1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliance Transport

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by rogue131, Sep 8, 2010.

1. rogue131

rogue131 Byzantine Historian

Something that always bothered me, why can't an ally's troops travel on my Galleons/Transports? It happens in the modern Navy, which I'm in, all the time. This probably exists in multiplayer, I don't know, I haven't played an MP.

2. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

With no transports in Civ 5 your problem is solved :)

3. rogue131

There has to be a way to ferry units across the seas. Also I was just thinking too, they should change up the pacifist civic. I mean it looks cool, but you almost never want it because it costs so much due to that "military unit" cost. Might not be a bad idea to add terrorism and assassination to the game. I mean who's to say you can't "kill a citie's leader" and the citizens become :mad: I mean more and more this game can become real life.

I like the Earth maps, but they're never real enough. I know about RFC, I haven't installed it yet because I have teh Gold version and I'm not sure how'd it work with it. But, anyways, be nice to have a real size Earth map. Add hurricanes, earthquakes, disease, famine, and other natural disasters to it. Don't you think that'd be challenging? Building up your city and boom an Earthquake destroys a lot of it.

4. Kissamies

Kissamies Chieftain

They provide their own transports.

5. rogue131

I realize the allies provide their own transport, but it would be nice to be able to have one civ build the military units and an ally build the galleons for transport. That would mean you could seriously double team someone.

6. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

No, not allies, the units!

In Civ5, there are no transport units - land units can (providing techs etc.) "enter" water - the ship micromanagement is gone.

Cheers, LT.

7. rogue131

Ohhhhh, man that sucks. I loved being a maritime power like that. Honestly, being in the Navy, I can tell you. Transporting units via ships is part of the deal. There's nothing like seeing a fleet of vessels. But I guess what you're saying is the units transport themselves like airlifting worked?

8. Kissamies

Kissamies Chieftain

You move your units into the sea and they turn into transports, or something like that. You still need your warships to protect your transports and support invasions just like before.

9. rogue131

Well that's great, saves me "mad" money and turns.Now I can launch invasions much quicker.

10. PeterWimsey

PeterWimsey Chieftain

Not requiring transports is a great improvement, which will make navies *much* more important. IMO, it's also realistic - with a few exceptions, transports were generally just slightly refitted civilian ships, and countries never had to decide whether to build a battleship or a transport.

It's about the same as how land units work; you don't need to separately produce the wagons and mules and oxen that real settlers or real military units would have used; it's just included in the unit.

This would also allow for really interesting play on worlds made up of small islands, polynesian style.

11. rogue131

Exactly, as long as I can still make my frigates and such, I'm happy. This is why BTS made me extremely happy with the Privateer addition. I had fleets of them operating in everyone's waters, performing hit and runs. I hated having to declare war to interrupt someone's shipping lanes. You should see England, playing an Earth map, it is surrounded by Frigates and Ships of the Line. If Louis or god-forbid Fredrick makes a move, they'll never get through :)

12. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

already happens, at least in bts.

13. rogue131

Yeah just picked up BTS the other day, the events were funny sometimes. :lol:

14. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

yeah, i don't really understand why people turn them off. random stuff makes the game fun.

15. rogue131

Especially the "wedding messages." In-law are behaving, classic!

16. kenwyn

kenwyn Master

Transports are a vital & interesting part of any STRATEGY game. Why the heck did they leave these out!?
    As with so many other of the trade-offs in this fantastic game series involves, when, how, where, & whether to build, manage, protect, & use water transportation vessels is EXTREMELY realistic & a great part of the STRATEGY.
    We take exception to the above statement that "most transports were converted civilian ships". Excuse me? What was the whole vital & critical "War of the Atlantic" about, the battle of Thermopolye(sp?), & pirate/privateer raids all about?
    Living here in the San Fran Bay Area with more than 7 TRANSPORT building shipyards that helped win the Pacific War as much, or more, than any battleship or frigate one realizes just how important & STRATEGIC transport vessels are.

Bring back the transports! The merchant marines & supply lines of empires demand(?) them!

IMS-HO.

17. Wosret84

Wosret84 Chieftain

Actually that's not entirely true. One of the reasons Germany never launched an amphibious invasion of the UK in 1940 (aside from lack of air superiority and control of the english channel) was a lack of available landing craft. All German navy production by then was focused on U-boats to fight in the Atlantic and they could not build the required craft in the required numbers, and civilian/merchant vessels were considered unsuitable for landing troops under fire.

I personally don't like the change.

18. rogue131

I can see where you're coming from. I love transports as well, I'm sure they'll figure out a compromise to this.

19. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I can see one way of fixing this: Making the embarkation promotion non-automatic. Instead, make it a promo that can purchased at any time (for gold) if the unit is in a city with harbour. If you don't have enough harbour cities/gold, you'll get a transport shortage.

Alternatively: Have a "transport ship" resource counter (like the other strategic resources). Then allow cities to "build" transport ships, whenever one is completed, the resource counter goes up by 1. Use this number as a limit on the number of embarked units you can have at the same time.

But in general, I hope embarkation is to stay - its implementation isn't perfect yet, but a lot less fiddly and more fun than in any Civ before.

Cheers, LT.

20. rogue131

Something. Transports and Galleons and such should remain, since you're right. In order to conduct an amphibious operation, you don't just walk troops to the water and they automatically board a vessel. You have to build that vessel. I would like that option to still remain in some way.