1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Jedi

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I don't see how these two things have anything to do with one another. I follow several of the more prominent members on social media and youtube and they're definitely not "alt-right".
    This is just a lazy line of attack against those that have legitimate criticisms of the ST. There are plenty of women who count themselves as part of the Fandom Menace.
    ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    More new footage from TCW, including Clone Force 99 "The Bad Batch"! :eekdance: One more week to go!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Clubber Lang and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Well, he is such a good start that the rest become much harder to put a finger directly on. I didn't like much of anything about the prequel trilogy, but if someone asks what I didn't like about it the shadow cast by Jar Jar Binks can block my thinking almost completely.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Did you guys know that the actor who played Jar-Jar was given latitude in how to portray the character and chose to have the character reflect his Caribbean heritage and almost killed himself because of all the hate directed toward Jar-Jar?

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  4. Laurana Kanan

Oh, wow... :lol: :lol:

Sommerswerd and tjs282 like this.
  5. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

that was funny

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I dont know, I kind of perfer Palpatine's Journey.

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I just randomly came across this yesterday :lol:
    I'd heard all of that besides the killing himself part. But it made sense to me... as soon as I heard Jar Jar I thought it sounded like someone trying to invoke/riff West Indian accent/dialect

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Invoking your own heritage/dialect in a character that is being written as the idiot/dupe is probably never going to end well.

Thorvald of Lym and Sommerswerd like this.
  9. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Yeah there's a not very nice/derogatory slang name for the jackasses who do that.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

I knew about the latter part, but not about the portrayal being left up to him… what do films have directors for then?

11. GenMarshall

I also did not know about this as well. Though I always have known Jar Jar was the most loathed character in TPM.

12. Laurana Kanan

By older fans mostly. Many of the younger generation of fans who grew up with the PT tend to like Jar Jar. There's also quite the groundswell among collectors who are clamoring for a 6" Black Series Jar Jar.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I never quite understood all the Jar-Jar hate myself...it's a kid's movie and he's a character for kids.

14. GenMarshall

My memory is a bit fuzzy on this since I think the Jar Jar hate revolves around how obnoxious and annoying he was towards the older audience. I know Ewoks had the same treatment back in the 80s in Return of the Jedi.

There’s a bit of a sliding scale on Jar Jar. On one spectrum, you love him and his antics and on the other scale you loathe him.

15. Takhisis

I don't *hate* Jar-Jar Binks the character himself. In the way in which he was portrayed he was given too much importance and, believe it, he wasn't necessary to engage kids. I was hooked with Terminator 2 and the Star Wars original trilogy before The Phantom Menace came out. At the time I didn't mind that much because of all the coloured lights and so on. Upon rewatching (bless the neighbours who lent us their tape recorder, our unit was a reader-only device) a few thousand times Jar-Jar got old faster than I did.

Also it's a matter of implementation. Badly-directed over-the-top Caribbean comedy aside, the character took up too much space (seriously, Valorum played by Terence Stamp!!!) in Ep. I and then was practically deleted until they had a scene where they needed a patsy and somehow nobody saw through Jar Jar Binks, portrayed as borderline mentally ********, from Naboo, suddenly proposing the bill in the Senate that gives Chancellor Palpatine -from Naboo- all those useful perks… right after another representative from Naboo -the underaged queen- proposed the vote of no-confidence that opened a path for Senator Palpatine to become Chancellor… aaargh.

(and I blame Ahmed Best for none of it whatsoever)

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

A lot of people hate Jar-Jar because they forgot Star Wars is for kids, and he was a convenient scape-goat.

My fiancé didn't see a single Star War until about 2010, and consequently has no strong feelings about Binks one way or the other.

JohannaK and Synsensa like this.
  17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

As someone who was around for the original theater release of the first Star Wars movie I'm really perplexed at this "for kids" business. There was no indication in the marketing at the time that Star Wars was supposed to be a kids movie. None. And the first two sequels were certainly not marketed that way either.

18. Takhisis

Yeah, but Ewoks and Life Day.

GenMarshall likes this.
  19. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Yeah, I was talking about the prequel trilogy there but I agree that the original Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are not really kids' movies. Return of the Jedi is kinda borderline tho because of the Ewoks.

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yeah...I remember people being surprised and not particularly happy about the Ewoks also. In that era "kids movies" were predominantly animated, and throwing teddy bears into a live action feature was mostly deemed a cheap shot.