1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

29 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Jedi

39 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I'm respectfully asking others to join in. :rolleyes:

2. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Dude, don't even joke.

tjs282 likes this.
  3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Saying that something is bad and other people shouldn't buy it still isn't a boycott, it's an opinion. I think that Five Guys is overpriced and that other people should have more sense that to patronise them, but I'm not "boycotting" them.

4. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

You know what, you're right. I've been thinking too small. We need protests and picket lines outside of movie theaters.

5. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

That would be ridiculous, yes. But that it is ridiculous doesn't prove that you're engaged in some sort of boycott, only that the characterisation of perfectly ordinary commercial behaviour as a "boycott" is itself ridiculous.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Of course. No pirating either. :p
    Who said it was a joke? At least he doesn't go in for lens flares.

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

How dare you sir!:mad: Five Guys Burgers and Fries is a delicious AND nutritious example of the proper way to separate people from their money and make them feel happy whilst doing it. I demand a retraction! Retraction I say! Retraction! Retraction!:gripe:

8. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Star Wars is still the best example of that tbh.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  9. Sommerswerd

Way to bring it back around to the thread topic... Nicely done;)

10. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

11. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Yes...yes it was.

12. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

from the article:

13. Sommerswerd

As I've said before. Episode 1 is fine once you realize what it is and look at it through that lens. It's a stuffed-animal-friends/cartoon + live action kids movie for pre-schoolers and elementary school kids... like Barney the Dinosaur, Fragle Rock, Sesame Street, Teletubbies, Air Bud, Space Jam, etc... using Star Wars as a backdrop/setting. The target audience is kids Anakin's age. Kids 3-8 years old love Jar-Jar.

Once you realize that, its actually quite good. Its a great movie to watch with your small children... much more bearable than Barney the Dinosaur or Teletubbies.

caketastydelish likes this.
  14. Sommerswerd

It's not about having the mind of a child. It's about being a child. The movie is for small children, like Thomas the Tank or Handy Manny. We wanted it to be the spiritual successor of Episode 4 and evaluated it on those terms. But it simply isn't that. It's not even the same genre as Episode 4. It's a children's movie. It's a cartoon for little kids and it's fine when evaluated on those terms. I'm not holding Barney the Dinosaur up to the same standards for script and plot and writing as I would a action/sci-fi/fantasy movie for adults.

caketastydelish likes this.
  15. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

If Episode I is meant for a different audience, then it is a "what the bleep were they thinking" decision. Can you imagine what that would look like for other franchises? What if one of the Saw movies was for kids? Or the next Bond movie was a romantic comedy? Doing that would be a big middle finger to the existing fans.

16. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Thomas the Tank Engine. Outside of North Korea I haven't seen the military selling itself to preschoolers. :p

Or they made Warhammer family friendl—...oh.

"Obi-Wan never told you what happened to the fandom..."
    "He told me enough! He told me Kathleen Kennedy killed it!"
    "No... I... killed the fandom."

tjs282 and Arakhor like this.
  17. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

This is probably true, but (unsurprisingly, I begin to disagree) it's not a very good way of establishing the merit of a film. Movies pitched at 3-8 year olds have a market. Lucas may have decided to make a film to exploit that market. That film may have had its intended commercial appeal to 3-8 year olds. But the audience for a Star Wars film, as others have pointed out, isn't only 3-8 year olds, or even primarily 3-8 years olds, and by pitching it that way, he disappointed a lot of people who are in other age groups than 3-8. And that's a lot of people.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Yeah, I kindof actually still like the film (I watched it again last week) but there's still some cringeworthy scenes and there's the constant sense of of ‘it could actually have been a great film!’ rather than ‘well, OK, the great visuals make up for the mediocre plot and some good actors manage to make it watchable’.

cringeworthy parts, e.g. Jake Lloyd's part was so badly directed and scripted, just like Hayden Christensen's, that it's no wonder he didn't want to act again.
    And why the hell reveal who the Emperor was from the beginning?
    One of the most disturbing things about US gun shows is how they make guns ‘for little girls’ that shoot actual metal bullets at actual gunpowder-driven speeds but are coated in glossy pink or magenta or a similar ‘girly’ colour and have happy peppy names like ‘my first gun’. But there's a different thread for that.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Well, it's not as if we didn't already know that it was going to be Ian McDiarmuid though.

20. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

They didn't have to cast him, as much as may I like him as an actor, and thus more or less give it away from the start.