1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

30 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Jedi

44 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm not looking for innovation, I'm looking for well told stories. Re-telling a story that has already been told 2,000 times only works well when you put some sort of a fun spin on it that hasn't been done before. But when you do the exact same thing that's already been done, yawn.

I get all the callbacks, but they get boring quick. I like these things as occasional "ooh wow what did we just see, was that a chewbacca dance off??" instead of having an entire episode relying on these things to drive what's on screen. That's my main issue with these episodes, they're not especially strong from a storytelling pov. It's like they took the basic idea for the episode and did not expand on it a bit. These episodes seem incredibly basic to me. Take away all the action scenes and the "look at this SW thing!" throwbacks and there isn't really much there.. aside from a small amount of character development, which I see as the only redeeming quality of these filler eps. But there really isn't that much really, so yeah, I get bored

Then again, most Star Wars fans seem to be enthralled by seeing all these callbacks to old movies and shows and what not, so clearly these episodes aren't written for people like me. I like the overarching Mandalorian story because it's involved and it's actually a well set up story. These filler episodes just stray from that way too much for me, and like I said I don't care that much to see yoda baking a cake or whatever they'll think to show us next to convince us that we are indeed actually yes, in the Star Wars universe, you see.

2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Hey, if you're not into it, you're not into it. :dunno: I liked the first and third episodes this season, and I liked the whole first season, including the episode you mentioned with the bandits who had the AT-ST. I guess I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I can certainly relate to finding the latest "Big Thing" to be less than enthralling. I tried watching Westworld when people were raving about it and, among other things, I thought the show's whole premise was tired. To some degree, that's the damage wreaked by The Hype Train. It's why I sprinted to at least start watching The Queen's Gambit last week; I could hear the rumble coming up behind me.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I just dislike the huge disconnect between the episodes that appeal to me and these "throw away" episodes that just have fan service sprinkled throughout to get people excited and are just a re-hashing of a story already told many times before. I want to keep watching to see what happens with the main story, but just wish they would improve these standalone eps. They just don't seem to put much effort into writing compelling stories around these episodes, they just take the existing trope and that's it.. In contrast they seem to spend a decent amount of time crafting the main storyline properly. I wouldn't mind these standalones if they were written with the same depth and passion as the other ones.

But I mean, as a fan, what can I do but keep watching and hope that things improve, right? and like I said I enjoy the main storyline episodes enough to keep watching for now. It seems like the people in charge should look to what Star Trek is doing with standalone eps - they've been doing it for decades and have the formula worked out. (and it doesn't rely on fan service at all)

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I've been wanting to watch Star Trek: Discovery, but haven't gotten around to it yet. CBS is doing The Stand next month, so I think I'll get All Access for a month and watch that, plus Discovery and The Good Fight.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I like the new season of Discovery quite a bit, although it is by no means perfect. There's also all sorts of opinions circulating about it, so it's not easy to predict what you'd think of the show. I for instance thought season 1 was alright (had to watch the first 5 eps twice before I got into it), season 2 was a bit worse (some compelling storylines but the pacing is too insane), and season 3 is a nice change of pace and a lot more like classic trek than anything we've seen in a while, IMO. Meanwhile most fans (from what I've seen) prefer season 2 over season 1, and opinions can differ wildely on season 3 as well. I've read everything from: "Best Trek ever" to "Worst Trek ever".. which I suppose is rather predictable given that we're dealing with Star Trek fans.. but it seems that it's possible to take in this show in various ways. Your mileage might vary depending on your initial expectations. I went in not knowing anything about the show. I also don't read or watch spoilers or "next week on" previews. So I go in blind into every episode, although I might have accidentally read something about the episode here and there. I would recommend this approach, as I find going into expectations with a new Trek show will probably leave you frustrated at some point or other.

Are there any more Star Wars live action TV shows in the works? I wouldn't mind watching something like the Mandalorian, but it's centered about some Jedi and set in some time we've never seen on screen yet. That would be fun.

6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Supposedly they're working on a series featuring Cassian Andor/Diego Luna from Rogue One, another featuring Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan Kenobi that's supposed to start filming in the Spring, and another series about Lando Calrissian that may have both Billy Dee Williams and Donald Glover. Some people think the brief glimpse of a character at the end of episode 201 of The Mandalorian hints at yet another series...

Mild spoiler for episode 201 of The Mandalorian:
    Spoiler :
    ...a Boba Fett show with Temuera Morrison.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Oh yeah, I remember them talking about the Kenobi show. That would be interesting, but what stories can really be told from that time? It seems like they'll have to get creative with their storytelling to make "guy stuck on desert planet for 40 years" be compelling enough. And I mean, Ewan McGregor can do it, but I just hope they don't have him flying all across the cosmos getting involved in all sorts of business he should not be involved in..

8. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

Ep04 - The Siege The Cookie Monster

Admiral Jeff -

--------

Laurana Kanan likes this.
  9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Ha! Never even noticed Admiral Jeff Blue-Jeans and we watch on a 75" screen. Had to go back and look and sure enough there he is. :lol:

Ahsoka will likely be introduced in the next episode since Filoni is directing and it's his only one this season. Also, I believe the title is "The Jedi". :think:

Clubber Lang likes this.
  10. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I hear people are starting a web campaign to get Gina Carano kicked off the show. :undecide:

That aside, Jeff Blue-Jeans is such a metaphor for Ep. IX… sure, it went so fast you didn't have time to think the plot holes through, but once you do then BAM! you can neither rewatch nor unwatch.

EgonSpengler and Laurana Kanan like this.
  11. Laurana Kanan

The Cassian Andor series was reportedly set to start filming as early as this month, but afaik there's not been an update yet. The Obi-Wan limited series (it's only supposed to be 6 episodes iirc) is slated to start filming in March. Any other shows are just speculation/rumor at this point. While not live action, the Bad Batch series is in production and should be released sometime in 2021.
    Haha, great point! :lol:
    Some disgruntled "Karens" raising a fuss for no good reason. I'd be surprised if even 10% actually watch the show. There's overwhelming support for Gina in the various fan forums. Disney et al. should just ignore these losers.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    EgonSpengler likes this.
  12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Why do they hate her? Is it her oddly shaped crotch? Cancel culture is stupid

13. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

Maybe that's what she will tell Mando or unless things have changed since.

-------------------

Episode 5 plot leak?

Spoiler :

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Oh man I'm glad I'm not involved in Star Wars fandom aside from the subreddit. Where do these morons come from? I hope the studio does the exact opposite of what they want.

15. Laurana Kanan

@Clubber Lang - Of course you're free to post whatever you'd like, but I'm really disappointed you chose to give oxygen to this junk position. Idk where that article came from or who wrote it, but it is extremely misleading. I follow Gina on social media and am active in several SW forums and I can tell you the author's position is highly skewed and inaccurate in regards to the overwhelming number of fans. Trying to get someone fired from their job because they have a differing opinion is a disgusting aspect of a nefarious cancel culture.

16. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

^Warpus wanted to know what all the Gina fuss was about, that just happened to be one of the latest articles on it.
    Deleted, oxygen deprived.

News outlets are starting to contact Disney about this drama now (#FireGinaCarano) and pushing for an offiical reply.

--------------------

Mando season 2 remaining air dates:

The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode 5: Chapter 13

Air date: 11/27/20

The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode 6: Chapter 14
    Air date: 12/4/20

The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode 7: Chapter 15

Air date: 12/11/20

The Mandalorian Season 2 Episode 8: Chapter 16
    Air date: 12/18/20

Laurana Kanan likes this.
  17. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

Anyone spot the IG-11 tribute statue?

18. Laurana Kanan

:yup:

19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Dunno if anyone else here watches Downton Abbey, but I found the charity video some of the cast members made, to solicit donations for some cause I don't remember.

The character playing the Jedi is Bates, who is the valet to Lord Grantham. The one playing the Sith is Thomas, a footman who has long coveted the job of valet to Lord Grantham, and the two hate each other. Bates usually walks with a cane.

The blond woman is Anna, Bates' wife. She starts as one of the housemaids and eventually becomes Lady Mary's lady's maid. Lady Mary is the woman sitting on the bench (note the Princess Leia hairdo), rambling on about all the men she's loved and lost in her life... Patrick was drowned on the Titanic, Evelyn married someone else, Matthew was killed in a car crash, the "Turk" died of a heart attack in Mary's bed... she hasn't had very good luck with men. :lol:

The couple giggling in the pantry are Carson (the butler) and Mrs Hughes, the housekeeper. They eventually get married in a later season.

The two elderly ladies are Dowager Countess Violet (Lord Grantham's mother) and Mrs Crawley (Mary's former mother-in-law; she's Matthew's mother). It takes a long time for these two characters to even tolerate each other, but they gradually become frenemies, and finally friends. The Dowager Countess (played by Maggie Smith) is my favorite Downton Abbey character.

Fun fact: the actress playing Mrs Crawley was in Doctor Who, and of course Maggie Smith was in Harry Potter, so SF/F is well-represented at Downton.

Anyway, here's the Downton version of Star Wars:

20. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Basically the point is (Takhisis original research©™) that Gina Carano supports Donald Trump and his vote revision efforts, etc. etc. somewhat aggressively on teh Internetz so people want her out because of that.