1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

30 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Jedi

44 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I haven't watched any of the animated series, and I don't know how the animated series connect with each other. It didn't seem like a knowledge of the animated series was necessary to understand or enjoy season 2 of The Mandalorian. I'm hoping one can jump into The Bad Batch without having seen the others first.

2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Generally, I suppose not. But, having some knowledge of who Ahsoka & Bo-Katan are, as well as what the Darksaber is and why it's important, would surely have enhanced an individual's enjoyment of the story. Also, knowing some of Mandalore's, and Mandalorians', history will likely come in handy depending on how deep they go in the future.
    I imagine not having seen any of TCW episodes wouldn't necessarily be a barrier to understanding what's going on in The Bad Batch, which is essentially just a sequel to that show. However, it would probably be beneficial to at least have seen S07 of TCW, though, which introduces those characters.

EgonSpengler likes this.
  3. Joij21

Joij21 King

Umm, I doubt the U.S. was designing warbots similar to C.I.S. crab and dwarf spider droids. Especially in the 30s. You have to remember computing was nowhere near the capacity to design any such robot back then (with the most advance computers being analog cryptograph machines). Also electric motors for powering the legs would have been impossible, since electric motors were not as powerful and efficient as they are today. Hydraulic or Pneumatic systems for the legs wouldn't work as well, as such things were not as advanced as what we have now.

If anything like that was being designed by the military industrial complex it would have been in the 70s and 80s (you know right after the microprocessor was invented). Even then it would have been just a proof of concept and been more of a techno-optimist design, as AI was still nowhere near as developed as today. And if any serious funding had gone into such designs at the time, funding would have dried up after the Soviet Union collapsed a decade or two later.

Today, perhaps. However such a machine would require a lot of electricity for it's size and most likely would need a diesel engine connected to an alternator to generate power due to battery technology still not being up to par even today (hence all the problems with us converting to purely electric cars). AI would still be dubious and would struggle between killing civilian and military targets (not that the Separatists would care about war crimes) and would also struggle to be creative and beat an actual thinking opponent on the battlefield. Hacking and EMPs could easily take it out. Politically it would also struggle to gain much traction as you would have various anti-war groups, civil rights groups, doubtful military officials, and politicians who would be opposed to it. Only way it would become politically viable would be if China or Russia builds one first, then provokes the GOP into starting a new robot driven arms race for the sake of "getting tough on our adversaries".

4. r16

r16 not deity

the r16 way of doing things is talking stuff people had never heard of , like most of the time , in a vague way and whatever in addition to stuff . Accordingly ı wasn't claiming they were doing robots . These would be manned tanks , hydraulic would do , as they had no intention of speed either . Like ı haven't been in any amphibious landing nor actually seen the ocean , let alone the Pasific but ı saw the Tom Hanks and the volleyball , his best pal . Surf is a thing , right ? Also ignored will be specific extras in addition to already pathetic fire support , wouldn't last a week in consideration , as the US Marine Corps also rejected any organic armour at the time , considering they lacked the money to design and buy flat bottomed landing ships as well . To land mere troops .

the discussions naturally involved tanks , with Lucas trusting McQuarrie somehow leading the concept people , Lucasarts tending to prefer showing this :

_70240790_starwarsartconcept_joejohnston.jpg

but it is just a tank and every American kid long knew no German Panzer would survive Joe the Gl and his bazooka . So , Tolkien "won" , olephaunts happened , though Luke's jaunt up there kinda falls short of Legolas killing 20 or 30 people ... And the talking point would be General Electric's mid 60s walking cargo thing ,which should be possible to find online . Nobody is designing 20 or 30 metre high walking things , because they can't and those who can will not give them to Commies , considering crushing America is like going to be fun . Now , am going to read how Popular Mechanics teaches Americans and the world that how the Star Wars "tanks" are silly , considering it came up while ı was looking for the picture .

