• Sith

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Unsurprisingly, I disagree.

Even if you put aside the fact that being a loner is an essential part of Rey's identity, Rey has profound connections with other characters developed and shown onscreen, not just to Kylo Ren (who she is literally "connected" to for the whole of TLJ) but also to Luke, Finn, BB-8, Chewy, Han and Leia. Especially Finn. Her connection to Finn is one of Finn's primary motivating factors. "Where's Rey?" is literally his first line in TLJ.

But whateves… like someone already said... everyone's mind is already made up on these topics and nobody is convincing anyone otherwise. I regard the "Mary Sue" critique of Rey to be an obvious double-standard, fueled mostly by sexism and/or clingy OT rose-coloured reverence/nostalgia. I haven't heard anything remotely persuasive to convince me otherwise.

Hell yeah, dude! I hate women. That must be it.

I don't like the OT either. :dunno: Really weird how your arguments don't work when you base them off of extrapolated assumptions of the people who hold the view you don't like.

FWIW, "Where's Rey?" isn't much of a demonstration of his loyalty and love of Rey when he goes to play with the horsies for 90% of the movie afterwards and gets reduced to a navel-gazing revelation for Rose.

Thanks for figuratively putting words in my mouth. That's not what I meant at all. So, nah, you can keep your advice and your condescension.

I don't think that that was an unfair statement. Why bother bringing up your opinion (and your refusal to change your mind) if all you wanted was for people to change the topic?

I'm sure it had nothing to do with that Q&A where they admitted to conning HBO and using the most expensive TV show in history as a "film school" because they knew absolutely nothing about producing, let alone running, a show; where they confessed to actively refusing to have a writers' room or allowing PoCs and women into their writing process, and to having no interest in or understanding of the material they were adapting.
Link pl0x. :eek:

I don't like the OT
:dubious: *checks the thread title to be sure he's in the right place*

:smug: Ohhh Kayyy... *slowly backs away* nostalgia isn't limited to the OT and it looks like a "mostly" was missed as well. But whateves, I guess you could say you don't have nostalgia for any of it cause you don't like the PT either... maybe you just don't like Star Wars? :dunno:

*checks the tread title again*

Last edited:
I don't think that that was an unfair statement. Why bother bringing up your opinion (and your refusal to change your mind) if all you wanted was for people to change the topic?
I do think it was. It's never a good idea to paraphrase a person with what you "think" they meant. My point wasn't that I disagreed, or agreed, with any particular view, but rather to illustrate that this topic has been debated and argued ad nauseam with both sides permanently polarized. I'd go so far to say it's toxic to the fandom, and I really hate using that word. There are so many interesting and positive things going on with SW currently that it is tiresome to see the same arguments occurring again and again. And, that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

‘Star Wars’: Inside ‘Game of Thrones’ Creators’ Exit and the Pressures Facing Lucasfilm (EXCLUSIVE)

Article at Variety about B&W's exit. It doesn't mention the recent Q&A as a reason, but kind of confirms my theory that Disney didn't like what they were doing. It also paints Disney as a restrictive overlord of the property making it difficult for "creative" & "talented" individuals to work on SW. I put those two adjectives in quotes because in my estimation it's debatable whether the named individuals who were fired really embody those traits.

Surprisingly I side with Disney on this. Even though I disagree with the direction of the property overall, the vast majority of fans (myself included) expect certain things from a SW movie. I think Disney grudgingly acknowledges this. It's fine if a director wants to get creative with the property eventually, but now certainly wasn't the time and certainly not with the Skywalker Saga movies (lookin' at you Rian). There needs to be consistency so all nine movies flow as one coherent story.

"Lucasfilm uses up Star Wars Directors quicker the Fleetwood Mac uses up Lead Guitarists.."
@JohannaK please confirm

So you favor burying the prequel trilogy and remaking them?
As somebody who's undergoing a Terminator marathon, if it's about undoing three bad movies' worth of footage I'll heartily recommend Jim Cameron for the job.

:dubious: *checks the thread title to be sure he's in the right place*

:smug: Ohhh Kayyy... *slowly backs away* nostalgia isn't limited to the OT and it looks like a "mostly" was missed as well. But whateves, I guess you could say you don't have nostalgia for any of it cause you don't like the PT either... maybe you just don't like Star Wars? :dunno:

*checks the tread title again*

Sommer, I thought you'd remember me. :( I've consumed most Star Wars media out there. The only exception are the comics. But I do readily admit my motivations are different from the meta.

Maybe it is that Star Wars media that has consumed you, and thus the Dark Side of the Force has grown strong in you.

So are you going to check out the final SW (for now) movie in Dec?

Are you excited and readying your laser sword, or avoiding it like a crap-coated zombie in an elevator?

Either way, please give your reasons and opinions on the much-anticipated SW finale.

emo-ren.png

Top Bottom