1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All this Talk of Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Zaimejs, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

Does anyone play a "Wonderless" game? I am going to give that a try to see how it affects my overall ability to win. I'm going to start the same game and play through with wonders and without... just to see what happens.

I know some of you math machines have got all this down to a science, so you can effectively tell in turns the advantage and disadvantage for each wonder, but I'm thinking that there are enough variables in a game to deny even you the ability to prognosticate the outcome of wonders vs. no wonders.

So this is my job for Christmas break. Wonders v. No Wonders. Which game will be better for me?

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Not even national wonders?

3. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

I've never seen an advice to play without NW, and if there was one somewhere... well... it's purely wrong. So I'd take the OP question in regard to WW only. And the answer is yes. I've played without building a single wonder plenty of times. Nothing happened. Game like every other game. You can take most of the wonders from AI. What can possibly be a problem here? :)

4. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Its possible. In multiplayer there are some players who do well enough without building a single wonder. I myself am somewhat lazy when it comes to building National College and relatively I will be near one of the last ones to build it in multi - but I will still be near the top/at the top without it with other balancing in consideration. I am sure I could go without wonders - but I would have to run a city state + tech/food powersetup

5. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

If I'm playing blitzy domination games, I might not build any wonders. I'll spend all my time building/buying units and rely on capturing wonders from other civs. If I am aggressive enough, I conquer too many cities to make the national wonders worthwhile.

However, I normally prefer peaceful, builder games and go wonder crazy.

6. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

I've had decent success without building any (even NW's), but then again, it's always been domination so I've endedd up with most of them anyway. Does that count?

7. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

That's what it seems like the pattern is. I ended up rage quitting when I couldn't take a stupid city with three catapults, three spears, two horses and two archers. So much anger.

I really didn't have much of an option for building except for military without wonders.

8. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

There's no need to forgo any World Wonders. If you are doing things right you should be able to get some at some point in the game. Maybe not until second half, but if you are making any kind of impact at all in the game, then you have a chance to get wonders at some point.

9. Ra's Head

Ra's Head Chieftain

Generally, the world wonders are optional, and playing a few games without any can help your overall play level. I have played no wonder games many times. If you focus on domination, then you probably won't even notice since you will capture most of them. The one victory that changes the most, is probably cultural and I have never tried a wonderless cultural game.

No national college is sort of a big deal. The other national wonders could be avoided with little problem, except hermitage for cultural.

10. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

Maybe you should play as Egypt to sweeten the deal?

11. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

Should be doable without NC as well. Just do a expansive game with Pacal/Messenger of the Gods.

12. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

I play quite a few games with no wonders. Opportunity cost and all that. Foregoing wonders means more combat troops and base infrastructure.

The national wonders even lose their appeal the wider you go. Yes, even NC. Wide games tend to have science spread across a huge empire, not centered in the capital. Some of my best games have had very late NC's or no NC at all.

Of course this isn't an argument for no wonders. They do make a difference, especially in tall or culture games. Victory is certainly not tied to them though.