Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Episode 3 was much better, but...

Spoiler :
Vader just let Obi Wan get away and the only reason is because the rest of the series has to happen. Vader literally put out the fire seconds before, he could just do it again and walk over to him. Or Vader could have force pulled him or something. It was a great ending to the episode but they wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't figure a good way out.

Okay, I take back what I said about the first two episodes. The third episode was INCREDIBLE.

Episode III -

Obi-Wan Kenobi episode 3 review: "The show gets everything right about Darth Vader"

We were promised the “rematch of the century” between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. While the third episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi doesn’t quite deliver on that front just yet, Darth Vader’s presence elevates what could have otherwise been a slightly weaker follow-up to last week’s strong one-two combo. It helps, too, that the spectre of Vader looms large throughout the episode – there’s one scene on Mustafar, in which Reva dials in an attempt to further her career, and an apparition of Anakin appears on the mining colony of Mapuzo – before unleashing the iconic villain at full force.

Before the saber duel, Obi-Wan and Leia, now affectionally dubbed ‘Little Leia’ on social media, slowly make their way to the nearest spaceport on Mapuzo. After a cute back-and-forth between the pair, Leia flags down Freck (voiced by Zach Braff) to try and slip past the Empire’s legion of Stormtroopers stationed on the planet.

As a journey, it’s pretty rote and highlights the problems with prequels as a whole. The episode spends a significant amount of time trying to make Obi-Wan and Leia seem increasingly vulnerable, yet we know the two characters make it out the other side. At least Freck, the Empire’s bootlicker-in-chief, offers an intriguing window into those who would welcome the Empire, not resist it. Obi-Wan’s revelation that he may have had a brother also offers up some tantalizing lore implications that will surely be devoured in Reddit threads and forums for years to come. Expect the Obi-Two spin-off to drop on Disney Plus in 2026.

Away from Mapuzo, the Inquisitors reconvene. In the previous episode, the group seemed more like bickering children. Here, Moses Ingram’s Reva commands a slightly more complex scene. While internal politics of the Empire almost always boils down to who will be the first to stab someone in the back, it’s refreshing to see Sung Kang’s Fifth Brother bite back in venomous fashion as the fight to stand by Vader’s side rumbles on.

Later, after a Leia/Luma slip of the tongue, Freck sells his hitchhikers out to the Empire, and we get a snatch of action. Where the first two episodes floundered somewhat in that regard – hello there, Force backflips – here it’s far more snappier and Ewan McGregor is clearly far more comfortable in his choreography. Leia and Obi-Wan are saved by Imperial spy Tala (Indira Varma, continuing the series’ pattern of strong one-off performances) and quickly hurried into a secret tunnel system to help them flee the planet. Except Obi-Wan doesn’t go. He senses something and tells Tala to accompany Leia as he deals with an imminent threat.

If you weren’t already breathless during Anakin’s ‘cameo’ earlier in the episode, you will be by this point. The show gets everything right about Darth Vader. He’s both the classic Vader from the Original Trilogy, complete with James Earl Jones’ booming voice, and Rogue One’s horror slasher. He even chokes out innocents while on the hunt for Obi-Wan, offering up a threat as fearsome as any seen in Star Wars media.

For Obi-Wan, things only gets worse. As Vader stalks him in the arid plains, Obi-Wan chooses not to fight. Instead, he runs. At first, it’s a little deflating but absolutely makes sense for the character. The Jedi Master isn’t the force – pun not intended – that he once was. When the two finally do clash, it’s a complete mismatch. Instead of crossing lightsabers, the two exchange words. “What have you become?” yells Obi-Wan. Vader’s matter-of-fact reply causes more pain than any flesh wound would: “I am what you made me.”

When he attacks, Vader paws at Obi-Wan as if he were a cat playing with his prey. The lightsaber battle was never going to be on the Duel of the Fates level of expertise but, as a character beat, Vader violently slashing and slicing as Obi-Wan struggles to defend himself. It hits just as hard as any intricate battle would.

With Obi-Wan broken and battered, Vader has one final trick up his robotic sleeve. With a dash of irony that would make the Emperor proud, the Sith Lord attempts to burn Obi-Wan, just as he left Anakin for dead in the lava banks of Mustafar. He even drags Obi-Wan’s broken body across the fire in one particularly cutting moment. Their reunion is filled with flashes that are at once brutal and instantly iconic, yet also worth the 15-year-plus wait. If there was any worry that Obi-Wan and Anakin’s pre-A New Hope reunion would fall flat, this helps silence the doubters in stunning fashion.

Obi-Wan, of course, lives to fight another day. Tala swoops in and saves the Jedi, while Reva meets Leia at the end of the tunnel and scoops up her golden ticket to joining the upper ranks of the Empire. It’s not quite The Empire Strikes Back’s gut-punch of an ending, but it tracks along the same lines. The heroes have lost and the future is unknown. Our only hope is that Obi-Wan finds some guidance – from Qui-Gon Jinn or otherwise – to put him back on the right path. Rematch, anyone?

Great episode 3, but parts of this show still feel .. clunky. I have no idea, but it almost feels like they forgot to hire an important crew member that's responsible for something that I can't quite put my finger on.

