All Things Star Wars

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 15, 2014.

?

Sith or Jedi?

1. Sith

31 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Jedi

46 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. Synobun

Synobun Deity

Well, that show's done. 4/10.

2. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

It was a frustrating end to a frustrating series. Everytime something good or enjoyable happened
    Spoiler :
    the lightsabre duels between Obi Won and Darth Vader in the last episode were pretty cool
    it was followed soon after by something frustrating
    Spoiler :
    first Darth Vader and then Obi Won just left the other without checking they were dead/finishing them off :mad:. I know there is the fixed future to consider but please.....
    . I rewatched Rebel One last weekend (because why not) and enjoyed that 100% better than Obi Won Kenobi, even though I knew what was going to happen.

3. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Elderly Tortoise

Well there were a lot of isolated moments that I liked but there were also too many logical inconsistencies, sloppily done action/editing, and canon-breaking story elements.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

It seems that imperial destroyers can't even hit a single transport vessel. They probably carry no fighters either - only one pod for Vader. Not very economical.
    At least this helps the destroyer stay focused and only follow and try to shoot (and fail) one vessel at a time.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Spoiler :
    I did think it was really stupid to see one of the Empire's top ships unable to capture a simple falling apart freighter.. Why didn't it dispatch TIE fighters? Why didn't it use a tractor beam? The scenes on the freighter w/ the laser beams zipping by in the window were.. stupid. In all star wars content I have seen so far, in the last several decades, a star destroyer being right behind you shooting at you non-stop is not a time when you can put all that off to the background while 2 characters have a heartfelt conversation together. That was just weirdly imagined, as if (again) by a 10 year old. And there's nothing wrong with the mind of a 10 year old, but you can usually see right through it.

Everything else about the episode was really good, IMO. I am mainly remembering the Obi vs Vader parts, I liked where they went with the story and how the wrapped up all the loose ends. Works for me! Don't know why we needed everything to be wrapped up in a script written by a gebril committee, but I assume that part will sell toys or something

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

It's more of the same. I prefer that other moment with the explanation that warping means you go really, really fast. Wouldn't that mean that even small objects (debris) would destroy your ship? :D

7. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Random drive by rant (forgive me but I get emotional on this subject)

Disney Star Wars is utter heresy and blasphemous. Kathleen Kennedy can GFH!

Kyriakos likes this.
  8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

So I was hate-watching a video on (against) The Last Jedi, which I haven't seen.
    Lol, how did Leia return to the ship after being blown to space? Wouldn't a person sort of die if found there without a suit?
    Force is magic and solves everything /facepalm ^_^

PS: "To live and die in Disney" :lol:
    Look away.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Moff Jerjerrod likes this.
  9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Leia is force sensitive and so she is basically a space wizard. Star Wars is set in a fantasy setting where real world rules don't apply.

There's characters coming back from the dead, telekinesis is real, mind control exists, and all sorts of other magical stuff. Compared to what some of the other characters have done, Leia surviving in space for a couple minutes doesn't bother me too much. The force guiding her back into the ship doesn't bother me either.

I don't know why people focus on this. I thought it was a great sendoff to the actress, and this movie was full of soooo many stupid parts that this didn't really stick out as one of them to me. If Star Wars was science fiction, I'd probably complain a bit, but there are literal space wizards running around performing feats of space magic.. Much more unbelievable stuff has happened in the SW universe. This whole trilogy was also just soo bad, this seems like an odd thing to focus on

Thorvald of Lym and Samson like this.
  10. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Ugh, the thumbnail alone took me right back to the nadir of the 2018 Hatedumb. Hopefully we can agree it's not the individual directors to blame, but that Disney didn't know what it was doing.

Kyriakos likes this.
  11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It seems clear that Obi Wan should have been a movie. The last 2 episodes back to back sort of felt like one, and it seems with higher production values a movie focusing on that could have been epic.. Instead we got all those weird early filler episodes that took forever to set the scene sort to speak. I read somewhere that it was in fact going to be a movie at one point.. but.. yeah.. who made this decision? Instead of an epic movie we got a meh series that has way too much filler. Epic ending, but the leadup to it just wasn't worthy, IMO

I don't really know much about Kennedy or whoever she is, but whoever is in charge of the SW franchise is surely to blame for the last bunch of years of blunders.. It basically feels like they make all their decisions by committee, without any one person really being in charge. That could also be a sign of bad management though..

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

It's not merely a "blunder" imo, the franchise is filled with inconsistencies and there's no canon to speak of by now.
    But I will repeat that people forget how the second trilogy (with Ewan etc) also was ridiculed by fans at the time, while now it is presented as something supposedly well-received. And the second trilogy was written by Lucas, so he ruined his own work.
    Then again I never was a fan of star wars. And yes, there are stupid stuff in the first trilogy already, but at least it had style and nice effects for its time. I doubt the force back then was quite as powerful, though; Vader would struggle to throw small objects about, while now he can ground ships (but only when they have no plot armor).
    Besides, if the force is enough for you to not die in space, why even use a spaceship? Let alone that the death-star could have been destroyed by any empty ship "warping" into it (not that the way it was actually destroyed was very believable, but warping= moving extremely fast has a ton of other issues).

