Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Someone mentioned the music...

Link to video.

The greatest movie theme in history? Certainly a contender, although I could go on all day about good ones ("Theme From Shaft"; "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"; "Halloween"; "Raiders of the Lost Ark").

Link to video.

Whoever is doing the score for Episode VII certainly has a mountain to climb. Oh wait, it's John Williams. :)

Another view of the Stormtrooper helmet.

Yes, the Ewoks are annoying, but all of the scenes between Luke and Vader are magnificent. The scene in the corridor where Vader tells Luke it's too late for him somehow manages to wring real depth and emotion out of an expressionless plastic mask. The culminating duel is classic cinema. The whole thing is just the greatest ending in film.
Yeah this scene is what I thought of when comparing it to EP3 and it makes the claim that E3 is better really hard to stomach. But I don't know, the whole package of EP4 and EP5 just made a way more enjoyable expression with me.
People who get annoyed about Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks and so on have to remember: these are essentially children's films and they contain characters meant to appeal to children.
Perhaps, but clearly there is appealing to children and appealing to children.
UP is a children's movie. Tory Story is a children's movie. But they also appeal to adults. Because they are very good children's movies by an adult's criteria which did not settle with utmost primitive attempts to appeal to children like a Jar Jar Binks. Nor did EP4 and EP5. Even if they aren't as clever as Toy Story.
That said, I do not even terribly hate the Ewoks. Jar Jar though really was a bit much.
But overall it seems to me that much of people's attitude to them comes not so much from the films as from the massive cultural impact they had at the time. A generation grew up being told by the media, by advertisers, and by the whole toy industry that Star Wars was the greatest story ever told, and they believed it.
I have to disagree. I mean surely this myth-creation about Star Wars has some role to play. Couldn't be any different. But there is just simply nothing like Star Wars out there. It is one of a kind, unique in many ways. We can say well this resembles that or this resembles that - but the whole package, atmosphere, idea of this movies series is totally unparalleled. It is childish. I agree. It also is of an epic scale as nothing else. It combines the innocent bliss of childhood with a story playing in a brutal and absolutely fantastical adult world. Or something like that.
Someone mentioned the music...

Link to video.

The greatest movie theme in history?
I fully expect to get goose pumps when the intro theme starts playing in the movie theater and the new episode starts. Yep I am starting to get a bit psyched about this.

I fully expect to get goose pumps when the intro theme starts playing in the movie theater and the new episode starts. Yep I am starting to get a bit psyched about this.
One of the many things I can't remember about the prequel trilogy is whether they used the classic theme music. I hope the new movies do, anyway.

I think it's perfectly valid to say that you're a fan of Star Wars even though you can't remember the prequels 10-15 years later. :lol:

Luke Skywalker meets The Joker at a fan event last Spring:

Link to video.

I much preferred the Imperial storylines in TOR than the Republic ones. Then again, I'm in the camp that thinks it's almost a waste of time to play in a SW RPG without having Force powers of some description.

Bounty Hunter > Knight > Agent > Inquisitor > Warrior > Consular

Didn't play enough of the other two to have an opinion on their storylines.

Bounty Hunter > Knight > Agent > Inquisitor > Warrior > Consular

Didn't play enough of the other two to have an opinion on their storylines.

The BH story was indeed good, but it didn't seem to mesh at all with the non-class specific world stories. I'm busy being a bounty hunter, then, in my spare time, I'm single handedly conquering planets for the Empire....:crazyeye:

As for the Jedi vs. Sith...well....

I tried the second Star Wars MMO for a bit, but I was totally burned out on MMOs by that point, so I didn't stick with it for long. Knights of the Old Republic was a great game, though. It was one of the few things that made buying an XBox worthwhile, imo.

Query....

<bhsup> Okay, here's the thing. Dark side baddies are always shown as wielding tremendous power.
<bhsup> But Yoda basically just absorbs that <stuff> and makes some snarky remark about them having a lot to learn.
<bhsup> So it is my guess that the light side of the force actually has the potential for greater "power" than the dark side, but it's a hell of a lot more of a <pain> to master and get to that level, whereas with the dark side, you attain massive power easier, but it'll never quite match what a TRUE master of the light side can do.
<bhsup> And I was just wanting a guru's take on that.

Thank you in advance.

That's exactly how calling on the Force was modelled in the d20/RCR Star Wars RPG by WotC. The Dark Side became more powerful, much more quickly, but then tapered out and was eventually exceeded by the Light Side.

Huh, okay, glad to see I wasn't off base there. Now for my second query. How in the blue blazes does a droid general suffer from COPD?

Are we talking about General Grievous? If so, I believe he's supposed to be an almost-full-conversion cyborg, so his lungs and heart might well be the last organic stuff he has left.

Query....

<bhsup> Okay, here's the thing. Dark side baddies are always shown as wielding tremendous power.
<bhsup> But Yoda basically just absorbs that <stuff> and makes some snarky remark about them having a lot to learn.
<bhsup> So it is my guess that the light side of the force actually has the potential for greater "power" than the dark side, but it's a hell of a lot more of a <pain> to master and get to that level, whereas with the dark side, you attain massive power easier, but it'll never quite match what a TRUE master of the light side can do.
<bhsup> And I was just wanting a guru's take on that.

Thank you in advance.
The powerful Jedi become one with the Force when they die. They're basically immortal.

Are we talking about General Grievous? If so, I believe he's supposed to be an almost-full-conversion cyborg, so his lungs and heart might well be the last organic stuff he has left.
His heart, lungs, eyes, and I believe his brain.

Specifically, he had his chest partially collapsed by Mace Windu during the kidnapping of Chancellor Palpatine in Tartakovsky's "Clone Wars" animated TV show (not the more recent CGI "Clone Wars").

I had already seen that episode before seeing Revenge of the Sith, so I understood who Grievous was, why he was wheezing, and why the hell Palpatine was "prisoner." It was a mistake to put that all in a kid's cartoon show few viewers would have seen, summarize it in the opening crawl, and expect the audience not to be a little lost.

I watched both parts of that. I agreed with a lot of it.

Top Bottom