1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

29 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Jedi

39 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Yoda/Palpatine was a work of art, though. Not in terms of narrative tension, but it just looked amazing.

2. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Empire and Jedi fights still hold up because of that. Phantom's is just sad. It's a bloody ballet which okay, fine, it's pretty, but it completely removes the tension from the actual swordfighting. It's when people fall or get physically separated that tension builds up.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Well, it was a spectacle, but it's not a particular memorable fight. It doesn't tell us anything about the characters or their relationship. The characters fight the way they do because the director thought it would look cool. It doesn't tell us anything about their character, their ethos, or their journey to that point. It's just two wizard flinging space-magic at each other.

This something which Phantom actually gets right, because the final battle clearly establishes Maul as a different kind of fighter and therefore, in the logic of martial arts films, a different kind of person than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, and allows the fight to serve as a proxy for the philosophical conflict between the Jedi and Sith. Ironically, it predates the films I cited as an influence, but that might be the problem, that in Phantom the starting point was the original trilogy and the samurai films that inspired them, so the creative choices were logical developments from that starting point, while the fights in Clones and Sith were scrambling to imitate other films, which the film-makers were either unequipped to do so successfully, or failed to allocate appropriate resources to do so.

4. JohannaK

In George Lucas' words: "there was a lot of <<they fight>> in that script".

5. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

If George Lucas once decided to replace the old Darth Vader Force-Ghost with Hayden Christensen, maybe we could persuade him to include that video?

6. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

That's not what I meant. It didn't just 'look cool', it was an objectively good piece of art (most other prequel duels were not). I'm not defending the movie.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Eeeeh, we may be getting into a philosophical discussion here, but art is never ‘objectively’ good. Beauty is always a subjective concept.

JohannaK likes this.
  8. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Now, I'm caught up with Darths and Droids. What the blazes is going on? Is there a missing Mark-Hamill-meets-Jim-Henson-and-they-write-a-script-while-on-drugs episode of The Muppet Show that I've missed?

It's that, isn't it?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

That also... already has happened... and yes you missed it. But I've got you covered...

For the whole episode... click this link

You're welcome ;)

Takhisis likes this.
  10. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Excellent.

11. Traitorfish

It wasn't an objectively good fight, then, if you want to phrase it in those terms. Cinematic combat is an art-form in its own right, an the Yoda/Palpatine battle barely even qualifies as a fight when stacked up against the Hong Kong or Japanese traditions. The actual light-saber duel lasts less than sixty second, and displays no particular artfulness in its choreography, little creativity in its use of weapons or the environment, we don't learn anything about the characters except that Palpatine is marginally more powerful than Yoda, and it doesn't have any narrative function except maneuvering Yoda where he needs to be for the ending. It's just some stuff that happens.

Thorvald of Lym and JohannaK like this.
  12. JohannaK

I've got to re-watch Yojimbo and Sanjuro. It's been too long. Yojimbo might just be the best samurai movie, and it started a string of several movies where Mifune Tōshiro and Nakadai Tatsuya starred as rivals or enemies to each other. Two of the greatest actors in Japanese cinematic history.

Kitano's Zatoichi is also great at displaying and contrasting character through fighting.

13. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  14. Traitorfish

I'm excited to see what America's leading Confederacy fan-fic writers have to say about Star Wars.

Thorvald of Lym and Synsensa like this.
  15. JohannaK

I would very much rather have a Rian Johnson trilogy than a D&D one. I am sure they'll do a good job at the start, but I fear they might peter out at the end like they jist did with GoT.

16. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Eh?

18. Traitorfish

Wait, Harry Turtledove isn't dead yet?

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

20. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Widowmaker: Ghost Operative

Versailles City, United Systems of New Coruscant
    So are we going to see everyone getting killed off left and right in the Star Wars universe?

There’s only so much I could take after our beloved meme Admrial kicked the bucket.