1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Jedi

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

It might have been a hamfisted hint to the fact that the stormtroopers were later aiming to shoot at everything but the rebels so that their escape would be believable. Leia doesn't buy it.

2. r16

r16 not deity

also they would still fail to get into Millennium Falcon if Kenobi had not faced off with Darth Vader , and like ı totally ignore Death Star but like wasn't it designed to have thousands of TlE's on it , too ? Naturally using hindsight and stuff because good people in movies have always shot good and baddies have always shot bad ... The guy who starred in this Turkish Star Wars thing ? He can down three people at once with the three arrows he looses simultaneously , and ı shout "Disgrace!" if he is ever killed before shot at least 10 or 20 times . Nobody really expected A New Hope would be like famous 40 years later , if it had been forseen , there would have been preparations !

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Yeah I always forget about that... it was a pretty diabolical trick to let Han, Luke, Leia and Chewy collectively kill like 100 stormtroopers to make them think that they had escaped by the skin of their teeth, just so they could track them to the Rebel base... and by "diabolical" I mean incredibly stupid. If the stormtroopers had just kept their backs turned the whole time and just let them sneak off the Death Star without any shooting... Han and Co., were gonna do what? Say "Hey! Wait a minute! This is too easy! They're tracking us! Forget this we're not leaving, let's turn around and go back to the Death Star! :nope: I mean Leia was 100% sure that the fix was in but she still allowed Han to lead the Empire back to the base... Plus the Death Star ended up getting pwned by Luke... so the ruse actually didn't work... or matter. If anything the Empire fell into Leia's trap, because she was fully aware they were being tracked and intentionally led them back to the base where the X-Wing assault squadron was waiting for them.

Plus... why did they let all of them escape? I mean sure, for the trap to work, Leia had to escape, along with R2, and Han to pilot the ship, but what about Threepio? Chewy? Luke? I mean even assuming that the Emperor knew all along who Luke was, (which the OT implies he didn't), the Emperor wanted Luke dead until Vader talked him out of it. So either they thought Luke was just some rando Rebel trying to rescue the Princess, in which case the stormtroopers obviously should have killed him on sight... or the Emperor knew he was the chosen one destined to destroy them, in which case the stormtroopers should have killed him on sight. In fact, killing Chewy and/or Luke would have made the escape seem more believable. So there is absolutely no justification for them not killing Luke, Chewy and Threepio under the "Oh it was all part of the master plan to find the Rebel base" excuse. Its just a stupid plot hole to paper over the characters' absurd plot armor.

I'll add for good measure that if TLJ did something like that, the wails of "Bad writing!", "Sloppy storytelling!", "Lazy plot development!" "Awful plot holes!" and so on would be so loud you could hear them across the galaxy.

4. r16

r16 not deity

ah yes , am quite willing to be involved . Darth Vader is the only one halfway smart in the lmperial ranks at that moment , especially in view of the later developments . Unless of course one wishes to ignore them . Vader gets Kenobi out of the game , at least he thinks so . Not many Jedi left , there is going to be a Jedi to face the Sith , that's the way of the Force . You know , highly probable the good guys have been forced to adopt the rule of two thing . Kenobi , the master out , the apprentice far too weak ... lt will be so , because Vader knows he can't defeat Palpatine , he doesn't expect the Jedi would ever be up to that . Which we saw . Me , in 86 or 87 , video cassette at school . So , the act of killing Kenobi and he would be dead if the footage was not exposed by the British crew because Lucas had looked at the Lord of the Rings very much and very well but would not copy it . That's the heart trouble part . So , Tarkin flush with victory of the greatest ever power amassed in the history of the Galaxy , maybe falls for Vader's machinations or whatever . Vader as a Sith is required to kill his master , once Palpatine moves into the Death Star there is no power or whatever that can touch him , the Death Star must go . The basic premise of the current Thrawn series is the blue guy gives up his position back home to serve the Emperor so well that -maybe- he will convince the Emperor to give up the project totally . Because the new Yuuz Vong (those cretins of the old EU replaced by mind controllers or whatever) might capture one ... to blow the Empire up , planet by planet . Never minding the Chiss . And what makes you think Vader wouldn't be aware of Leia Organa or the crew Kenobi would have assembled to help the Rebels in the coming fight ? See , everyone of them might do good and useful stuff for his designs , right ? And yeah , he didn't recognize R2-D2 or the protocol droid he left back at home ?

otherwise , it was the thing those days . Star Wars was a feel good thing , it was a 30s show done with 70s tech , it really tried to avoid realism and it was real uphill as it was . ı do have an electronic magazine with a reprint of an article written right after the Empire . The critic didn't like it , or that there would be a new movie in 3 years time . He says the movie (and the saga) should have ended with the Rebels escaping successfully from Hoth ... Yeah , he is a Brit , too and again ...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  5. Takhisis

The Last Jedi was good, Sommerswerd. Except for that bit where they made Leia float in space.

