All Things Star Trek

I just saw the first episode of series 2 of Discovery. The mustard, blue and cranberry tops were hustled on screen with no explanation other than they were an Enterprise thing only and then disappeared again. My first impression of the red angel thing is that it seems similar to the Vorlons/Shadows in Babylon 5. The medical bay apparently has a portable device that can reset even the worst fractures in a matter of hours.

chekov and Uhura arrive on board USS Ranger and claim it's the Enterprise and Chekov falls off something and Mc Coy would have fixed him in seconds but horrors , they cut people open in the 20th Century ; meaning they have long fixed stuff worse with a flashlight or something for a long time in Trek .

Welp...I just watched the finale of season 2 of Discovery. Other than the first episode the entire season was a train wreck. The writing was super over-the-top melodrama, the characters made decisions that were illogical and inconsistent, things happened without being fully explained. It's a shame since season 1 showed some promise but it went downhill quickly. I'm done with this show. :thumbsdown:

That was impossible from the get-go.

They do end up reconciling some of the big inconsistencies with rest of the timeline but it is done so ham-handedly that it is entirely unsatisfying.

I watched the Season 2 finale and give it a resounding "meh". I'm glad that they didn't [insert naughty words here] the continuity as much as I thought they were going to, but ultimately I wasn't really invested in anything.

I didn't bother watching any of it. It's possible my PVR still thinks it's supposed to record it, in which case I have the second season. If not, I might watch it during whatever holiday marathon decides to show it (usually Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's).

The only Trek-related stuff I've done lately (other than posting on TrekBBS) is read some fanfic and write some fanfic - part of a scene that's a crossover between Voyager and Bonanza.

I didn't bother watching any of it. It's possible my PVR still thinks it's supposed to record it, in which case I have the second season. If not, I might watch it during whatever holiday marathon decides to show it (usually Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's).

The only Trek-related stuff I've done lately (other than posting on TrekBBS) is read some fanfic and write some fanfic - part of a scene that's a crossover between Voyager and Bonanza.

Honestly don't rush watching it, considering your reactions to the first season of Discovery in this thread you would probably despise the latest season. 50/50 whether you would appreciate some elements, but 100% sure that you'd hate others.

I stopped watching the second season as I decided I'd wait until it was done before rushing through all the remaining episodes.

So I watched episode 7 last night, and boy did it suck!

Not looking forward to the rest. :(

I was kind of optimistic based on the first few episodes, but then Discovery did what Discovery do.

So apparently the new Picard show is going to be exclusively on Amazon Prime outside the US. Splitting Star Trek between platforms is a terrible idea that negatively impact the health of the series. CBS executives don't care, of course, they're laughing all the way to the bank with the giant check that Amazon probably just gave them.
Finally it's on something I already subscribe to. Sorry, but I don't have a lot of sympathy, given how much content is not available to Canadians, or at least not available without paying $$$ or waiting an insane amount of time between the initial broadcast there and here.

For instance, The Handmaid's Tale was shown a week and a half later here, after being shown on Hulu. That made it basically impossible to discuss the show with Americans, since by the time I saw a new episode, they were already on to the next one and tossing spoilers everywhere.

Okay, so I have two choices (Space is one of the channels I pay extra for, and right now it has all the ST series).

Someone on Twitter has posted a set photo from the upcoming Jean-Luc Picard show that features a bunch of extras in Starfleet uniforms. To my eye, the uniforms look essentially the same as in Deep Space 9 - mostly black, color on top, silver commbadge. Jean-Luc himself is wearing civilian clothes.

https://twitter.com/Scuttlecliff/status/1129027925997703168/photo/1

Someone on Twitter has posted a set photo from the upcoming Jean-Luc Picard show that features a bunch of extras in Starfleet uniforms. To my eye, the uniforms look essentially the same as in Deep Space 9 - mostly black, color on top, silver commbadge. Jean-Luc himself is wearing civilian clothes.

https://twitter.com/Scuttlecliff/status/1129027925997703168/photo/1

Well I'm glad that they didn't decide to introduce yet another completely new set of uniforms. The fact that Disco uses both its own uniforms and the uniforms from the original series is pretty ridiculous. However, for this series I would have thought that they would have gone with the ones with the purple grey shoulders used later on in DS9 & the TNG movies, since (I think that) this show comes after that period in time.

Well I'm glad that they didn't decide to introduce yet another completely new set of uniforms. The fact that Disco uses both its own uniforms and the uniforms from the original series is pretty ridiculous. However, for this series I would have thought that they would have gone with the ones with the purple grey shoulders used later on in DS9 & the TNG movies, since (I think that) this show comes after that period in time.

I agree, another dramatic change would probably be too much. I haven't seen Discovery, but I didn't really care for the Enterprise uniforms very much. I don't mind them going back to the more colorful uniforms, because the ones from the movies were kind of boring. I can't even see the colored collars in the photo you posted, I just remember they're there.

As I recall, maybe I'm misremembering... but it seemed like the Federation uniforms got less and less colorful as they descended deeper and deeper into wars, particularly the wars against the Borg and the Dominion, and the Federation became more militarized as a result.

I never minded Tuvok, but would have preferred to keep Tuvix rather than letting Neelix come back with him.
I agree in the sense that while I really liked Tuvok, I think I would have rather had Tuvix than Tuvok since getting Tuvok back came with the high price of having to deal with Neelix again. Frankly the way they straight up murdered/executed Tuvix to get Tuvok and Neelix back was pretty cold blooded and wasn't very Star Trek'ey of them... Some episodes really portrayed the Voyager crew as a bunch of hard-nosed, ruthless pirates, which is how I wish they'd been portrayed for the whole show... it was a missed opportunity.

I will say that once Kes left and Neelix's jealousy over Kes was no longer an issue, he wasn't nearly as annoying anymore. It was actally kinda funny seeing him annoy the beejesus out of Tuvok.

Last edited:
I agree in the sense that while I really liked Tuvok, I think I would have rather had Tuvix than Tuvok since getting Tuvok back came with the high price of having to deal with Neelix again. Frankly the way they straight up murdered/executed Tuvix to get Tuvok and Neelix back was pretty cold blooded and wasn't very Star Trek'ey of them... Some episodes really portrayed the Voyager crew as a bunch of hard-nosed, ruthless pirates, which is how I wish they'd been portrayed for the whole show... it was a missed opportunity.
Yeah I'm really, really surprised they wrote the story that way. The "safe" thing to do would be to avoid it all and have Tuvix accidentally or voluntarily teleport himself back, which would tie it all up whilst still exploring the ethical conundrum. The fact that they actually had Janeway, with the tacit or explicit consent of most of the crew, literally murder someone was a really bold decision from the writers. That episode is one that has always stuck with me well into adulthood.

I mean IHMO the point of that episode was to make people uncomfortable. I always liked the episode for the uncomfortable decision that the crew had to make and I’m glad they didn’t just wuss out of the conundrum.

Top Bottom