edit : Having read the piece "5 reasons why" ı can readily assure people that it is part of the thing how Disney's triology would replace the Lucas origins with much better stuff and a lens flare . Silly George , his stuff makes no sense . Yeah , Abrams would have a repulsorlift AT-AT or something , instead of placating danger looming with AT-ATs becoming sled dogs for this big gun on the ground ... ! ... Has real life America conquering everything with real lazer stuff , mules that carry cargo to troops , stuff ! But then ı don't know how much attention a real Star Wars person would pay , when the author talks of All Terrain All Transport ... Umm , yeah , exactly ... Even gives a number to the speed of blaster bolts , like 130 miles per hour . Lacking a crystal ball in 2015 , he has failed to see a future where both sides in the Azeri-Armenian conflict of 2020 would photoshop their combat footage , where SAM missiles do not ever zigzag but travel straight as a Star Warsian blaster bolt ... People do not know how annoying ı am to those who actually know .

edit2: And also , even if it possibly makes my tablet seize with its set of cookies , here is a more official thing

https://kitbashed.com/blog/giant-walking-machines

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  5. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

Read the 'Duel Of Fates' comic adaption (fan-made) -

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

"This is Sith Poodle. He only ever wears pink. He is also a badarse, so don't mess with him"

7. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

@ last, what may be the start of Civ VI SW mods project -

Galactic Republic Civilization - Chancellor Palpatine :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2424847074&searchtext=

edit -

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    tjs282 likes this.
  8. r16

r16 not deity

when people in this thread were talking for a more alien Sith , am pretty sure they didn't mean this :

earl-lan-darth-xenor.jpg

tjs282 likes this.
  9. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Ok, who let James Cameron into Lucasfilm?

10. r16

r16 not deity

it is a picture from Artstation where people are actually (by design of site) showcasing their skills . ı don't think there was any actual xenomorph stuff studied for SW movies .

11. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Feels like something out of Mass Effect honestly.

12. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    If it were from out of Mass Effect, I'd look more like a mechanical Culthulu.

13. Laurana Kanan

I'm generally pretty down on Disney/Lucasfilm these days. But, my spirits brightened after seeing some clips on a video featuring stuntwoman Lauren Mary Kim, and searching out these amazing Star Wars vs Harry Potter videos done by some stunt people from Down Under.

tjs282 and Sommerswerd like this.
  14. Laurana Kanan

Production begins soon on Obi-Wan Kenobi, a special event series coming to Disney+. The cast includes

Don't have a problem with any of them, but Kumail? Really?

Clubber Lang and EgonSpengler like this.
  15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I don't think I've ever liked Hayden Christiansen in anything, but oh well.

16. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

I didn't like his character in Jumper, but I thought he played the role well enough.

17. r16

r16 not deity

that people doesn't like him might very well depend on general consensus as formed by internet , already formidable at the time . And of course it just fits the general reputation of the franchise .

18. Laurana Kanan

I wouldn't go as far as saying I ever loved him in anything, but the few movies I've seen him in outside of SW (Jumper, American Heist, Little Italy), I've generally liked. What I'm really curious is whether we'll see him in flashbacks during TCW. I can't believe they'd bring him back solely to inhabit the Vader suit as some of the rumors suggest.

I'm not really familiar with some of the other actors. I know Joel & Bonnie will be reprising Owen & Beru Lars. Sung Kang I know from the F&F movies. Indira Varma was in GoT. O'Shea Jackson Jr. is Ice Cube's son. Moses Ingram was in The Queen's Gambit. Simone Kessell I only know from the TV show Terra Nova. The other two guys I don't know.

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I'm hoping Christensen won't have a big part to play. Maybe flashbacks, like you say. I do like Edgerton. I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of him, but I don't know if it makes a lot of sense for him to be a huge part of this series. I 'met' Varma in Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love. O'Shea Jackson Jr. is Ice Cube's son, and played his father in Straight Outta Compton.

20. Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang Warlord

Vader vs Kenobi -

"The rematch of the century." - KK

"This is quite a dark time we're coming into with him," Chow added at the time. "Just being a Jedi is not safe. There are Jedi hunters out there… We couldn't tell the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi without addressing Anakin or Vader. We all definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again."

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021