure how my comparison there really holds up. Maybe I should have watched one of them again, but I've seen parts of all of them on TV, and I've not seen most of Enterprise, so this made more sense.
The first 2 seasons were indeed sometimes a bit lame. Some episodes were really boring. The whole Xindi season was a lot better. I'm not sure if this necessarily has something to do with the overarching story, although from my opinion yes. Although the earlier Treks didn't really have one either, so... not sure :think:. Season 4 was also pretty good, and I think that having many 2-episode stories also helped there, since this allowed to go a bit more in-depth. I didn't care for the mirror-universe episodes, also because a) I simply don't like it b) it didn't advance the story at all. Pretty pointless. The Terra Prime episodes were also meh, and the series final was crap, boooh. I do understand that the final wasn't really planned like this, since the cancellation came as a surprise, but, I still think they could have managed something better.
Overall judgement: It's not bad. Later parts surprisingly good. Worth enough to watch.

I didn't mind the Mirror-universe episodes. I actually didn't mind the Mirror-universe DiscoTrek episodes, either.

How bad does a show have to be when I prefer the evil versions of the 'good' characters? :think:

Top Bottom