1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Jedi

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

That will have to go on my list. Didn't realize he wrote that!

Finished Shatterpoint after an ill-advised all-nighter. I liked how, almost every time I thought, "Wait, what about...", Stover promptly answered that question. He thought things through pretty well.

Kinda wish he'd gone into how Windu et al were planning on dealing with the fundamental issue that galactic demand for thyssel bark caused the Summertime War in the first place, but that's just a quibble. Altogether it's a great novel.

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

And this is where Star Wars loses me. I want to watch heroes fight with laser-swords and magic, with starfighters setting up torpedo runs on battleships firing broadsides at each other. Not discussions about trade policy.
    (This isn't directly at you, just a general thing about Star Wars.)

3. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

You say that like trade policy is a constant feature, and not the inciting incident of The Phantom Menace.

4. Phrossack

I think discussions like that have a place in books, not in movies, but this is a book I'm talking about. The ending was supposed to be, "The war's over on this planet now," but I'm left thinking it'll start all over again because at the end of the day the native people have something that the rest of the galaxy wants, and they're probably not all that willing or able to sell it without destroying their way of life. That's the whole reason there was a war in the first place!

The natives tear through the jungle and use its plants to feed their livestock, and the jungle grows back so they can sustain it. The colonists want to harvest the local plants, which grow nowhere else, to sell the exotic hardwoods and addictive substances they produce. These lifestyles are completely incompatible, which lead to a seasonal and savage war with such traditions as the mutilation of corpses and the collection of severed ears for necklaces. The book does a great job showing how both sides commit atrocities without being equal, yet Mace Windu never stops fighting to protect every life he can and uphold civilization. But ultimately, I had to wonder: what changes can one make to a situation like that to establish a lasting peace?

Genocidal hatreds, the promise of profits for one side against the need to survive for the other, and a huge power imbalance make for a very tricky situation. I'm not talking about Senate debates over the tariffs imposed on corporate interplanetary trade in a movie; I'm talking about how people can overcome greed and hatred on a large, systemic, societal scale - or whether they even can - summed up in maybe a paragraph or two in a book few fans will ever read. It would be especially poignant since this is basically a problem we're facing on Earth all the time.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Sounds a bit like Avatar (the film, not the series featuring Aang) meets Star Wars.

6. Phrossack

The pitch was just, "Apocalypse Now in space," so, kinda.

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

The overboard amount of trade policy discussions and parlimentary procedure was more the indictment of AotC not Phantom Menace.

8. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

I dont remember any of that in AotC. I'm great at blocking traumatic memories.

tjs282 and Sommerswerd like this.
  9. Sommerswerd

Now that you mention it, PM had its fair share of political discussions as well, its just that AotC had more scenes in the Senate chamber IIRC...

10. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Um, not really. There was only one scene in the Galactic Senate Chamber in AOTC - when Jar Jar proposes emergency powers for the Chancellor and Palpatine accepts creating the GAR to fight the Separatists. And, there was one scene in TPM - when Queen Amidala attempts to convince the Senate to intervene on behalf of the Naboo against the Trade Federation and their invasion. ROTS technically had the most at two - one, when Palpatine announces the formation of the Galactic Empire and two, when he fights Yoda.

As far as political discussions go, you could say all three prequels had an ample amount. It's hard to say which one really had the most though.

11. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Chieftain

Spoiler Some Mandalorian pics :

Thorvald of Lym and tjs282 like this.
  12. Sommerswerd

Just one scene each? Jeez, then whats all the whining about? :rolleyes: Star Wars fans are such complaining crybabies. :shake:

13. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Chieftain

14. Laurana Kanan

The company HighSpeedInternet.com clocked the social interactions to figure out which state is MOST obsessed with "Baby Yoda." Turns out it's my own state of Utah! :thumbsup:

15. Sommerswerd

I will put my political comment about this in the Clown Car thread :p

16. Laurana Kanan

17. Takhisis

I've been using my offline time to watch Star Wars in its internal chronological order.
    Prequel Trilogy | Rogue One | Original Trilogy | TFA
    Does anybody know why Disney refuses to release ANH and TLJ on even its own channels?

18. Sommerswerd

Beautiful money hahaha! :mwaha:

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  19. Takhisis

All right, walk me through this because my analogue week has turned me back to 20th-century standards.

How do they make money by not showing their films, i.e. not providing content?

20. Sommerswerd

Because then they can sell the DVD's/Blu Rays/boxed sets to people who want to have the whole collection.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.