Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Mandalorian looks rad.

Game Of Thrones showrunners SW trilogy is cancelled -

‘Star Wars’ Setback: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Exit Trilogy

EXCLUSIVE: David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the duo who in 2011 launched the singular screen sensation known as Game of Thrones, have walked away from their much-publicized deal with Disney’s Lucasfilm to launch a feature film trilogy in 2022.

Benioff and Weiss were supposed to usher in the post-Skywalkera era of the Star Wars brand with a 2022 new-start story that would stake out a new frontier for the era-defining cinema brand created by George Lucas. The Emmy-winning pair cited their historic deal with Netflix. They said their enthusiasm for Star Wars remains boundless but, regrettably, their schedule is full up.

“We love Star Wars,” the pair said in a statement to Deadline. “When George Lucas built it, he built us too. Getting to talk about Star Wars with him and the current Star Wars team was the thrill of a lifetime, and we will always be indebted to the saga that changed everything.”
That 2022 release date made the Benioff/Weiss start-up the next-in-line Star Wars installment following this December’s The Rise of Skywalker, the finale chapter of the Skywalker family chronicles that have been captivating moviegoers since 1977.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has plenty of other Star Wars projects in the hopper — The Rise of Skywalker in December, The Madalorian in 15 days on Disney+, and the ramping Ewan McGregor series, to name just three — so it’s unclear how much of a setback the now-nixed trilogy presents. There’s no shortage of upcoming collaborators lined up, either, among them Rian Johnson and Kevin Feige.

Kennedy didn’t close shut any doors in her send-off statement on Monday: “David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers,. We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars.”

Clearly, it’s a big-fizzle ending for the firecracker-fuse headline from February 2018 when the deal was announced. But the duo’s deal arguably lost some luster during the much-maligned final season of Game of Thrones earlier this year as many fans questioned whether the GOT creators had the storytelling chops to handle a Jedi saga.

In the end, however, it appears the tandem’s deficiency was in time, not talent. In August, Deadline broke the news that the GOT duo had signed a nine-figure deal with Netflix and, on Monday, that commitment was the one that brought about the end of the Great Westeros Experiment by Disney and Lucasfilm.

“There are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects,” the GOT pair said in a statement to Deadline. “So we are regretfully stepping away.”

Last edited:
If you're referring to the video I posted, you do know that that wasn't the "real" George Lucas, right? It was pretty obvious wasn't it?
I didn't know that. I was taken in. I attributed everything "off" about Lucas as a result of his having aged since I've last seen him.

Well, on the good end, then my starting premise for my theory about the plot of IX remains unperturbed.

You're missing the most important part Gori... You have to be a gurl to be a "Mary Sue."
Well, there are Marty Stus, as I understand it.

Porgs are a perfectly fine Ewok substitute... just as adorable, only half as ridiculous, and twice as delicious.

I read somewhere that porgs were necessary because the island they were shooting on was so overrun with puffins that they couldn't be kept out of frame so they just quit trying and edited them into porgs.

The galaxy awaits as Cal Kestis embarks upon an epic journey in hopes of rebuilding the Jedi Order. Fight for your survival, explore the mysteries of a long-extinct civilization, and become a Jedi on November 15.

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order is a third-person action-adventure game from Respawn Entertainment. Available on Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC on November 15, 2019.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/10/18/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-the-final-preview

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order may be the best Star Wars game in a decade

‘Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order’: What to Expect From EA and Respawn’s Latest

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order director on risk-taking, crunch, and Cal

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Isn't Groundbreaking, But It's Still Exciting

Obi-Wan show next summer.

Star Wars: Ewan McGregor Talks The Obi-Wan Series
Ewan McGregor is one of those people who works consistently, but is having another of his bigger moments thanks to the impending arrival of Doctor Sleep and next year's villainous turn in next year's Birds Of Prey. But even more than those two, the world is anticipating his return to the Star Wars galaxy with the new Obi-Wan Kenobi-focused series for Disney+. McGregor is now (a little) more able to talk about the latter, including the fact that he's known about it for longer than he's ever been able to let on.

