All Things Star Trek

"The video you have requested is not available for your geographic region."

Canadians aren't allowed to see this series.

I have now done right by my northern neighbors and replaced the link. Looks like it'll be on Space Channel in Canada.

Edit: Taken down :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you.

It looks like a revolting combination of nuTrek and Enterprise. And if this is "10 years before Kirk" does that mean 10 years before Kirk was born? 10 years before he was Captain?

The Space Channel is part of a bundle I don't subscribe to (if Bravo and Space were part of the same bundle I'd switch from only getting Bravo to getting the whole bundle, but they're not). Space isn't available as a single channel, so I'd be stuck with 4-5 channels I'd never watch.

It might show up on Netflix some day, though. I might catch it then.

German one doesn't seem to be blocked. I don't understand German, but everyone is still speaking in English with German subtitles so it is fine.

The aesthetic is one of the worst things I've ever seen out of Star Trek, agreed. Hopefully the actual content of the show will be far superior to the visuals. I mean its a teaser trailer, so we have no idea what the plot will be like other than it will involve racist Vulcans and angry Klingons. Hopefully it will be a return to form (minus the aesthetics).

Enterprise already did racist Vulcans. Even TOS did racist Vulcans (in the Animated series episode "Yesteryear" and in the live episode "Journey to Babel"). For that matter, fans have been arguing for decades whether or not T'Pau was being racist in "Amok Time" when she asked Spock, "Are our ceremonies for outworlders?". T'Pring didn't like Spock much, although admittedly it's more in the novels and fanfic that the reason was because of his human ancestry and not merely that she "did not want to be the consort of a legend." And there's that abominable scene in Star Trek V when Spock was born in a cave, Sarek took one look at him, and said dismissively, "So human." Finally, let's not forget Valeris in Star Trek VI (though I really wish I could; somebody should have told Kim Cattrall that she can't act worth a damn).

I don't remember, but wouldn't be surprised if there may have been a racist Vulcan in one of the TNG episodes.

Enterprise already did racist Vulcans. Even TOS did racist Vulcans (in the Animated series episode "Yesteryear" and in the live episode "Journey to Babel"). For that matter, fans have been arguing for decades whether or not T'Pau was being racist in "Amok Time" when she asked Spock, "Are our ceremonies for outworlders?". T'Pring didn't like Spock much, although admittedly it's more in the novels and fanfic that the reason was because of his human ancestry and not merely that she "did not want to be the consort of a legend." And there's that abominable scene in Star Trek V when Spock was born in a cave, Sarek took one look at him, and said dismissively, "So human." Finally, let's not forget Valeris in Star Trek VI (though I really wish I could; somebody should have told Kim Cattrall that she can't act worth a damn).

I don't remember, but wouldn't be surprised if there may have been a racist Vulcan in one of the TNG episodes.

I'm fine with racist Vulcans, even DS9 had racist Vulcans. Just saying that was one of the few things of substance I got out of that trailer. XD

CBS tracked it down and blocked it :(

Classic CBS. We just want to watch the bloody trailer, what's so wrong about that?

I'm fine with racist Vulcans, even DS9 had racist Vulcans. Just saying that was one of the few things of substance I got out of that trailer. XD
Everyone in DS9 was racist, that's like half the point of DS9... Heck DS9 even went there with non-fantasy, garden variety present-day racism via Sisko.
Classic CBS. We just want to watch the bloody trailer, what's so wrong about that?
To quote John Amos in Coming to America... "This is Murica Jack!"

Also, I liked Valeris in Trek VI... frankly I thought VI was a tour de force and I can't think of anyone I didn't like in that film. Even Shatner managed not to overact, in multiple scenes, which is a marvel in and of itself.

This trailer has some good parts, but nothing has assuaged my concerns, that the series is a prequel rather than a sequel, and that Bryan Fuller is no longer directly involved. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I won't lose any sleep if I'm unable to watch this when it premiers.

I'm waiting for Blu-ray, myself. No way am I paying a monthly fee just to watch fifteen episodes.

Okay, let's see:

- This series is supposed to be set in the original timeline for some reason, but looks like it's in the new one. Okay so why.. what.. what morons are making these decisions? Either have one friggin timeline or if you really have to have 2 timelines for art direction purposes, then do that. Makes 0 sense to have 2 timelines that look exactly the same in terms of art direction.

- What's up with the Klingons? Each time we get a new Trek these guys look different. Just pick a look for this species and stick to it, sheesh

- The aliens look "cool" but I'm not impressed with the crew so far at all. Plus the one alien that "senses death" or whatever had really bad lines and is a ripoff from B5 anyway

- The art direction here doesn't really fit in between Enterprise and TOS at all. The technology looks way too advanced for it to have happened before TOS.

