Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
I like Obi-Wan Kenobi. There, I said it. Although I think they want to make a second season and I'm not sure what they can do with that that won't badly mess up continuity.

And I just finished The Mandalorian and okay, it's good. Maybe very good, even.

I liked Kenobi too.

Whether they should make a second season...well, weird idea, but weird ideas have given great shows before. So if they make it I'll see.

I like Obi-Wan Kenobi. There, I said it.

I wish I could say the same. I love Obi-Wan, the Inquisitors, and Hayden. But the meddling from upper management was exceedingly obvious, and the final result was a sad story of what could be. The confrontation between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the third episode was fantastic, and it gave me a lot of hope. The rest fell apart. The antagonist lead was horrid. The surrounding context was horrid. And the only worthwhile side characters were summarily trounced out, never to return.

I did like the actress for Leia. If they do more live action with Little Leia, I hope she returns.

I did not like the scenes they put her in.

From another thread:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but those classic Disney animated films seem to have been vastly superior to these "live-action" remakes that are coming out these days.
What if Disney had done the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Overall, I liked Obi-Wan. There were definitely bits I thought were too slow, though Indira Varma is always a win.

The primary problem with Obi-Wan Kenobi to me, is that it didn't successfully warrant a reason for its own existence.
I have no idea what I'm supposed to take away from the experience, other than 'Wow, look - it's Darth Vader'. And Leia was apparently fully formed as the feisty character Carrie Fisher played, when she was only 10 years old. :lol:

But The Book of Boba Fett was the lowest they've scraped the bottom of the barrel so far. It only momentarily sprung alive in the moments it became The Mandalorian S2.5, completely sidestepping its own protagonist.

I only watched the first 2-3 eps of both shows, so my opinion's not fully-formed. Still, I didn't really want either show, so they both had to convince me "of their existence", as @EvaDK says, and they failed (although I'm intrigued that there's a Mandalorian s2.5 in there, somewhere?). They both seemed like Disney was reaching for some Star Wars content, any Star Wars content, using characters & actors people already knew. A money grab? Could be. Maybe they felt like they just needed something, anything, to keep the ball rolling, and commissioning a new story with new characters set in the SW universe was putting too much on viewers' plates. Hollywood frequently exhibits a low opinion of its audience(s), and its audience frequently shows that they were right to.

fwiw, I didn't love that Little Leia already seemed to be the woman we met in Star Wars, but otoh, I wouldn't know how to portray that character as a little girl. But, then, I'm not a Hollywood writer. They ought to be better at this stuff than I am. (My solution would be to not portray her as a little girl. Characters we love don't all need "origin stories" explaining them to us. We understood who she was from the moment she appeared onscreen. But there are people who want everything spelled out, who even want to know the backstories of mysterious characters like The Joker, or Shepherd Book in Firefly. No. No. No.) In this case, the answer seems to be "she has no backstory or character arc that explains why she is who she is - she was just always like that." Yikes. There's probably better fanfic out there.

What really annoys me, is that Kathleen Kennedy postponed Obi-Wan Kenobi several years, as well as tossing out the initial scripts written, because they 'weren't good enough'/what she wanted. I don't blame the actors; they did the best with what they were given to work with. The kid actors as well; it's not their fault that the writers simply didn't have the imagination to de-age Leia & Luke a bit as characters. Or they were straight up told by Kennedy not to. Unlike kid Leia, kid Luke wasn't given much to do, but their thinking was revealed in his costume; it's almost identical to what he wears as a 19 year old, nine years later. Just in case the audience didn't get who he is. :lol:

Spoiler :

Okay, this show had me inside 5 minutes.

Andor has been a snooze fest. It might actually be more boring than Boba Fett, which deserves kudos.

It might get better after the third episode since they're finally no longer wasting time.

Spoiler :

Just as a general note, but I hate the modern trope of actually showing the audience flashback scenes of a character's childhood in order to inform their motivations and personality today.

Especially with Andor, it is just filler. It takes up so much time and informs us of nothing. We don't need to know that he was a tribal kid who got kidnapped. We don't need to know his fake granny is the one who kidnapped him. We don't need to know that him leaving Ferrix is so similar to him leaving Kenari. None of this matters. It is irrelevant noise.

Isn't this show only like ten episodes? Three episodes have been spent on pointless flashbacks and Cassian being recruited in the final five minutes. Just an insane amount of filler for something that's already short.

Okay, this show had me inside 5 minutes.

Andor?

I find it very refreshing; like STAR WARS for an adult audience. No the Force, no Skywalkers, no Jedi, Sith, Baby Yoda; no merchandising being forced upon your eyeballs.

Just worldbuilding and storytelling in a very grey, murky part of the Galaxy far, far away.

There's plenty of story in Andor though. Episode 3 in particular was masterfully edited; Stellan Skarsgaard was brilliant, the twin narrative with young and older Andor going through the same motions was inspired. And the score... I had to check who composed the music and I was shocked to see they bagged Succession's composer Nicholas Britell for this series. His score doesn't sound like an imitation of John William's iconic soundscape, yet the epic touch is there.

I haven't watched #3 yet, but I did think the pace of 2 was noticeably slower than 1. One thing I noted was how few of the characters in the trailer we've even met yet. One of the trailers really showcased Mon Mothma. If you look down at the pic below, we've really met only 3 of the people pictured (4, if you count the droid). Plus we've just seen our first glimpse of Stellan Skarsgard, but we don't know who he is yet. I also notice that one of the principal characters in eps 1 & 2, Timm, isn't even pictured there, so I'm not even sure he'll be a key character to the series, when all is said and done. These first two eps might amount to a kind of prologue. But the "running in place" of episode 2 didn't really bother me. I don't mind taking a moment to soak in the atmosphere.

EDIT: Forgot the pic.
Spoiler :

I noticed the first ep started with "BBY 5." I had to look that up. That's the year. "Before the Battle of Yavin" (when the first Death Star was destroyed). I'm not sure I've encountered it before, or if I did, it didn't stick in my brain.

I agree about the score. I thought it was great. I actually sat through the entire closing credits after the first episode, just to listen to the music.

Last edited:
I noticed the first ep started with "BBY 5." I had to look that up. That's the year. "Before the Battle of Yavin" (when the first Death Star was destroyed). I'm not sure I've encountered it before, or if I did, it didn't stick in my brain.
My first exposure to the Star Wars Calendar was inferencing the acronym from Kobayashi's scenario, but yeah, now that you mention it, have we ever seen hard dates in any of the canon videos?

My first exposure to the Star Wars Calendar was inferencing the acronym from Kobayashi's scenario, but yeah, now that you mention it, have we ever seen hard dates in any of the canon videos?
Not that I recall. The timeline of events in the movies has always been loosely based on the apparent ages of the characters, partly a function of the real ages of the actors. The Old Republic stories were "a thousand years before..." or something.

KotOR was 4000 years before Yavin, I believe.

First 3 eps were excellent. I might try to make time to watch them again before #4 arrives. Cyberpunk Star Wars.:clap:

KotOR was 4000 years before Yavin, I believe.
I’ve double checked on that and it’s around 4000 BBY where KotOR takes place within Legends Canon.

So does that mean Star Wars officially retires at 2020 ABY? :mischief:

Top Bottom