Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Andrew Jack, who played Major Emmat in SW Eps. VII and VIII, died of Covid-19 aged 76.

Finally watched The Mandalorian all episodes... superb. :goodjob:

Star Wars is alive and kickin' baby, Disney and all... :p

I will also point out that I spent a couple minutes looking for the "What Shows Have You Watched" thread to post this... before remembering, duh! we have a Star Wars thread :blush:

I will also point out that I spent a couple minutes looking for the "What Shows Have You Watched" thread to post this... before remembering, duh! we have a Star Wars thread :blush:
That . . . is why you fail.

Finally watched The Mandalorian all episodes... superb. :goodjob:

Star Wars is alive and kickin' baby, Disney and all... :p

I just came to post this and you beat me to it. They really got it right with this show. It's still too fan service-y and a little schmaltzy at the end for my taste, but hey, this is the Disney Channel. It's just nice to have a logically streamlined story and characters to root for. This is the way the Empire needs to follow if it wants to keep this property financially viable in the 2020s.

I'm not sure about the expectations, Sommerswerd. I more or less liked TFA and was surprised by Rogue One being better. And then TLJ happened with all its painfully obvious meddling by the producers and I missed out on the Solo film and then for Ep. IX I went in with absolutely low expectations so it more or less held up, but just thereabouts.

Well, expectations should be leveled out for whatever they do next. 7,8 & 9 had the burden of ending the Skywalker Saga *resonant echo*. They didn't turn out to be up to that burden. But maybe nothing could be.* Going forward, they can establish whatever new overall storyline they want, and people will be able to just take it for whatever new thing it is.

It has occurred to me, though, that they'll probably at some point do a Rogue One-like one-off on Rey's parents heroically trying to keep her hidden from Palpatine.

*except, say, a story where Snoke was actually Plagueis, you see, and Anakin had been generated by a Force-counter-reaction to Plagueis' messing with coming back from the dead and . . .

*except, say, a story where Snoke was actually Plagueis, you see, and Anakin had been generated by a Force-counter-reaction to Plagueis' messing with coming back from the dead and . . .
You mean ripping off the discontinued EU? :mischief:

I don't know the EU

I just came to post this and you beat me to it. They really got it right with this show. It's still too fan service-y and a little schmaltzy at the end for my taste, but hey, this is the Disney Channel. It's just nice to have a logically streamlined story and characters to root for. This is the way the Empire needs to follow if it wants to keep this property financially viable in the 2020s.
I've increasingly come to believe that Star Wars is at its best when it's allowed to play sandbox with the universe.

How is it that they get stuff other than the numbered mainline films to be from regular to good?
I think the problem is that "Star Wars" has become a genre in itself, or the film-makers believe it has, so more imagination and energy is expended making sure it fits the structure and beats of a Star Wars film, rather than in telling a story that deserves to exist on its own merit.

When they're making something outside of the main series, they're allowed to just make a war story or a Western, even a conspiracy thriller, and "Star Wars" is allowed to serve as a setting. Even Solo, which was a weak film in a lot of ways, was at least weak mostly on its own terms, as a generic coming-of-age adventure story in Star Wars cosplay, and could be enjoyed on that level. Rise was a weak film because it broke down under the weight of its own self-conscious inheritance, of the self-imposed necessity to create Star Wars-y scene and set pieces, and never ends up doing or saying anything that needed done or said.

(Except for Babu Frik, who represents the aesthetic, thematic and, indeed, moral culmination of the entire Star Wars franchise.)

Ah, yeah, he was the scene-stealer in that movie.

I think the problem is that "Star Wars" has become a genre in itself, or the film-makers believe it has,
I think you're on to something. It's a setting but they think it is a genre, or maybe they want it to be a genre.

all about stealing it from George Lucas and making sure it is known that it was done so . While he didn't do everything in it , Lucas like invented CGI and he used it around . Vader and Luke electrocuted to the bone by Palpatine and Force Lightning , you can see the same effect in every movie of the day , Howard the Duck and stuff . So , Abrams has his untidy beam from the Romulan mining ship in nuTrek ; it will be Kylo Ren's lightsaber . There is no need to discuss what he will do with it , when there is the whole media to tell it is much cooler with its tiny little side beams and we must grow . Star Wars fans are idiots , ı know , because am both but we can sense we are being laughed at . Finn could have been a tremendous thing , a completition , the black lead Lucas would have in 1977 , but even the actor is all about who lays the pipes . All about defiying and rejecting a legacy , in some big pointless talking and nobody at "Disney" is shedding any tears about it . Yes , it is going to be a thing that hurts .

Even Solo, which was a weak film in a lot of ways, was at least weak mostly on its own terms, as a generic coming-of-age adventure story in Star Wars cosplay, and could be enjoyed on that level.
After it transpired that we only had access to the first 3 eps of The Mandalorian (either because Disney+ has only just started up here, and the other eps haven't been localised yet, or — possibly more likely — because we're on the free trial), we watched Solo yesterday evening instead. And I have to agree with this assessment. It was a fun film, and it certainly wasn't poorly made/scripted. But it also wasn't really a necessary film, in the sense that it showed us anything that we didn't already know (or could guess) about the character.

Top Bottom