1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Jedi

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

George Lucas has always maintained that SW was meant for kids (even as recent as Celebration 2017). To suggest otherwise is to fundamentally misunderstand the meaning/purpose of the story. It's not that adults can't enjoy it, but everything surrounding the movies, particularly the marketing, has always been focused on children. I doubt very much that my love of SW would even exist today if my parents hadn't taken us kids to see the OT 40 years ago.

GenMarshall and Sommerswerd like this.
  2. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I suppose I should have qualified "for kids among others". The point is really that so most of the new material produced between 1983 and 1999, most of the "expanded universe", was intended for teenage and adult audiences, and fans of that material had come to view the original trilogy through that lens, so it came as a shock when they realised that Lucas didn't share that assumption.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

"I wasn't supposed to say it then..."

Because it conflicted with the marketing. It was certainly "a movie you can take your kids to," which is not the same thing as "a movie for kids" in terms of marketing. Not even close. Lucas may have had "a cockamamie idea" about making a big budget kids movie, but the studio that put up the money to make it and market it never saw it that way. It was only when desperate George trying to get a film made morphed into 900 pound gorilla George of SW fame and started having his way that they actually turned into kid's movies.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis spells laser with an s

Just because it is ‘watchable for kids’ doesn't mean that the kids should be treated as idiots. OK, there's not too much gore (laser sword-blades FTW), but… a long time ago George Lucas said that the rebels were a stand-in for the Viet Cong so guess who's the Empire then? War is no the stereotypical happy-peppy stuff for kids coated in a saccharine overdose.

Traitorfish likes this.
  5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

It's for kids. Quote "It's a film for 12 year olds" -- George Lucas

Laurana Kanan likes this.
  6. Laurana Kanan

Fwiw... 3/17 Digital, 3/31 Blu-Ray

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  7. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Which is the problem with Jar-Jar: he's for seven year olds, rather than twelve year olds.

Twelve years want desperately to feel grown up, and that's what the original trilogy delivered with almost perfect execution, a film that was accessible to a twelve year old but felt mature enough that they could continue to believe it was a grown-up film for decades. A goofy blundering fish-man makes it too obvious to both the twelve year old and the thirty-two year old that this might not be the case.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

That actually makes a whole lot of sense.

9. Takhisis

‘Greedo shot first’ -- George Lucas

IglooDude likes this.
  10. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

George Lucas and JK Rowling compete to see who can do more harm to the worlds they created.

11. Takhisis

I gave up on Harry Potter materials after the Cursed Child theatre play included specific instructions for Voldemort's regime having 1940s Nazi æsthetics. The First Order also going full-blown Nazi with General Hux's speech was not as bad, but seriously irksome.

12. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I recalled they took influence on the whole “what if the Nazis and the SS fled to South America in exile” stichk.

13. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

I did not end up rewatching Clone Wars so I went in cold for the first episode of the new season.

It was okay. That's about the most/best I can say about it.

14. Laurana Kanan

I was being quite ambitious trying to make it through all 121 episodes and the movie in less than a month. Only made it through 18. :lol: That said, we all absolutely loved the first episode of season 7, "The Bad Batch"! Even though it had already been released as a story reel almost 5 years ago, it was still great to see it finished with the new updated digital models. The story too had been changed a bit since it's original release so there were still a few surprises. So great seeing Cody, Rex, Jesse, & Kix again; and Clone Force 99 kicks butt! Overall it was an excellent start!
    ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    And, in other news...if you've been following the rumors concerning Project Luminous (i.e. The High Republic), this book cover unveiled today should be interesting to you.

15. Takhisis

Not at all. What's this?

16. GenMarshall

What era would this fall under since I'm getting Old Republic vibes. :D

17. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

Bad Batch/Force 99 Rock! Led by John J Rambo.

Spoiler :

A new era: High Republic

Spoiler :

18. Laurana Kanan

From the StarWars.com release:
    So technically Old Republic Era.

Official release video:

Sounding interesting until I saw Pablo Hidalgo and then my excitement tanked. :undecide: Some of the quotes that stood out to me: "publishing as an incubation place", "bring in great talent and let their imaginations run free", "diverse voices with different opinions about Star Wars", "We all love Star Wars, but are coming at it from different places." Sounds like a great recipe for a disjointed mess that'll end up further destroying the mythology of Star Wars. So, basically a continuation of the Sequel Trilogy.

Also, the main villain is a group of Vikings-in-space called the Nihil. :rolleyes: At this point it just looks like a cheap ripoff of The New Jedi Order series. The character designs of the Nihil look so goofy compared to the Yuuzhan Vong who were really terrifiying in many ways.

Wish they had just done post-ST stories and left everything else alone. I really have little faith in Lucasfilm/Disney especially after the ST mess, the cancellation/delay of both the Obi-Wan and now the Cassian Andor series, and really most of the published novel and comic drivel. The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars have really been the only bright spots in years.
    Edit: Lol, Ninja'd :ninja:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  19. GenMarshall

I just watched Shawn’s video on The Last Jedi and im debating if I should watch TFA and TLJ again with a new set of eyes and a mind free from the cloud of antiSJWism? On that note is it worth it now to watch The Rise of Skywalker or wait until it comes on a streaming service?

20. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Are theatres still showing it there? It gets released next month, and presumably it'll be live on Disney+ at the same time.