Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Interestingly, no one I know is planning on going to see it during the first week of release.

I saw TFA and Rogue One ~3 days after release. TLJ after 2 weeks. Solo not at all. This one is shaping up to be 2 weeks, probably.

I was hyped for TFA and Rogue One, not hyped for the rest. The incentive to deal with the crowds and ticket sites for that initial rush just hasn't been there. :(

I'm gonna watch it day 1 no question. Star Wars is always a spectacle. It is probably the last one I do that for.

I'm interested in leaks. PMs if you dont want to go public.

Everyone is saying the horse charge is on a Bellator class or maybe a Super Star Destroyer. It could be the Eclipse, the SSD that founded the First Order and that is where the Emperor could be and honestly?

Palps is allowing this because fudge it he's like 100 years old. Seeing people charge at him on horses is something new. He needs the input.

But nothing about this makes sense and just reinforces the view I've had from TFA. This is an incoherent half-cooked mess. It could had been built on in TLJ but it wasn't. And now it's all been thrown out for ROS. Each of these movies feel like they have been their own standalone thing, have too narrow of a focus, and produce too many questions and objections for a multi-billion dollar franchise to reasonably accept - but here we are.

All of this could had been hammered out three, four years ago in a week of meetings or one meeting. Many of us can and have produced plots and posts about a plot in mere minutes....

But since it'll make a billion dollars on a 300 mil budget, they don't care how sloppy it is. Just that it gets a return.

Last edited:
Rise Of Skywalker runtime is 155 minutes (2 hours, 35 minutes).

Previously,
  • A New Hope – 121 minutes
  • The Empire Strikes Back – 124 minutes
  • Return of the Jedi – 131 minutes
  • The Phantom Menace – 136 minutes
  • Attack of the Clones – 142 minutes
  • Revenge of the Sith – 140 minutes
  • The Force Awakens – 138 minutes
  • Rogue One – 133 minutes
  • The Last Jedi – 152 minutes
  • Solo – 135 minutes
There's been no extended cut releases of the Disney SW movies so far.

Not a spoiler -
Spoiler :

Not a spoiler -
Spoiler :
Yeah, whether or not Rey is a Mary Sue is evidently a contentious topic for some folks. I don't see her that way, but I guess I see how the argument can be made. I do wonder how Star Wars became such a focal point for nerdtentiousness. Was it always thus? I don't really remember it being that way, back in the day, but I suppose that was before the internet was a glimmer in anybody's eye. I don't know a single person who doesn't say that Han shot first, for example. I do remember some people not liking the Ewoks, but I don't remember anybody saying they ruined anything. Maybe the prequel trilogy opened a Pandora's Box, what with midichlorians and Jar-Jar and acting that made me think "Y'know, Mark Hamill wasn't so bad in the first movie." :lol:

Oooooh Space Horseys! :clap: My daughter will be thrilled! :D

I'm gonna watch it day 1 no question. Star Wars is always a spectacle. It is probably the last one I do that for.

I'm interested in leaks. PMs if you dont want to go public.
I'm probably going opening weekend, just because Day 1 isn't possible with my small children.

That's only fair.

Re: Ewoks, they never ruimed anything but they are rather silly in retrospect.

Hot take: space horseys are in IX because JJ couldnt find a better Ewok-equivalent. They dont look like the horses from VIII either.

On the Mary Sue thing, it's funny because in the video of Lucas responding to the trailer, he bemoans the fact that Rey is so skilled from the outset. It violates, in his thinking, the core of Star Wars films, which is what he calls "the hero's journey." He defines that as that you start out a nobody and make a lot of mistakes before you grow in power. But I'm thinking about the action of episode 4. In a matter of days, Luke goes from a farmboy fixing vaporators to a guy who takes down the most powerful weapon ever created in his universe. Lucas is thinking of Empire and all the frustrations Luke faces in his training with Yoda. But in the first movie Luke does more, again days after leaving home, than Rey has done yet.

How many days pass from when Luke shows up in New Hope?

1) Buy droids, find out at nightfall one has run off, 2) track down droid, meed old wizard, come back to find family murdered.

Trip to the wretched hive of scum and villainy? at most a couple of days (3-4)

I don't think they spend any time in Mos Eisley. They're looking for transport and we see them connect with their first lead. Jump in the Falcon quick. Go to lightspeed quick.

There's time for a game of chess and some blind lightsaber practice while going through hyperspace. But do any days pass? We don't see Chewy put on pajamas at any stage. But let's say (5)

Into the Death Star, rescue, out. No overnights there.

Hyperspace trip to rebel base, again, however much time is spent when you are in hyperspace, maybe less than a day. But let's say (6)

No time spent snoozing on the moon of Yavin. We've got the scematics from this little R2 unit and the attack is impending. But let's say one overnight to get rested for space battle (7).

So maybe six, seven days tops? Has anyone worked it out more fully than this?

So in that space of time, he goes from farmboy to savior of the Universe. What's MarySueier than that?

Last edited:
I've always thought it was a matter of days, a week at most. I'd say it really depends on the aforementioned space-travel times.

