All Things Star Trek

Only if you discount the first ~3 seasons imo. @Timsup2nothin, it has a pretty slow start (not nearly as bad as TNG's) but if you stick through, it gets to be amazeballs.
Try going back for a rewatch... Once you know how it ends the earlier episodes (although admittedly not as good) are redeemed a ton. You won't even remember how essential they were to the whole story until you go back and watch them again.

The last thing I have to give DS9 a lot of credit for, is that they had the skill and confidence to pull off a great show/story, with no eye-candy main female characters.
Bro did we watch the same show?
Spoiler :

jk

She was my biggest crush as a kid

Bro did we watch the same show?
Spoiler :

jk

She was my biggest crush as a kid
:) Sure Jadzia was pretty, but she was never presented as an eye candy character. She was in a regular Starfleet uniform from the very beginning in contrast to Troi, who they resisted giving a Starfleet uniform until literally the last season of the show, for no damn reason other than she needed to be eye candy. Jadzia also wasn't presented as busty, she had a major, critical role on the crew...again, in direct contrast to Troi... and repeatedly played important roles in missions, conflicts etc. Also:
Spoiler :
she was a dude... and they revealed that in the very first episode, so there was no bait-and-switch on that subject... they wanted to make her multi-gendered identity a major part of her character, and it was, which made her character even more compelling
Point is... Jadzia was a complex character, not a eye candy character. Now Seven of Nine was both, so its not mutually exclusive, I will admit.

I love the intro for Discovery S1 and S2. It's so, so good.

Picard's is extremely meh.

The one from Enterprise makes me want to hurt myself.
:culture::culture::culture:
It's been a long road,
bathing with my toaster

Wait...there's something wrong with eye candy?
Think of it this way. There's certainly nothing wrong with winning a baseball game 9 -6 where your team hits three home runs in the game... I enjoy home runs of course... but winning by throwing a no hitter is a much more rare achievement, and worthy of special praise.

I love the intro for Discovery S1 and S2. It's so, so good.

Picard's is extremely meh.

It's been a long road,
bathing with my toaster

I hated ENT's intro theme the first time I heard it, when it first came out... It was so anti everything I had come to expect from a Star Trek theme song... lyrics ?!? singing???::confused: Blasphemy!! :mad: :shake: :faint:

But when I finally watched the whole series all the way through years later... courtesy of DVR... I was going through the end/culmination of a particularly challenging time in my life and just finally starting my career after things being on hold for many years... so the theme song really resonated with me. So it had a special place in my heart. VOY had a similar resonance for similar reasons...

Jadzia also wasn't presented as busty
Well, there was that one time... ;)
Spoiler :

But, I like Enterprise's opening... :(
But when I finally watched the whole series all the way through years later... courtesy of DVR... I was going through the end/culmination of a particularly challenging time in my life and just finally starting my career after things being on hold for many years... so the theme song really resonated with me. So it had a special place in my heart. VOY had a similar resonance for similar reasons...
:love:

Did other shows have issues like that? I think Kess from Voyager hated the show and that's why they wrote her off.
She hated the Ocampan prosthetics due to allergies. That's why she suddenly acquired a vastly different hairstyle in Season 3, so it would hide her ears and she wouldn't need the prosthetics. The in-story reason is that because Ocampans only live for 9 years, she was no longer the equivalent of a 20-something human.

As for why she was written off the show... there are stories that float around fandom and who knows what the exact truth is, but the common denominator is the idea that due to hiring Jeri Ryan, they would have to fire someone else to maintain the budget. They had intended to fire Garrett Wang (Harry) since he had a habit of unprofessional behavior on the set, but then he turned up on some pop culture list of "America's 50 Most Beautiful People" and the showrunners thought they might lose female viewers in the all-important young adult advertising demographic. So they decided to fire Jennifer Lien, and going by how she's trashed her life since, she didn't take it well. Wang has been on the convention circuit for the past 20 years and has done reasonably well, though I can't think of anything he's acted in professionally since.

Even the human characters do some good work portraying the different dimensions of human culture. @Valka D'Ur might be mad at me for saying this, but as much as I despise Keiko O'Brien, she was useful for displaying how varied cultures can be between people from the same planet.
Keiko had exactly one good episode: the one where she faced down Vedek Winn over the school issue. I didn't like her in TNG, nor did I like her in DS9, for the most part. Yes, she was mostly supportive of her husband when it counted, but she could also be very whiny.

Wait...there's something wrong with eye candy?
As long as you understand that it works both ways. Some of the Trek series had attractive male guest stars. That's why I'm able to sit through some of the first-season TNG episodes everyone else seems to hate.

When I first heard the Enterprise theme song, I wondered if Scott Bakula was the singer (he is actually not a bad singer). But as for the song itself... bleah.

I love Voyager's theme, though. It's the best of all the series.

As long as you understand that it works both ways. Some of the Trek series had attractive male guest stars. That's why I'm able to sit through some of the first-season TNG episodes everyone else seems to hate.

Hey, candy comes in all flavors. You can go with whatever gets your groove on and I'm all for it.

Wang has been on the convention circuit for the past 20 years and has done reasonably well, though I can't think of anything he's acted in professionally since.
Met him once at Trek Expo in Tulsa back in the '90's. I remember him & Tim Russ had a great time goofing around with Richard Biggs & Jason Carter from B5.

Met him once at Trek Expo in Tulsa back in the '90's. I remember him & Tim Russ had a great time goofing around with Richard Biggs & Jason Carter from B5.
Ah, Marcus... he was my favorite B5 character. :)

I didn't actually get into B5 until JMS was invited to Con-Version (the annual summer SF convention I attended in Calgary). It's the only time I remember that a non-author was the Guest of Honor, and he brought a slew of bloopers. They were so funny that I realized I'd been missing out. So when I had a chance to see the series on our Space Channel, I watched it all the way through. It's part of my DVD library now.

I've enjoyed most of the theme songs. The only ones I didn't were Discovery's and TOS/TAS's. Picard's was adequate.

Discovery's, as a song, actually isn't too bad, but the visuals made absolutely no sense for the series. If I'm going to sit through an opening theme, and if that theme is going to "matter" to the experience, it has to at least represent the damn show somehow.

I'd probably rank the theme songs as...

Tied for 1st: TNG, DS9, Voyager
Enterprise
Picard
Discovery
TOS/TAS

I really can't confidently choose between the three for first. They are all works of art.

I hated Enterprise’s theme song at first but it grew on me. The lyrics really don’t match the tone of the show though IMO. Enterprise wasn’t really about faith, in fact it was more about how belief can make you blind (see T’Pol).

As an aside I’ve never understood why people hate Keiko O’Brien so much. She never bothered me.

Top Bottom