• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
SPOILER: Last Jedi Season has begun :D.

(The spoiler is the first teaser, but I'm spoilering it for the safety of people who might wish to avoid these things)

Spoiler :

Oh my God, it gives me tge shimmies. I shudder in anticipation.

Great, even Star Wars slips into BS moral relativism

I don't buy that there's 50 shades of grey between the light and the dark, and thinking there is the path to the dark side.

Now, if JJ actually does that, and discredits this grey jedi nonsense as the dark side flim-flam it is, he will succeed in sincerely impressing me. However, I see it far more likely that he's buying into the hedgy nonsense.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be opposed to the "if you feel an emotion, you're a dingus" philosophy dying out in the Jedi Code, personally.

There being different interpretations of the Force has almost always been a thing, EU and canon alike. I'm not sure they'll go Grey Jedi. I think they might do something else entirely.

I wouldn't be opposed to the "if you feel an emotion, you're a dingus" philosophy dying out in the Jedi Code, personally.

There being different interpretations of the Force has almost always been a thing, EU and canon alike. I'm not sure they'll go Grey Jedi. I think they might do something else entirely.
JJ & Friends successfully convinced me that he had moral licence to continue the Star Wars tradition, I liked the treatment of the force in TFA and in Rogue one (despite Rogue One not having a dark/light dichotomy). However here he's threatening its moral center.

As I see it there are three possible outcomes:
1. Refutation - Deviation from the moral center is outed as a mistake
2. Revelation - They actually pull off a philosophical coup where Luke discovers something about the force that transforms the way we think about it while paying due deference to the original trilogy
3. Heresy - Yoda and Ben Kenobi are made to look like jackasses for not discovering some sophmoric relativistic medium between Dark and Light, Vader is reinterpreted an edgy anti-hero, and the Heart of Star Wars is destroyed in some gruesome abhorrent spectacle.

In any case the emotional bit isn't about not feeling. It's about feeling the force first and foremost and using that to guide you.

Daily reminder tgat JJ neither writes nor directs (nor produces) VIII.

Yes, but how many people (scriptwriters and other ‘developers’) are there still in the project?

I still hold that of the 'main' saga (or numbered) movies, TFA is the strongest on its own, and just about absolutely perfect to introduce new people to the universe. In its due context within the saga, it loses a lot story wise due to repetition, though characters and technique are still probably the best. I expect this trilogy to be more solid than the original.

Also Rogue One was very strong, with supporting characters making up for the deficiencies of the leads, the best villain yet, and a final third with the best scifi war scenes ever put to film, leading up to a veritable catharsis. The leadup is somewhat weak and hole-ridden but not too badly. I hope that Johnson took good note from it, as TLJ seems to contain its fair share of battling.

I'm reading that apparently Carrie Fisher got involved with the TLJ script. This could be a positive development.

Great, even Star Wars slips into BS moral relativism

I don't buy that there's 50 shades of grey between the light and the dark, and thinking there is the path to the dark side.

Now, if JJ actually does that, and discredits this grey jedi nonsense as the dark side flim-flam it is, he will succeed in sincerely impressing me. However, I see it far more likely that he's buying into the hedgy nonsense.

Yep, I'm with you here. Return of the Jedi was great for its themes of acceptance of our darker emotions and recognizing humanity in evil doers. What it did not do was false equivalence of good and evil.

We're going to end up with enough dumb thinkpieces as it is; I'd hate for Rian Johnson to agree with them.

I'm gonna look like a dumbass, but what's the difference between light and dark side beyond light=good and dark=bad?

Luke already had an extremely unorthodox Jedi training, I figure calling him one is already a bit of a stretch unless we take Jedi as metonymous with light side, which it has come to be but is not necessarily so. By which I mean: what is the problem of the name if the core distinction is still the same?

I'm gonna look like a dumbass, but what's the difference between light and dark side beyond light=good and dark=bad?
I don't think there is one, and I don't think there should be one.

Luke already had an extremely unorthodox Jedi training, I figure calling him one is already a bit of a stretch unless we take Jedi as metonymous with light side, which it has come to be but is not necessarily so. By which I mean: what is the problem of the name if the core distinction is still the same?
My suspicion is the core distinction is under threat where the dark side is going to be presented as something other than evil. If that is the case, then Star Wars will likely lose the Good vs. Evil narrative that's at its very heart in favor of BS moral relativism.

Perf, remember that in the pre-Disney era the Jedi and Sith espoused the light- v. dark-side view of the Force, but there were ‘heretical’ views of the Force e.g. the Potentium view espoused IIRC by Qui-Gon Jinn.

I have a question. They always talk about the balance of the force. Like Anakin is the chosen one who is to bring balance to the force. But then they just kill all the bad guys or make them into good guys. Where, exactly, enters a "Balance" the equation. It almost feels like this whole thing is not thought through, you know!

Top Bottom