1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

28 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. Jedi

39 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Correct. They painted themselves into a corner with that... They needed a kindergartener, because it was a kid's movie... like a Home Alone in space... but they also needed a future love interest for said kindergartener, so she had to be really young... but she also had to be important enough to justify Jedi bodyguards and also be a "leader" bossing people around... which only makes sense if she's royalty. But then if Anakin is marrying "the Queen" that makes Luke a Prince which wasn't the case. It also makes Anakin the King, which also wasn't the case, so she needed to be freed from her royal mantle somehow to maintain continuity.

Plus they wanted her to be going on missions with Anakin without all her royal attendants which would have been impossible for a Queen to do. they also wanted her out of those gigantic ceremonial robes with all the elaborate head-dress and clown facepaint, in favor of things more alluring... also impossible with her remaining as Queen... so they just handwaived "Queen" into a temporary elected office... the requirement of which apparently is that you must be no older than 17 to hold... so I guess she aged out of the Queenship and had to run for "Senator" instead... preposterous.:ack:

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  2. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

The opposition to Naboo's elective monarchy is kind of contingent on the idea that the planet's populace is anti-monarchy or otherwise sees the position of queen as being anything more than symbolic and propped up by the advisory council. If everyone is on board with the idea that the a child queen is their collective cultural symbol and identity, it's not really incoherent that they'd elect a child queen.

3. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Doesn't centrally concern Luke. And yes. But my point is that there's a far deeper reason for using Skywalker in the title than to respond to miffed fanbois.

They also needed a kindergartener to take Darth Vader back to a stage where he was intrinsically good. Anakin's story is of being good, turning bad, then going back to good at the end. As will be true for Kylo, as well.

4. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Another upside to Episode II is that probably the funniest part of those youtube videos from my earlier post is when Obi-Wan aka Larry Kenobi challenges Jango Fett to a bass-off in their starfighters :lol:

Don't be too impressed, I think it took me even longer to figure out that Phantom Menace is the best one, but in my defense Revenge of the Sith came out in theaters when I was thirteen years old.
    fwiw I think all the prequels are fundamentally kids' movies...Return of the Jedi too though the some won't like to hear that. Empire is the most adult one, and the original Star Wars is so magical because it was (and is) a movie that made adults react to it the way kids react to a kids' movie.

There is nothing in Episode I to suggest that the Queen is meant to be propped up by the advisory council. IIRC Amidala overrides the opinions of an adviser (Captain Panaka, Sio Bibble, even Senator Palpatine) more than once and clearly formulates the plan that forms the plot of the third act alone, without even much input from Qui-Gon.

Now, apparently the "this planet is populated by people so dumb they voted to be governed by a middle-schooler" thing is handwaved by saying the people of Naboo believe young teenage girls have a "childlike wisdom" that adults lack...which really means @Sommerswerd is correct and they needed a love interest for young Anakin that ticked some boxes and they didn't think too hard about it making actual sense (which actually makes sense because...kid's movie, it doesn't need to make sense).

Actually I think this is part of the story that works: in Episode II Anakin mentions that the people of Naboo tried to amend the Constitution to allow her to serve another term, so the Queen is clearly term-limited (the explanation for "ageing out") and it would make perfect sense for prominent planetary politicians to go on to represent their planet or sector in the Senate. Goes double because running some two-horse planet like Naboo is a couple of steps in prestige down from being a Senator, but Padme was a Queen of particular distinction, liberating the planet from Federation rule almost single-handedly and against the advice of the Senator, her head of security, and her Jedi bodyguards.

5. Synsensa

I see the (lack of) intellectual rigor of Naboo's governance as no more damning than the Rebel Alliance waging war alongside sentient teddy bears who worship the Metal Man. Almost everything and everyone in the Star Wars universe is stupid.

6. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Bah, see, you make the same mistake in underestimating the Ewoks that the Empire did :lol: Ironically...

7. Takhisis

Takhisis chick digs giant robots

Ah yes, the angry staff officer articles on SW are a blast.
    Somebody's being negative today. At least you're being consistent regarding your irrational hatred of furries.

8. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Widowmaker

Versailles City, United Systems of New Coruscant
    From what I heard, the Ewoks were just a ploy to gain the attention of children for the “cute” factor. I would be fine with it....if they kept the original and had the battle take place on Chewy’s homeplanet and replaced the Ewoks with Wookiees.

9. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

That's very well put.

Ewoks are just an extension of the franchise's core principle that earnest, plucky, good-hearted primitives will triumph over sterile, technologically-advanced malice. I doubt the odds of them against the attacker were greater than the tiny fleet of X- and Y-wings against the Death Star, and yet those plucky Rebel pilots were able to defeat the greatest firepower the galaxy had known--if they just knew to turn off their targeting computers.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  10. Synsensa

Goodhearted primitives? They had the rebels on spit roasts.

Thorvald of Lym and GenMarshall like this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Minor correction: they weren't spit roasts, they were tied to the poles, idk what you call that but it isn't a spit roast :shifty:

They were definitely eating captive Imperials at that party at the end too, just sayin

12. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Well, there's that.

13. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It's not cannibalism if you're a fuzzy little bear person. It's ordinary, natural predation.

Lexicus likes this.
  14. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Normally I wouldn't post a cam video, but omg this is the 7 minute preview of The Mandalorian that screened at Celebration and...

Spoiler :

Kowakian Kebabs anyone?? :lol:

Synsensa likes this.
  15. Takhisis

You would be amazed at how many people think of cannibalism and anthropophagia as synonyms.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Good heart vs good appetite is never really a contest.

Synsensa likes this.
  17. Synsensa

Presented without comment.

18. Takhisis

*does not comment on Synsensa's picture*
    The heart is an edible part of the body.

19. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Oh, yeah, I've forgotten to tell you all how that creature fits into my theories about the plot of IX . . .

20. Synsensa

Is it Shmi?

JohannaK and Thorvald of Lym like this.