All Things Star Trek

Not these days, no!

I'm planning a fanfic recommendations thread, for however many shows, movies, or books folks might be interested in. I'm willing to search out stories that you (general you) might like, if you let me know what sort of stuff you're looking for.

Just don't expect that if I like a story, you will too - and vice-versa. I've been into fanfic for decades, both print and online, in a variety of genres and milieus. It's not only Star Trek.

And no, I'm not recommending my own work here, because aside from a couple of brief vignettes, nothing much has been posted. I just want to celebrate fanfiction (and fan videos; I've wanted to have a dedicated thread for those as well in a place where we're not going to have a 30,000+ - post thread about Axanar).

I'd probably check out some star trek fanfic films you might recommend. Never really looked into that.
I posted a few fan films some years ago, but it would be nice to have them gathered together. I think that was before the Star Trek Continues series finished. It was just recently that I saw one that Nichelle Nichols starred in, in her last appearance as Uhura before she died.

I should mention that some are only watchable on YouTube, though of course I can post links.

"Video unavailable."

Whatever. I don't watch this show, but other Canadians here do. It's ridiculous to geoblock videos and basically tell part of your viewing audience that "you're a nasty foreigner, so GTFO."

New season, new geo locked trailer lol.. happens every time. This one works for me in Australia so hopefully other non-USA folk can see it too.

I still haven't watched season 2 of 'Patrick Stewart Goes To Space', or season 4 of 'Discovery Of Infinite Melodrama', or season 1 of Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks. Those who remember my previous posts in this thread will know I was quite disappointed with new trek, buuuuut not enough to stop watching so I'll get to them eventually, just not in any hurry lol. The trailers like one certainly give me hope they have improved so I'll get to them eventually!

I still haven't watched season 2 of 'Patrick Stewart Goes To Space', or season 4 of 'Discovery Of Infinite Melodrama', or season 1 of Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks. Those who remember my previous posts in this thread will know I was quite disappointed with new trek, buuuuut not enough to stop watching so I'll get to them eventually, just not in any hurry lol. The trailers like one certainly give me hope they have improved so I'll get to them eventually!

FWIW, Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks shouldn't be associated in the same conversation with Picard and Discovery. They are light-years apart in tone and quality and coherency. SNW, in fact, may have the strongest opening season of any Trek.

FWIW, Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks shouldn't be associated in the same conversation with Picard and Discovery. They are light-years apart in tone and quality and coherency. SNW, in fact, may have the strongest opening season of any Trek.
Yeah I've heard good things about them both so fingers crossed I won't have to invent new names for them out of frustration. :lol:
S2 of Disco was actually not bad due to all the Pike, Spock, Number 1 & Enterprise stuff, so a whole show on them should be cool. I keep hearing about Lower Decks doing clever stuff connecting to old Trek in a respectful way which sounds good too.

Oh and I'm sure it's no coincidence that most of the 'much loved' S1 Picard cast are MIA from the S3 trailer lol.

I fell off the Prodigy wagon after its annoying midseason break. It was alright, but not great enough for me to excitedly pick it back up.

I finally got around to burning through the second half. I'm glad I did. It was fantastic. The maturity notched up by a few pegs and the character interactions were believable and quite organic. Additionally, the stakes and plot were significantly more coherent than those in Picard and Discovery.

Spoiler S1 spoiler :

Hilariously, this animated children's show made the Romulans scarier than the ones in Picard, a show that tried to be DARK and GRITTY. :lol:

I'd really recommend it.

Four episodes in and SNW continues to impress me. I don't think that they're all great episodes, but they are all significantly better than the usual first season malaise.

I guess Picard is a thing that's happening again.

I just saw the season premiere. It is... not good. This show continues to play at being dark and gritty. It does this poorly, so it's just more mangling of the canon.

Spoiler :
This time around, Riker is separated from Deanna, and so he wants to go on an adventure with Picard to chase after Beverly Crusher, who inexplicably cut off absolutely everyone from the Enterprise twenty years ago. Okay.

This show is severely wasting Jeri Ryan's talents, and also utterly sinking Seven's arc.

Also, everything is so damn dark. Turn on a light. Christ.

...Just noting that I'm happy for the TNG-era fans that there's something now, and point out that this is how us fans of the real thing felt about TNG-DS9-Voyager all along. As Stephen R. Donaldson had Thomas Covenant note, "The way to hurt a man who's lost everything is to give him back something broken" - and we all, fans of old and new, got it in the neck from the 09 movie, Star Track for people who hate Star Trek...

I.e., an optimistic future with better people in it is at the thematic heart of Star Trek, and even the 80s-90s revival series up to the middle of DS9's run. This is why my interest in anything they're doing these days is sub-zero, even though my sister assures me that Strange New Worlds rocks. My heart couldn't bear being given back another thing broken. :yup:

I guess Picard is a thing that's happening again.

I just saw the season premiere. It is... not good. This show continues to play at being dark and gritty. It does this poorly, so it's just more mangling of the canon.

Spoiler :
This time around, Riker is separated from Deanna, and so he wants to go on an adventure with Picard to chase after Beverly Crusher, who inexplicably cut off absolutely everyone from the Enterprise twenty years ago. Okay.

This show is severely wasting Jeri Ryan's talents, and also utterly sinking Seven's arc.

Also, everything is so damn dark. Turn on a light. Christ.
I think I only watched the first episode of Picard before my subscription expired, and I wasn't moved to renew. Guess I haven't missed anything. I think I watched the entire first couple seasons of Discovery and still it never really came together for me. I just kept waiting and waiting. Maybe 3 seasons? Whenever they went into the distant future and David Cronenberg was still alive.

...Just noting that I'm happy for the TNG-era fans that there's something now, and point out that this is how us fans of the real thing felt about TNG-DS9-Voyager all along. As Stephen R. Donaldson had Thomas Covenant note, "The way to hurt a man who's lost everything is to give him back something broken" - and we all, fans of old and new, got it in the neck from the 09 movie, Star Track for people who hate Star Trek...

I.e., an optimistic future with better people in it is at the thematic heart of Star Trek, and even the 80s-90s revival series up to the middle of DS9's run. This is why my interest in anything they're doing these days is sub-zero, even though my sister assures me that Strange New Worlds rocks. My heart couldn't bear being given back another thing broken. :yup:
No, really, watch Strange New Worlds. :thumbsup:

I do believe the both of you - just, watching TV is inconvenient enough in my current circumstances that that's a deal-breaker, or I'd have had much more to say in your Movies/TV-focused Superheroes thread from the beginning...

---Well also, Strange New Worlds LOOKS slightly wrong -too bright/colorful, and the unforms changed and I'm a geek; leave me alone for minding- and it's not possible for it not to be doing a little violence to canon. It can't possibly be so good that I wouldn't mind. I DID hate Enterprise less than most trekkers, but they need to stop doing prequels as too problematic and mess-making.

Last edited:
I think I watched the entire first couple seasons of Discovery and still it never really came together for me. I just kept waiting and waiting. Maybe 3 seasons? Whenever they went into the distant future and David Cronenberg was still alive.

Seasons 3 & 4 are in the 32nd Century, yes, but what do you mean was still alive? He still is.

Top Bottom