"It’s a fudging massive relief," he tells Men's Journal. "Because for four years, I’ve been having to lie to people about it." Though he's naturally under orders not to spill much, he did reveal a few new snippets, though Disney had already announced the time period for the show.

"The storyline sits between Episode III and Episode IV,” he says. “The Jedi Order was falling apart. It will be interesting to take a character we know in a way and show him—Well, his arc will be quite interesting, I think, dealing with that the fact that all the Jedi were slaughtered with the end of Episode III. It’s quite something to get over." And he knows what direction he wants to take the character: "I want to get closer and closer to how Obi-Wan felt while Alec Guinness was playing him. I feel like I’m grayer and nearer him in age, so it’ll be easier to do that." For more from McGregor, head to Men's Journal's site.

The six-episode series will shoot next summer with The Mandalorian's Deborah Chow directing several (if not all) of them.

I didn't know that. I was taken in. I attributed everything "off" about Lucas as a result of his having aged since I've last seen him.

Well, on the good end, then my starting premise for my theory about the plot of IX remains unperturbed.

Well, there are Marty Stus, as I understand it.
No there aren't :nope: I'd never heard of that term until you mentioned it just now... Sounds like something somebody came up with precisely as cover to avoid being called sexist for describing female characters as Mary Sues... "See! There's a boy version of the term so it can't possibly be sexist!" :rolleyes: As you probably know, "Mary Sue" is the name of an actual Star Trek character, Lieutenant Mary Sue, who was really good at her job, and considered by some to be too perfect, which is where the term comes from.

For giggles I used the Googlemachine on the term and what comes up is mostly stuff about an old rock musician named Marty Stuart, however, I did find one "TV Tropes" wiki entry for the term, which TL;DR says "See! There's a boy version of the term 'Mary Sue' so its not sexist!":lol: but then when you read the description of what a so-called Marty Stu is actually supposed to be... its just an on-the-nose description of pretty much every male action movie/comic book / sci-fi / fantasy hero ever... Like seriously I was reading the description thinking oh yeah that's just like Captain Kirk... or James Bond... or Tony Stark... or Captain America... or Superman... or Rambo... Captain Jack Sparrow... or...

The term "Marty Stu" is meaningless since literally ever male hero qualifies. They're all Marty Stu's so none of them are. So yeah Mary Sue is just for gurls...
I read somewhere that porgs were necessary because the island they were shooting on was so overrun with puffins that they couldn't be kept out of frame so they just quit trying and edited them into porgs.
I'd heard that but I didn't know if it was real of just an urban legend. If it's true though it makes the Porgs even more legit.

Last edited:
I'd heard that but I didn't know if it was real of just an urban legend. If it's true though it makes the Porgs even more legit.

Now I wish even more that I remembered where I read it. It seemed really legit at the time...

<pause for internet searching>

Okay, so I have now found it discussed in an interview with the guy who is credited for drawing the concept art for the porgs. I'll go with true.

How much training does Luke have? Say a couple days with the old Ben, and a couple more with the old dwarf, before either they die or he leaves just for them to die immediately upon his return. Luke never had any sort of proper training under anyone but himself that can account for pretty mich anything he was capable of by the end.

Rey has had to carve out a living from sand and scraps since she was like 5. That doesnt imply Jedi skills, but it implies more survival skills than the son of a moisture farmer.
Again, about Luke... I've been driving a car for almost 30 years. I can drive manual (stick) shift. I've driven all kinds of vehicles from delivery trucks, to vans to large pickups, to sports cars, to SUV's and everything in between.

However, there is ZERO chance that I could sit down in a Formula 1 Indy race car and expect to complete a race without crashing, let alone win the race against pro-drivers. But that is precisely what Luke does... sits down in a fighter jet for the first time and defeats trained pilots, based on his experience flying whatever small cargo/joyriding craft he uses at home in his spare time. Its completely absurd.