On the Mary Sue thing, it's funny because in the video of Lucas responding to the trailer, he bemoans the fact that Rey is so skilled from the outset. It violates, in his thinking, the core of Star Wars films, which is what he calls "the hero's journey." He defines that as that you start out a nobody and make a lot of mistakes before you grow in power. But I'm thinking about the action of episode 4. In a matter of days, Luke goes from a farmboy fixing vaporators to a guy who takes down the most powerful weapon ever created in his universe. Lucas is thinking of Empire and all the frustrations Luke faces in his training with Yoda. But in the first movie Luke does more, again days after leaving home, than Rey has done yet.
I mean this is hardly the first time George has exposed himself as a massive hypocrite...

I'd make a crack that the Hero's Journey is an archetypically masculine frame for storytelling so of course Rey doesn't fit, but then certain people might start bashing me as an ess-jay-dubya corruptin' y'all with the Cultural Marxisms.

I couldn't believe how bitter he sounded. Dude, you created a universe that other people want to tell stories in. Pat yourself on the back. They're not going to tell your story; that one's been told.

Anyway, blows to hell the premise for my guess at the plot of IX. That was premised on the notion that Lucas worked out a 9-film saga and passed the rough plot-line for the remaining films on to Disney.

I'm still sticking with my theory, though.

I couldn't believe how bitter he sounded. Dude, you created a universe that other people want to tell stories in. Pat yourself on the back. They're not going to tell your story; that one's been told.
And people wonder why we're scared of deepfakes.

Well, yes, but then there's also the great Kate (a.k.a. Katharine Hepburn) who used to say that she was successful because she lived her life like a man. Maybe Rey could do that, too.
I know what you mean, though I still find it a shame Disney would rather recycle convention than take a goddamn chance for once. :(

In a matter of days, Luke goes from a farmboy fixing vaporators to a guy who takes down the most powerful weapon ever created in his universe. Lucas is thinking of Empire and all the frustrations Luke faces in his training with Yoda. But in the first movie Luke does more, again days after leaving home, than Rey has done yet.

It's been a while since I've seen episode IV but as I recall Luke was already a pilot on Tatoonie. There was that line about bulls-eyeing womp rats in his T-16. It's kind of just thrown in there but at least it's an token attempt to show he has some flying skill already. Blowing up the death star is certainly a couple of steps up from that but it's kinda, sorta, roughly the same skill set.

Rey by contrast in VII displays a lot of the same force powers as Obi-Wan in IV and she doesn't have any training. Mind-controlling stormtroopers and facing off against the sith lord seems like advanced force powers, at least in the way it's been presented in the movies.

Sort of a tangent: mind-controlling people seems really dark. Not sure how Jedi get away with that.

Are you referring to that video @Laurana Kanan posted on the previous page? I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be a skit. If you look closely you can see his hair is a wig and the way he moves, his laugh, it's all a bit off.

How much training does Luke have? Say a couple days with the old Ben, and a couple more with the old dwarf, before either they die or he leaves just for them to die immediately upon his return. Luke never had any sort of proper training under anyone but himself that can account for pretty mich anything he was capable of by the end.

Rey has had to carve out a living from sand and scraps since she was like 5. That doesnt imply Jedi skills, but it implies more survival skills than the son of a moisture farmer.

Well, life out in the desert's supposed to be pretty rough (I don't know how much of the old EU now remains canon, nor to what degree) for both of them, but in Luke's case you can always say ‘he's the Chosen One, his powers have finally activated!’ With Rey it's not that clear, not least because it still remains unexplained what and who she is.

Re: Mandalorian, I like those pictures, if Disney shoves it onto one of its channels I might watch it, but I'm not going out of my way to.

You'll note both of them lived on a desert but one had friends and a loving family and the other was sold for booze at like 5.

You'll note both of them lived on a desert but one had friends and a loving family and the other was sold for booze at like 5.
Which strengthens them in different ways!

Also, as Laurana says, there might be some surprises still. It's J.J. at the helm after all.

So maybe six, seven days tops? Has anyone worked it out more fully than this?

So in that space of time, he goes from farmboy to savior of the Universe. What's MarySueier than that?
You're missing the most important part Gori... You have to be a gurl to be a "Mary Sue." For guy heroes its perfectly fine... normal even. The "Mary Sue" outrage only applies to female lead characters, because OP male characters aren't immersion breaking... since that's what dudes expect, no matter how ridiculous it is... its make-believe afterall so dudes are willing to suspend their disbelief. Its only when there is a strong heroine that dudes notice and say "Hey! This isn't realistic!" They just can't suspend their disbelief for a powerful lead female character. That's all it is.

Luke fought off an entire platoon of trained soldiers who were shooting at him from the high ground, then used a grappling hook... which he successfully hooked on the first try... to swing across an at least 20 foot expanse, all while simultaneously carrying the princess and being shot at. There is zero justification shown in the film for Luke to have such Batman-like skills... other than "because he is the chosen one and the force is with him" which applies equally to Rey. At least Rey is actually shown onscreen displaying ninja skills before she starts doing Jedi stuff.
That's only fair.

Re: Ewoks, they never ruimed anything but they are rather silly in retrospect.

Hot take: space horseys are in IX because JJ couldnt find a better Ewok-equivalent. They dont look like the horses from VIII either.
Porgs are a perfectly fine Ewok substitute... just as adorable, only half as ridiculous, and twice as delicious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom