1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

30 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Jedi

44 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

No, because evolution isn't always about making something better. ;)

2. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

KOTOR III -

---------------------

Comics -

------------------------------------

CW-Rebels episodes connected to Mando :

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I know, and I've had/read comics in which Darth Vader used Stormtrooper corpses to fight Darth Maul and so on, and Force bonds are a thing, but this whole ‘Heir of the Force’ things was just bad. It's as if Marvel had been assigned the scriptwriting and decided to make it about The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny© first and somewhere along the line realised that they needed to get us there so they threw in something in loco argumenti (seriously? The weirdo civilian fleet gathering in a couple of hours?) and called it a day.

4. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Leia Poppins was cool.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. Takhisis

Again, sine argumento. There's just no reason for it and it devalues a large part of the samurai/eastern master warrior philosophy that inspires Star Wars.

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

wrong

7. r16

r16 not deity

ı remember myself cringing in theater , being both a kid of 80s when your eyes pop out of their sockets when exposed to vacuum and seriously always questioning Leia Organa , the Jedi .

8. JohannaK

Muh anshent kulchur

9. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

Flash Gordon was the original inspiration, and Lucas forgot that completely.

Thorvald of Lym and Sommerswerd like this.
  10. JohannaK

"People using the Force to move through the void of space detracts from laser sword-fighting"

"How?"

"People using the Force to move through the void of space detracts from laser sword-fighting"

"..."

Yeah, I'm calling your banta poo-doo.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Leia almost dying in the vacuum of space and moving like that made me feel things in the theatre. We've been shown that she was trained in how to use the force to some degree, so I don't see what problem people could have with that scene.

If anything she should have died right there and then, and that's what I expected to happen at first. Of course these movies liked to make us think that people are dead, then later coming back to life like 827515 times, so that was a bit overdone.. but it's Leia, I liked that moment for her.

Thorvald of Lym and Sommerswerd like this.
  12. JohannaK

Death in the vacuum of space is not instantaneous, so no complaints from me.

Yondu Udonta never forget.

13. Buster's Uncle

A zero-grav environment is, naturally, where Force-telekinesis would be most effective. With masters able to teke tons in a hurry in 1g, there's surely no problem with a particularly Force-sensitive-by-birth individual being able to, even sans training, push a few pounds of force effectively in a life-or-death situation.

Thorvald of Lym, JohannaK and tjs282 like this.
  14. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

You don't have to forget to forgive. In fact, I don't know that it is technically forgiving, if you've forgotten about it. I don't have any clue what half of that stuff is anyway, so I guess its easier for me to forgive. Plus I don't even have to forget stuff I never knew or cared about.

15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I agree. I think that scene make perfect sense.

16. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

It's the framing, not the act itself. The scene and context makes it stupid. It would have been fine and/or great in a different circumstance.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  17. r16

r16 not deity

instead of conspiracy to track to make the so called rebel fleet drop out hyperspace by interdictor cruisers and keeping them in place with tractor beam gear on a 60 kilometer wide command ship/base because Snoke wants to replay Palpatine/Darth Vader/Luke dynamics above the Forest Moon of Endor ... we have ohhs and ahhs and lens flares . Because Lucasarts actually made stuff that makes it dangerous for even Kylo Ren , some dude who like has the genes down from Anakin Skywalker and yeah , Han Solo , to fly in the interaction of stuff and he gets recalled and he obeys after killing Admiral Ackbar and the whole bridge crew . The goddamned scene was actually filmed that way , right ? But no , the success of Mandalorian like makes people forgive Disney and forget , let me see , director "forgetting" the script , because the age of post truth is to be forever ? lnstead , despite objections of Carrie Fisher , because after all she was the grand dame in the thing and wanted it to succeed if only because these new kids on the block deserved success as much as Harrison Ford did , right ? That's an additional thing on why Leia Poppins is bad . lf you want to say , stupid , why that will also make the grade ...

18. Buster's Uncle

I finally learned to vote w/ my feet, so haven't inflicted any of the SW sequels on myself - very like all fake Star Track of the last decade-plus.

[shrugs] Definitely sounds like I'm happier that way; still feeling burned by RotJ all these years later, and actually, physically, just last night wrote a plot to replace the first third down to five minutes and give the worthy part more room to -maybe- suck less.

[shakes head sadly] I should get that link, since I brought it up... https://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=20894.msg129592#msg129592 -Starts w/ comments two days earlier, but there's a workable opening that takes care of the plot advancement needed, plus features the Fett and Slave Leia, still. I should have thrown in a second or two's establishing shot that it was on a space station. Didn't start this post meaning to do RotJ...

19. Takhisis

Don't go there, seeing as how most people don't know that Flash Gordon is to Star Wars like Valerian is to The Fifth Element.
    No, no, no, I'd better explain as I did when Ep. 8 came out.

In films such as Hero, the warrior grows beyond the need for the sword. The greatest of the Jedi masters, Yoda, doesn't go in for the flashy stuff. In Ep. II he only does so at the point when the very Chosen One of the Force is in danger and again only when his own life is in danger in Ep. III.
    Leia could very well have been a non-action Big Good who does a lot of things with the Force; after all, Snoke is never seen in combat, but does change Ben into Kylo Ren.

Disney just changed it into Force → action scene.
    Also I know that it's one of the scenes forced by the producers (read: Kathleen Kennedy & al.) on the unwary director, who was also kept in the dark about what Ep. 9 was to be about.

20. Buster's Uncle

Why NOT go there?

If fans don't know that a few watch-throughs of Buster Crabbe-Flash Gordon (1936) are required (and a rather delightfully campy charm, if you appreciate the bag of dirt they shot it on and it was too early for the special effects guys to know how to do anything) SW knowledge - they arre nae troo fannns.

(I assume you mean Valerian the comic - wasn't the movie out over a decade later than 5thE?)

Luke, you see, according to Original Intent, was Flash Jr... The best implications of all that, however, inform what was wrong with the prequels/how to fix same, imaginarily...