I'm reminded of what Han says to Luke when Luke complains that he's going too slow with the Empire chasing them... "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy" It's a great line and accidentally illustrates how preposterous it is that Luke is able to successfully lead a fighter squadron against the Death Star. Of course he shouldn't be able to do that. He's a freaking teenage crop-dusting moisture farmer. But we loved every minute of it and it gets a pass, because... :dunno:

Again, about Luke... I've been driving a car for almost 30 years. I can drive manual (stick) shift. I've driven all kinds of vehicles from delivery trucks, to vans to large pickups, to sports cars, to SUV's and everything in between.

However, there is ZERO chance that I could sit down in a Formula 1 Indy race car and expect to complete a race without crashing, let alone win the race against pro-drivers. But that is precisely what Luke does... sits down in a fighter jet for the first time and defeats trained pilots, based on his experience flying whatever small cargo/joyriding craft he uses at home in his spare time. Its completely absurd.

I'm reminded of what Han says to Luke when Luke complains that he's going too slow with the Empire chasing them... "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy" It's a great line and accidentally illustrates how preposterous it is that Luke is able to successfully lead a fighter squadron against the Death Star. Of course he shouldn't be able to do that. He's a freaking teenage crop-dusting moisture farmer. But we loved every minute of it and it gets a pass, because... :dunno:

Well, because he's a cute guy and the princess is swooning over him. Or maybe swooning over Han. Hard to tell. Swooning isn't really a reliably directional thing, it's just what we demand from princesses in fiction. Because if they do anything else we're gonna rant about Mary Sues. But we're not sexist.

I think Rey and her accomplishments would be easily accepted if she existed in connection to the other characters. As it is, you could remove everyone except maybe Kylo Ren and Rey would be Rey, doing Rey things. She's great, and awesome, and absolutely and totally disconnected from every other character. We get scenes where we're supposed to care about her feelings but we've been given no reason to think those feelings legitimate. We know she cares about people because we're told she cares about people, but we aren't really shown it, not really.

Luke, and even Anakin, have clear relationships with other characters. They're OP, but it's always in contrast and in connection with the people around them. Luke has genuine banter with the cast, Anakin has a genuine familial relationship with Obi-Wan and grew up with Jar-Jar (*gasp*!). Rey... Rey what? She hit Finn in the face with a stick and then pretty much never ended up in the same room as him again. Poe? Poe who? Han was just sorta there. We're expected to believe she and Leia were besties but why? Even her relationship with Luke, arguably the person she's spent the most time with, is compromised by her pouting over Kylo and being sad, but not in any way that actually relates to Luke.

Rey has experiences outside of the cast. She is separate, even when we're being insisted to that she isn't. That's why she's a Mary Sue, because she exists solely to be Rey, and not as part of the story.

I think Rey and her accomplishments would be easily accepted if she existed in connection to the other characters. As it is, you could remove everyone except maybe Kylo Ren and Rey would be Rey, doing Rey things. She's great, and awesome, and absolutely and totally disconnected from every other character. We get scenes where we're supposed to care about her feelings but we've been given no reason to think those feelings legitimate. We know she cares about people because we're told she cares about people, but we aren't really shown it, not really.

Luke, and even Anakin, have clear relationships with other characters. They're OP, but it's always in contrast and in connection with the people around them. Luke has genuine banter with the cast, Anakin has a genuine familial relationship with Obi-Wan and grew up with Jar-Jar (*gasp*!). Rey... Rey what? She hit Finn in the face with a stick and then pretty much never ended up in the same room as him again. Poe? Poe who? Han was just sorta there. We're expected to believe she and Leia were besties but why? Even her relationship with Luke, arguably the person she's spent the most time with, is compromised by her pouting over Kylo and being sad, but not in any way that actually relates to Luke.

Rey has experiences outside of the cast. She is separate, even when we're being insisted to that she isn't. That's why she's a Mary Sue, because she exists solely to be Rey, and not as part of the story.

I think that isn't just a Rey problem but a wider problem with the sequel trilogy. Many of the main characters are separate from each other for long periods of screen time. Finn and Poe only have a few scenes together over two movies. That clip in the trailer with 3PO saying he wants to look at his friends one last time, well that rings hollow because he has basically been reduced to cameo roles up to this point. We're told there are relationships between these people but we haven't been shown it so far.

