Alliance vs Defence Pact

mazz0

Chieftain
What exactly does each one do? I thought at first Defence Pact means I'll declare war if somebody Declairs one on my partner, whereas Alliance means the same thing but also that my partner can Declare war on someone and I join them automatically. However, the 'pedia says you need an Alliance to have a DP, so wat does the Alliance itself do? I can't find it in the 'pedia.

An alliance gives you CB if someone DOWs that other partner.
And (unfortunately) it includes Open Borders.

So neither of them mean I'll automatically declare war on somebody if my ally does so?

I think defensive pact does. Had two friendly civs declare war on each other. The alliance expired, but the defensive pact was still up on one. Without notification I was at war and the only warning was Ghandi giving me an earful about being a warmonger.

Defensive Pact is supposed to; yet the only time I've had an ally attacked -while in a D.P. with them- I got dragged into a war with the City States that the attacker was Suzerain of; but not the attacker themselves. I think they may still need to patch this; but maybe haven't received enough feedback from players yet.

Defensive Pact is supposed to; yet the only time I've had an ally attacked -while in a D.P. with them- I got dragged into a war with the City States that the attacker was Suzerain of; but not the attacker themselves. I think they may still need to patch this; but maybe haven't received enough feedback from players yet.

This is exactly what happened to me too...it was irritating that a war was going on across the map yet my cities were getting wrecked out of the blue by a city state.

Well, you do have to expect to potentially end up at war if you're in a Defense Pact; but it should work properly and drag you in the whole hog!

Yeah the alliance/ defense pact is so bugged it's crazy. It doesnt makes sense and truthfully the entire deplomancy as a whole sucks.

Alliance should mean whether you declare war or are attacked your Ally joins u at war.

defense pact= only if your partner is the target of a DOW that are also the target of the DOW.

I remember in Civ 2 when you would start nuking ppl how crazy the AI would get and even sometimes then entire world would declar war on you. Now I can launch Nuke after Nuke and the worst i get is a civ saying I'm a mean person.

The AI agendas aren't really all that strong and don't really guide them in any direction.

Since you can't gift units anymore you can't really incline certain wars without being directly in them.

Top Bottom