Which actually brings me to a thing…
    <digression>I was watching the bavarian Munchkins face the Force Ghosts of the Barcelona football team last Friday (on Disney-owned ESPN) and I got bombarded with ads disguised as ‘commentary’ for how just in time for the summer (southern hemisphere) Disney+ will finally be arriving here, whoop-de-do. I was suddenly struck by the sterility of soulless football being played just for TV on a Disney-owned channel, a competition that should have been cancelled because players are getting infected even as we speak and there was -believe it or not- a spectator track culled from earlier matches.
    That's right, Disney-owned ESPN used canned audience tracks for a live football match as if it were one of their own live-action productions.
    I don't have much hope for SW like this, not with the way they massacred this sequel trilogy.</digression>

That aside, as for your analysis of ANH: yes! it's quite contradictory space opera. Remember that it was reassembled, re-cut and repurposed from Lucas' completely different original cut, so those are, frankly, to be expected. Richard Marquand and especially Irwin Kershner were far better directors for Star Wars.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  6. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Ironically it was an article on tennis, but it's suggested they do it for the sake of the players because the lack of feedback might actually psych them out.

7. Takhisis

And yet it is a routine punishment for teams to play behind closed doors.

8. r16

r16 not deity

some talk on Darth Vader comics ! lf anything happens to Padmé's handmaidens , to Marvel , ı promise doom and destruction .

9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Discovered this guy's YT channel a couple weeks back after watching a fan film that he scored. He has some really amazing orchestrations of different SW themes (among other properties). If you like orchestral music as much as me, it's worth a listen.

Samuel Kim Music - https://www.youtube.com/c/samuelkimmusic/videos

Here's the latest composition he's uploaded:

I also really enjoyed his Medieval style, for example:

I also love the artwork he's used in the videos by Jake Bartok. Two of my favs:

Sommerswerd, tjs282 and Clubber Lang like this.
  10. Laurana Kanan

Hate to double post, but gawd this is one of the most beautiful SW orchestral mixes I've heard. It's been on a loop for three days now.

Clubber Lang, Synsensa and tjs282 like this.
  11. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

I like the lil piece with the piano that starts around @3:18 in the mix.

Sad Imperial March

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Laurana Kanan likes this.
  12. Laurana Kanan

Indeed, I tear up every time it gets to that part. Such a beautiful piece of music. It's astounding that something representing such a dark, authoritarian theme, could in a different context emote such sorrow, pain, and suffering.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  13. r16

r16 not deity

ILM01.jpg
    Run, you fools! Said Obi Wan the Gray . Could have been filmed instead of what we know . The chest wounds leading to blood would have been Balrog mocking him before his death and is possible because lightsabers work with a forcefield like inside the blade that twists the particle moving outwards back to inwards to meet a similar "mirror" inside the hilt , keeping the flow without energy loss and quickly boosting it after expenditure , say going into half a meter of steel hull , travelling wave tube like . That was big when ı was young , but ı have no idea how it works and stuff . Visibly seen as Vader rifles the robes of Kenobi lying on the floor . You know , after he turned knobs of his saber into the training lightsaber mode . Hurts a lot but doesn't kill and stuff . Though maybe telekinesis was indeed set aside for the Empire Strikes Back or whatever

14. Laurana Kanan

15. Laurana Kanan

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I guess Disney is never going to release The Mandalorian on DVD so I won't get to watch it. I've been waiting for it to release on DVD like every other show but it's been over a year and there is still no release date so I guess it ain't happening.

I get around having a prescription for most streaming services by having a subscription to Netflix-by-mail - almost all shows eventually release on DVD regardless of what streaming platform they started on and then I get them through the mail with Netflix. It sucks that there's a long wait time but I just can't justify multiple subscriptions for a single show on each service.

17. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Yeah, Disney+ isn't really worth having consistently. I had it for the first season of The Mandalorian and that's it. All their other stuff has been delayed.

I might get it again for the second season, just so I can keep up with discussion here and on Reddit. And to do a re-watch of the movies. (I still haven't re-watched RotS [wait a second, this acronym doesn't work, fffff].)

I don't think Disney is going to get into the habit of DVDs for their series for a while. They really want to push people onto the streaming service.

ETA: I'm a dumb-dumb and thought it was Rise of the Skywalker. Nope. It's TRoS, The Rise of Skywalker.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Speaking of The Rise of Skywalker, Daisy and John have started doing interviews about their time working on the sequels. It is... not good.

We used to be called salty for having such a strong resistance to the way the sequels were handled, so it is a little heartening to see the leads share the exact same opinion. But also super disappointing. A better product would have been so easy to put together and they really, truly dropped the ball in almost every way. Since we care about canon, even if it's to hate it, it's sad to see and know that anything in the future has to either take these failures under consideration or outright retcon them.

Thorvald of Lym and hobbsyoyo like this.
  19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Daisy has said they had no idea or plan for who here parents were going to be up until they were shooting the movie. At one point she was supposed to be Obi Won's kid but then it changed again and again. It's sad that such a major franchise got the Lost treatment of the writers trying to figure it out on the fly.

Boyega has come out and said that the way his character was treated was pretty racist and I agree, though I think it was more a case of unintentional racism rather than deliberate. Basically his complaint is he was billed as this huge character which was a Big Deal (tm) as the first black main character but then they completely dropped the ball and stopped developing him as a character altogether. By the third movie he was just there, without a real purpose or character development, and basically even stopped being a part of the main cast in favor of Kylo.

I doubt the writers thought, I hate this black character, let's demote him, so they weren't deliberately racist. It was more likely a case of them not know what the hell they were doing (like with Daisy's parentage) but because his character is black and he was the first main black character, the way they handled him was therefore racist. Still very bad though.

Now whoever put together the Chinese posters for the movies (which demoted or removed Boyega entirely) definitely was intentionally racist af.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  20. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

It's like Abrams was writing the movie.... Oh wait, he was.
    The man fundamentally does not know how to tell a story. (Specifically, he cannot write an ending.)