13. Samson

Samson Deity

This was the bit (in the last of the main 9 films was it?) that got me. If you can just warp into ships to destroy them how can capital ships exist?

Kyriakos likes this.
  14. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

^I was talking about that with a friend IRL an hour ago. That was in Episode 8. Suddenly they found out that you could warp into capital ships so an already-failing capital ship was utterly destroyed but exactly the parts that allowed an otherwise useless chunk of metal to suddenly do a telefrag on the enemies' ship but just happen to not kill any good guys (who were about to be executed) and leave them some escape craft within reach.

15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Couldn't they send Leia with some explosives? The capital ship should have a death-star like vulnerability.
    Or do that with the death star, one jedi is worth less than that.

16. Samson

Samson Deity

It would not need to be a jedi. All those X-wings that died trying to hit a "womp rat at beggar canyon" could have just pointed at the death star and turned on their hyperdrive.

17. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Yes, but maybe they are too cheap and don't want to waste a ship, and they have a camikaze jedi who isn't all that useful otherwise? ^_^

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's because all the hardcore Star Wars fans (who are saying that the prequels were actually good) have watched all the supplementary material that fleshes out the story a lot better. In that greater context and all that extra character development, the quality of the prequels does improve a bit.. I can't deny that.. But I also think it's ridiculous that we're supposed to rely on supplementary materials to make a movie good.

The difference between the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy.. The prequel trilogy actually had a sort of for the most part logically consistent plot you could follow - a character's rise to evilness. The main problem w/ it was that the dialogue was horrible, the character development non-existent, and the whole thing basically felt like you were watching a historical documentary. There were some cool action scenes but overall they were not very good movies. So yeah, I can understand how a hardcore fan would enjoy these movies more, if the background for some of these characters and subplots was properly explored in supplementary material.. It's not a bad story! It was just not written or imagined/filmed very well.. Supplementary materials make the whole setting richer in context and you are actually able to pull out more meaning out of it all, due to the extra information you've pulled out of the cartoons. This is NOT how movies should be judged (i.e. they should be judged on their own merits), but I can understand why fans would like the PT more with that extra content that now exists. It was a good story, it just was told upside-down with jam in your ears. With extra material helping build context for the story, it makes the prequel trilogy more enjoyable as a result.

The sequel trilogy on the other hand is an incoherent mess. There's no logical path from the beginning of episode 7 to the end of episode 9. PT has "A rise of a character to evilness". What's the ST's tagline? What is the whole trilogy about? It looks like they winged it from start to finish, focusing on flashy action scenes that they thought would look cool.. and not really focusing on the overall story. Was there even one? There were absolutely zero hints of Palpatine being the star of the whole trilogy in the first 2 movies.. then he came out of nowhere at the beginning of ep 9 in the most pathetic way. I could go on and on.

I won't be surprised if Disney release all sorts of supplementary material that fleshes out these 3 movies.. and wouldn't be surprised if people in 20 years say "they were actually good".. but IMO there is a big difference between the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy. Both contain bad movies, but the PT at least has a coherent story you can sort of follow. The ST is a whole bunch of flashy filler until we run into Palpatine at the end of ep 9.. i.e. A whole bunch of filler + an ending that makes you groan and roll your eyes. Not an ideal combo

If you don't know how to make a trilogy.. make standalone movies instead.. Solo & Rogue One were pretty good.

As for "Why don't Jedi fly through space without spaceships?", it's probably because it takes a lot of effort.. they would be limited to whatever solar system they're in (no hyperdrive).. if somebody attacks them they are a lot more vulnerable as well. IMO it's the same reason why they carry around laser swords. You could argue that a Jedi knight wouldn't even need a weapon..

Kyriakos and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  19. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Jedis not relying much on lightsabers (and using the force more) for warfare is also a great departure from the original trilogy, but even in the second trilogy (prequels) there are all sorts of ridiculous feats with the force (and with lightsaber fight acrobatics, like in the bizarrely childish fight between Palpatine and Yoda), just not quite on the level of the third trilogy or the Obi-Wan show where essentially you need nothing else but the force to ruin everyone.

I've seen it argued that the difference in quality (and tone = more serious originally, dumber later on) between the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy is due to Lucas being so involved in directing and writing the second trilogy, unlike with the first one (his dialogue was changed, iirc he didn't direct movies 2 and 3). Maybe Lucas himself is a cretin/hack :dunno:

Disney is about selling toys. There was zero chance that their movies would be serious. It's just that in the end they became Power Rangers.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

A synopsis.