Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Hmmmm. So, at one point I liked 100% of the series content. And somehow it's my fault that the producers of the series started pumping out trash? By the way, I recognize that this offshoot of the conversation perhaps never should have happened, since the last SW related thing I've enjoyed isn't actually from 1983. I liked Rogue One a lot. I thought Solo was pretty good. While I'm not really sold on the current trilogy, I acknowledge it as a gigantic improvement over episodes 1-3.

Not your fault, no. And it's not even a bad thing that you only enjoy the "OG" Star Wars. (As you mention, though, this doesn't actually apply to you specifically.) It's just impossible to discuss recent titles with that in mind, since neither the PT nor the ST are from the OT generation and would never be like it even if that was the goal. The recycling of OT elements in the ST is one of its biggest failings, as they were meant to be used as a springboard for newer pastures and instead ended up leading us nowhere.

This gem springs to mind: "I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me." :cringe: That was a cringer...but he then goes on to say "My heart is beating...hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me...what can I do? I will do anything you ask." :cringe: :shake:

I actually liked EP 2, but that scene was tough to get through... the only thing that makes it watchable is Portman's epic, eye-popping outfit.
:lol: See, I don't even remember the outfit. I must have had my hands over my face. Maybe I'll Google it later.

:lol: See, I don't even remember the outfit. I must have had my hands over my face. Maybe I'll Google it later.
Got you covered:

Padme's wardrobe in the PT overall, and especially in EP 2 was among the best for any character in any of the films. All of her outfits in EP 2 were very well done, from the color palettes to the headwear, to the style/cut, and everything was always very scene appropriate. Great work on her wardrobe, definitely one of the highlights of the film. .

I can admit to not being clear, but the third paragraph I wrote was meant to read like "okay, these two paragraphs have been excessive, but bringing in yet another someone who has had nothing to do with development of this movie doesn't seem like such a good idea." You then proceeded to reply exclusively to the first two paragraphs, so I wasn't particularly pleased or amused that you ignored the most genuine bit of my post.

Why would they bring in George Lucas of all people? He's hardly the best thing about the franchise.
I'd go further: George Lucas is the worst thing that ever happened to the Star Wars franchise!

Spoiler :
;)

Fair enough. I didn't hate the PT, but the AotC love scenes were pretty dreadful.
Not jus tthat, there's big plot-holes e.g. the galaxy-wide famous queen emerita/princess/senatress not being detected by any facial recognition software ever, or a supposed elite assassin subcontracting the hit to somebody who can get close to the target but will then mysteriously neglect to, say, bring an explosive there, or battle droids being programmed to be complete idiots when superior AI is clearly available, or…

In spite of all that I still love Star Wars, which might be why I still have **** to give when Disney and others make a wreck of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As @Timsup2nothin points out, the OT was, at one point 100% of Star Wars. Now its a minority fraction, a tiny fraction even. So if the OT is all you really love, then you can't really assert that anyone is making a wreck of anything. We're way beyond that point and passed it pretty much with EP 3. At this point the "wreck" is Star Wars... if you don't like it, you don't like it, but Disney has had their hands in the pot since before Lucas actually sold to them. Disney Star Wars is Star Wars.

We started off with a lobster on the table. Maybe you (the royal you) liked lobster... but at this point we're up to a multi-table smorgasbord with 30 different entrees, plus sides, drinks, appetizers and deserts. You can't look at all that and complain that someone's ruining your lobster. It's not about the lobster anymore.

Last edited:
Not jus tthat, there's big plot-holes e.g. the galaxy-wide famous queen emerita/princess/senatress not being detected by any facial recognition software ever, or a supposed elite assassin subcontracting the hit to somebody who can get close to the target but will then mysteriously neglect to, say, bring an explosive there, or battle droids being programmed to be complete idiots when superior AI is clearly available, or…

In spite of all that I still love Star Wars, which might be why I still have **** to give when Disney and others make a wreck of it.

One difficulty that I acknowledge the makers of the PT for having to face is the technology issue. Looking at one example you specifically mention, I'm not really sure if, at the time the PT was made, facial recognition had reached the point where such a "plot hole" was obvious. It is certainly obvious now, and in 2019 any futuristic set movie really should take it into account in "well, by this time it is everywhere" fashion. But for the makers of the PT there's a dilemma: looking at the real world they have to say "our futuristic setting should certainly include ubiquitous facial recognition," but if they do include it how do they explain why such tech was apparently forgotten by episode four when Luke and the droids are rolling around Mos Eisley? Tough balancing act that.