- This is going to be.. streamed on some stupid service, that I won't have access to? Awesome

Can't wait for this series to crash and burn and get cancelled and for the TV execs to then say "See? Nobody wants to watch Star Trek these days". I mean, I don't want it to crash and burn but they're setting it up for that. I get that the first 2 seasons of any Trek series always sucks or whatever, so I'd give this show a chance IF IT WAS ON TV, but.. yeah.. what

It's a Serialized Story! That way they cut out all the bad episodes first*! We've moved on to Real Television, you see.

*You know, those filler episodes that don't do anything except present unique situations and develop characters .

Okay, let's see:

- This series is supposed to be set in the original timeline for some reason, but looks like it's in the new one. Okay so why.. what.. what morons are making these decisions? Either have one friggin timeline or if you really have to have 2 timelines for art direction purposes, then do that. Makes 0 sense to have 2 timelines that look exactly the same in terms of art direction.

- What's up with the Klingons? Each time we get a new Trek these guys look different. Just pick a look for this species and stick to it, sheesh

- The aliens look "cool" but I'm not impressed with the crew so far at all. Plus the one alien that "senses death" or whatever had really bad lines and is a ripoff from B5 anyway

- The art direction here doesn't really fit in between Enterprise and TOS at all. The technology looks way too advanced for it to have happened before TOS.

- This is going to be.. streamed on some stupid service, that I won't have access to? Awesome

Can't wait for this series to crash and burn and get cancelled and for the TV execs to then say "See? Nobody wants to watch Star Trek these days". I mean, I don't want it to crash and burn but they're setting it up for that. I get that the first 2 seasons of any Trek series always sucks or whatever, so I'd give this show a chance IF IT WAS ON TV, but.. yeah.. what
Apparently it's supposed to be shown on the Space Channel. Eventually.

It's a situation similar to The Handmaid's Tale - that series is based on a novel by a Canadian author, was filmed in Toronto, uses some Canadian actors and technicians - but it was originally only available on Hulu. I get the impression that the series also being shown on Bravo was an afterthought (guess I wasn't the only Canadian who complained loudly about this on social media). The American viewers got a 3-episode premiere. Canadians got 2 episodes. New episodes for the American viewers come out on Wednesdays. Canadian viewers get a week-and-a-half-old episode the following Sunday. This means I've had to find some "creative" ways to keep up, or else avoid the discussion threads on TrekBBS (even though I've read the novel and seen the movie - and a lot of dialogue in this series has been lifted word-for-word from the movie - there are still enough differences that it's maddening to find out the new stuff a week and a half before I can watch it on TV here).

So is Star Trek going to be in the same situation, where the episodes air here significantly later than they do for American viewers? Yeah, probably. I have no plans to subscribe to the Space Channel, since it's part of a bundle that my telecom assures me can't be broken up into single channels and I object to paying for channels I will never watch. For this series, it's either Netflix or nothing. And some series take years to come to Canadian Netflix.

The reason why this new series resembles Enterprise more than TOS is that far too many people nowadays think the TOS aesthetic was <that word that rhymes with "kitty">. For some reason it doesn't occur to them that there are still fans around who prefer the '60s look for the shows that are supposedly taking place in that part of the 23rd century.

This is why I loathe nuTrek (well, one of the reasons I loathe nuTrek; that Enterprise resembles a friggin' shopping mall and the engineering room was literally shot in a brewery). It's far too modern-looking for what it's pretending to emulate.

The Star Trek Continues and Phase II/New Voyages fan film series were far better at recreating the Original Series. Sadly, the greed of the Axanar company made it impossible for PII/NV to continue under CBS' new rules, and Star Trek Continues is risking being shut down because they're determined to finish their planned 13 episodes (there are 5 left to go, I think).

I thought Enterprise did a good job of presenting technology as it could have looked 100 years before TOS. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. This new series looks like it happens hundreds of years after TOS, not in between Enterprise and TOS.

It seems like when coming up with the art direction for this new series they just ignored that Enterprise and TOS even existed and came up with all new stuff.

Releasing it as a NETFLIX exclusive series would be far more effective... but whateves, its their money to waste...

and my beloved Trek to ruin :sad:

It is a Netflix Original if you don't live in Canada or the U.S.

warpus said:
It seems like when coming up with the art direction for this new series they just ignored that Enterprise and TOS even existed and came up with all new stuff.

It does seem like marketing is assuming their audience doesn't remember Trek before the new movies.

It is a Netflix Original if you don't live in Canada or the U.S.
Well that's just rude. :sad:
It does seem like marketing is assuming their audience doesn't remember Trek before the new movies.
While simultaneously assuming that their audience will be such die-hard Trek fans that they will sign up for CBSupthepooperstream service, just to get their Trek because they just can't bear to miss it.

What's wrong with this picture?:confused:

Top Bottom