It basically feels like they are using many of the same methods that work well in a saturday morning cartoon.. but don't really work in a live action show.. but they're doing it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the latest ep.. but.. it seems the whole show could have been even better.

so , another TV series ? Hmm , gotta avoid all the spoilers .

but yeah , some new books come my way , some of them apparently of 2022 . In reverse order in a way , too . Neimo whatevers , ı had long stacked to the idea that they were all cowards . Some Clone Wars cartoon coming as a shock with they had flesh and bone troopers . So , this novel came as a good thing with more of the same . To be followed by the latest in Queen's series . Lessening the shock aspect of merchants and even preparing one for the sister . In the first book the impression ı got was Kaminonians had played with the genetic material inline with the dumbest idea from the sequels ... Turns out this is more of the Disney formula . Despite the Republic Commando series where the Kaminonians try to kill 2 or 4 year kids for not fitting in or being too smart ... Even if those novels could also be argued as American brain washing for the War on Terror era . Mind you , it is none of my business , George Lucas had it before anyone else and ı already committed to a position of that galaxy is large enough for anything . But yeah , will Disney officially out 2 out the leading 3 of the sequels ? No ? Accordingly ı have decided , no ı have decreed the Queen narrative will be Disney free .

Episode 4

Spoiler :
I knew it...tracker on the butterfly droid *beep*beep*beep*

The cartoon escape trick, hide under a big coat haha

That creepy Jedi tomb...Sith collecting and displaying dead Jedi like hologram stickers

Last edited:
I came across some videos on YouTube of reenactments of Star Wars done with low budget.

Question for the Star Wars fans out there....

I recently got a subscription to Disney and I'm doing a deeper dive into the Star Wars material. I'm currently watching (and enjoying) The Clone Wars. I see there are two other animated series, The Bad Bunch and Rebels. Are they also worth watching and in what order?

I'm enjoying Obi Won Kenobi but not sure about the 6 episodes length, given we're already 4 in, can't be much left (and there seems alot to cover), seems it will be rushed. The Mandalorian's longer number of episodes allowed a more enjoyable journey IMHO.

Question for the Star Wars fans out there....

I recently got a subscription to Disney and I'm doing a deeper dive into the Star Wars material. I'm currently watching (and enjoying) The Clone Wars. I see there are two other animated series, The Bad Bunch and Rebels. Are they also worth watching and in what order?

Chronologically, it'd be TCW, Bad Batch, Rebels. You can decide if Bad Batch is worth watching in the final season of TCW, since they are introduced then.

I would say Rebels is the best Star Wars show by far. But other fans typically disagree with me on that.

Ep 4 was alright..
Spoiler :
All the scenes with Leia are.. average or bad though

Spoiler :
One of the reviewers I like to listen to mentioned that the longer Leia is involved in the plot, the more it breaks established cannon. In the original Star Wars, Leia is an Imperial Senator who just recently went into open rebellion. But the more she is seen hanging out with Obi-Wan, a known jedi, well that would be a huge red flag. Now apparently Reva knows that Leia is force sensitive too. So how can she be a senator later and Vader/Palpatine allow it?

The show also needs to somehow explain that line Vader had in A New Hope about how the last time they met, he was the learner but now he is the master. But Vader seemed pretty dominate in their first meeting in this show. Maybe they have something up their sleeves to explain these inconsistencies but I'm not seeing how they can do it in a satisfying way.

Episode 4 was okay, I guess.

Spoiler :
I suppose I will be contrary here and say that the Leia scenes, excepting the meeting between Vader and Obi-Wan, have been the best. (Let's ignore the chase scene.) They are informing her later development very well as shown in Rebels. I do not agree that her characterization here is contrary to what we see in A New Hope.

Anyway, the latest episode was... okay. I wouldn't say it was good. After the third episode, I would actually say it's very disappointing. My hype has been dimmed again.

I am enjoying then, but I have to rant
Spoiler E4 :
Leia, who a diplomatic problem for the empire is only valuable as bait for Ben. She is in the most protected part of the planet, and he has a chance to go and tell her father to get her out diplomatically, or try himself and if he fails her father never hears about her again.

Also, every time someone goes near the empire, in the past or the future, they put a tracking device on you. You must have noticed by now

I am enjoying then, but I have to rant
Spoiler E4 :
Leia, who a diplomatic problem for the empire is only valuable as bait for Ben. She is in the most protected part of the planet, and he has a chance to go and tell her father to get her out diplomatically, or try himself and if he fails her father never hears about her again.

Also, every time someone goes near the empire, in the past or the future, they put a tracking device on you. You must have noticed by now
Spoiler :
I have not played Fallen Order where the Inquisitors apparently are shown prominently, and thus my only experience is with their depiction in Rebels, but AFAIK the Inquisitors almost entirely operate outside the scope and purview of the Senate. This is also during the Empire's active degradation of the Senate's power and sway, so I'm not sure how much Bail Organa could actually do.

Another thing is that this show needs to inform the development of the rebellion. Bail finding out what they did to his daughter after the fact is an excellent motive for his key involvement in its design. This also informs how Leia is so sure-minded in Rebels, and also how nonchalant she is with the idea of Jedi. A way to justify Bail not knowing and getting involved is that doing so would out him as being a direct collaborator with Kenobi post-Republic, which would surely earn him a personal visit from Vader and a total upheaval of Alderaanian politics.

Spoiler :
I have not played Fallen Order where the Inquisitors apparently are shown prominently, and thus my only experience is with their depiction in Rebels, but AFAIK the Inquisitors almost entirely operate outside the scope and purview of the Senate. This is also during the Empire's active degradation of the Senate's power and sway, so I'm not sure how much Bail Organa could actually do.

Another thing is that this show needs to inform the development of the rebellion. Bail finding out what they did to his daughter after the fact is an excellent motive for his key involvement in its design. This also informs how Leia is so sure-minded in Rebels, and also how nonchalant she is with the idea of Jedi. A way to justify Bail not knowing and getting involved is that doing so would out him as being a direct collaborator with Kenobi post-Republic, which would surely earn him a personal visit from Vader and a total upheaval of Alderaanian politics.
Spoiler :
They captured Leia to get at Kenobi, didn't they? They must know there is a connection. I suppose Kenobi many not have figured that out. I have not seen (or read, is that the graphic novel?) Rebels.

Top Bottom