Mos Eisley is a criminal haven where facial recognition would not be welcome. The rest of the Empire… well, suddenly in the same Ep. II they have all sorts of advanced software at the Jedi Library and what-not.

Also I'm not sure that the Empire would love to go around saying ‘hey, the plans for the Death Star are here somewhere’. Even putting a bounty on the droids would have made several interested parties take notice (leaving alone the retcon in Rogue One that meant it was really a yuge Imperial screwup due to internal rivalries).

It doesn't make it any less fun. :)

(edit: ‘it’ means both sci-fi and poking holes in it)

Hah, I suppose. I guess I just see it as being a one-way ticket to considering any sci-fi movie/book's premise to be bunk. For example: With drones and droids, there's no reason any of them had to do suicide runs at the trench, even with stupid AI. Just strap bombs to a hundred scrapyard droids and toss them at the thing. No need for accuracy, tell them to scoot on into the pipe before detonating.

But then we wouldn't have Luke finally embracing the Force, or the stakes, or the establishment of Vader being a pilot.

Well, yes, but given that Star Wars was a samurai-in-space film then clockwork automata like R2-D2 and C3PO can be expected. To a degree.

I watched Hidden Flrtress some time ago. The main difference is that the two peasants in it are both C3POs, and I cant thank Lucas enough for making one functionally mute. I wish 3PO had stayed dead in Bespin. He's insufferable.

One difficulty that I acknowledge the makers of the PT for having to face is the technology issue. Looking at one example you specifically mention, I'm not really sure if, at the time the PT was made, facial recognition had reached the point where such a "plot hole" was obvious. It is certainly obvious now, and in 2019 any futuristic set movie really should take it into account in "well, by this time it is everywhere" fashion. But for the makers of the PT there's a dilemma: looking at the real world they have to say "our futuristic setting should certainly include ubiquitous facial recognition," but if they do include it how do they explain why such tech was apparently forgotten by episode four when Luke and the droids are rolling around Mos Eisley? Tough balancing act that.
I always liked the fact that the PT seemed shinier, prettier and more technologically advanced than the OT. To me it sort of accidentally/conveniently highlighted that during the peak of the Old Republic, it was a Golden Age where everything actually was better, more prosperous, more advanced, whereas the reign of the Empire had brought on a Dark Age where everything more or less sucked, and overall advancement was halted, even regressed, in favor of conquest, oppression and building the ultimate superweapon. Its like in Civ 6 where when you are in a Golden Age, the colours are actually brighter and more vibrant, and everything looks better whereas when you are in a dark age everything looks duller and more run down.
I watched Hidden Flrtress some time ago. The main difference is that the two peasants in it are both C3POs, and I cant thank Lucas enough for making one functionally mute. I wish 3PO had stayed dead in Bespin. He's insufferable.
We need Threepio for the "golden god" scene with the Ewoks and the storytelling scene afterwards. Those two scenes are just indispensable. Especially the former for showing off how advanced and effortless, even Yoda-like, Luke's power has become, compared to how he struggled in EP 5... and also making a lighthearted commentary on the tension between unfamiliar technology/knowledge and the perception of the supernatural/divine (See Star Trek TNG "Who watches the Watchers"). But even the latter scene has great value in showing off how valuable an interpreter droid is and what "3000 forms of communication" gets you... even a race of ridiculous carebears on some random remote forest moon are no match for Threepios linguistic skills. More importantly... the scene showcases, much like the final "broomboi" scene in TLJ... what a universally appealing story Star Wars is... You don't even need to understand all the words to understand and connect to the story. It's heartwarming and fandom affirming.

Also... Threepio is Abbott to Artoo's Costello. You need both to have an effective comedy duo.

Last edited:
I mean yeah. He's core to the OT. I just wish it had ended there.

You know the "Han shot first" scene in episode IV? Well it has been altered yet again in the Disney+ version of the movie. Greedo has an extra line of dialogue just before he bites the dust where he says "Maclunkey". What it means or why it was added is unknown but it's really bizarre.

Here's a good comparison clip of the various changes. What's funny is that adding "maclunkey" to the 4K edition of ANH has been discussed almost as much as baby Yoda in The Mandalorian since D+ went online this morning.

I also noticed what looks like a Constable Zuvio cameo in The Mandalorian. Perhaps a bit of redemption for being almost completely cut out of TFA. :lol:

Spoiler :

Top Bottom