I think that isn't just a Rey problem but a wider problem with the sequel trilogy. Many of the main characters are separate from each other for long periods of screen time. Finn and Poe only have a few scenes together over two movies. That clip in the trailer with 3PO saying he wants to look at his friends one last time, well that rings hollow because he has basically been reduced to cameo roles up to this point. We're told there are relationships between these people but we haven't been shown it so far.

If only they wrote a convincing and connected story where the gang is actually a gang over three movies instead of shoving it into one and giving these characters arbitrary importance.

Leia runs to Rey over Chewie, anyone? Rose dragging Fynn across the galaxy when it could EASILY had been him and Poe?

Last edited:
Sounds more like a general writing problem than a Rey problem.

Ugh, can't you guys discuss something else. The Rey as Mary Sue vs Luke debate is so incredibly boring, stale, and been discussed to death. Rey is a Mary Sue and Luke isn't - don't @ me 'cause you're not going to change my mind or anyone else who believes this and vice versa. It is what it is, move on.

"I'm bored that you're having a conversation I don't agree with." Yeah, you're more than entitled to believe that, but you catch more flies with honey, etc.

Mandalorian looks rad.

Game Of Thrones showrunners SW trilogy is cancelled -

I'm sure it had nothing to do with that Q&A where they admitted to conning HBO and using the most expensive TV show in history as a "film school" because they knew absolutely nothing about producing, let alone running, a show; where they confessed to actively refusing to have a writers' room or allowing PoCs and women into their writing process, and to having no interest in or understanding of the material they were adapting.

It was 100% to focus on their Netflix deal. That wasn't an excuse to save face.

Last edited:
"I'm bored that you're having a conversation I don't agree with." Yeah, you're more than entitled to believe that, but you catch more flies with honey, etc.
Thanks for figuratively putting words in my mouth. That's not what I meant at all. So, nah, you can keep your advice and your condescension.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with that Q&A where they admitted to conning HBO and using the most expensive TV show in history as a "film school" because they knew avsolutely nothing about producing, let alone running, a show; where they confessed to actively refusing to have a writers' room or allowing PoCs and women into their writing process, and to having no interest in or understanding of the material they were adapting.

It was 100% to focus on their Netflix deal. That wasn't an excuse to save face.
I suspect it had more to do with the outline/work they were doing that didn't meet the approval of Disney. Keep in mind that it was announced not too long ago that Feige was developing his own SW project. Whether this was because B&W's project was trash so they courted Feige or perhaps Feige was already on board and his project was just more compelling so B&W were fired. Maybe they're not related at all, but that Q&A certainly didn't do them any favors.

I'd also like to know how the Netflix deal fits in to this whole mess - specifically when and how it came to be. In any event, I think Netflix overpaid them - by a lot, which seems more evident now. Wonder if Netflix is having any buyer's remorse? I was excited to see B&W as opposed to Johnson helming a SW trilogy, but revelations over the past year including that Q&A really dampened that feeling. Maybe Disney should just extend the movie break to 5 years, get their house in order, and focus solely on the TV shows for now.

I think Rey and her accomplishments would be easily accepted if she existed in connection to the other characters. As it is, you could remove everyone except maybe Kylo Ren and Rey would be Rey, doing Rey things. She's great, and awesome, and absolutely and totally disconnected from every other character.
Unsurprisingly, I disagree.

Even if you put aside the fact that being a loner is an essential part of Rey's identity, Rey has profound connections with other characters developed and shown onscreen, not just to Kylo Ren (who she is literally "connected" to for the whole of TLJ) but also to Luke, Finn, BB-8, Chewy, Han and Leia. Especially Finn. Her connection to Finn is one of Finn's primary motivating factors. "Where's Rey?" is literally his first line in TLJ.

But whateves… like someone already said... everyone's mind is already made up on these topics and nobody is convincing anyone otherwise. I regard the "Mary Sue" critique of Rey to be an obvious double-standard, fueled mostly by sexism and/or clingy OT rose-coloured reverence/nostalgia. I haven't heard anything remotely persuasive to convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom