1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

alliance against a nation, but w/o right of passage

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Borderline, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Borderline

Borderline Chieftain

i've noticed when my alliance nation uses my railroads, they stop at every 3 tiles as if they get no benefit from them. is this true if you don't give them right of passage?

i tried to give them right of passage, but neither of them accept due to my reputation against a previous nation i went to war with.

also on a related note, can the enemy units that i am in war with make full use of my roads and especially my railroads?

2. web25

web25 Chieftain

Yes, they need a rop.

No, only if they take one of your cities.

Borderline likes this.
  3. Borderline

Borderline Chieftain

oh ok.. what if i take the city back from them, do they lose access to my railroads? thanks

4. web25

web25 Chieftain

Yes, they would lose access to the city they lost...culture borders would determine their road uses.

That is weird the ai would deny a rop even thoigh theh are moving through your territory. Lol.

Borderline likes this.
  5. Borderline

Borderline Chieftain

yea im right dab in the middle of the map (pangea); portugal is above me. persia is to the lower right, and spain (our mutual enemy) is at the bottom. needing portugal to get quickly to the battlefront, but they don't accept my ROP unless i give them like 2 technology and a couple of luxury resources.

also, i assume it goes both ways? if i am within the enemies cultural borders, i can't make use of any of the roads for faster travel?

6. tjs282

tjs282 Halfhearted misanthrope

If you declared war on another nation while you already had units within their borders, e.g. because they told you to Leave or Declare, then it still counts as an 'RoP-violation', even if you didn't actually have an RoP at the time. After that, no-one who knows/knew the Civ you violated, will ever 'trust' you with a straight-up RoP again.

So if having and using an RoP is important for your game-aims, you may have to offer additional payment for it (per turn and possibly also with an up-front payment) before they'll accept it.
    Yes. Basically, the way the movement rules work is, unclaimed roads (and rails) may always be used freely, by anyone, and give their respective movement-benefits to everyone. But foreign units within your borders (and vice versa) can only get the full benefit from your (or their) roads and rails if an RoP has been signed.

Without an RoP, when moving over foreign territory, the unroaded-terrain movement handicaps apply (e.g. in the epic game, Forests and Hills cost 2 MP, Mountains and Jungles cost 3 MP, etc.).

Borderline likes this.
  7. web25

web25 Chieftain

If you in an enemies borders you do not geg access movement bonuses in their territory. (If you are at war).

When you capture a city, you would get the use of the roads/rails.

8. web25

web25 Chieftain

Let portugal take their time than, you can claim the best city and/or resources by the time they get there.

9. Borderline

Borderline Chieftain

ahh... i did not know that there was a specific ROP violation mechanic in play. i assumed it just had to do with my reputation in general, IE) i declare war on another nation, or i broke a 20 turn trade deal, etc..

spain outright attacked me on its turn.. but i think a long time ago when i attacked scandinavia, i was in its borders, he whined to leave or else and i said to shove it, lulz.