Alliances and my first couple games

Dazed

Chieftain
Before i bought civ 3 i only played civ1 way back in the day, so im kinda a newbie. Anyways, my first couple of games were played on the second hardest level. I got pretty good at expansion, but still have a hard time once the middle ages start. I cant keep up with the tech tree due to lose of funds and such. I was also wondering why i cant get any alliances. They just say no, not even offering anything. SO i just said **** it and went to war. Next thing i know, everyone on my continent allianced against me. It was over pretty fast form there. I have been militiristic civs, Is that the prob with my foreign relations??

This is just a stab in the dark since I don't have III yet, but I'd imagine that to ally with you, they'd have to have something to gain. You'd probably need to be ahead in tech, military, culture, whatever. And how's your reputation?

I am not sure what exactly makes civs like you or dislike you. In my current game I am the Russians. The Greeks are my neighbors and we have been at peace and trading the whole game. My other neighbors, just across the water, are the Zulu. I am far beyond them in culture and tech and money and cities. Yet they have always been beligerent and rude (even when they were in awe of my culture). On the other side of the Zulus are the Japanese, we now have a good alliance. The other two civs, the french and the indians, are indifferent to me---and i can see them going towards dislike...

Try making peace with you neighbors, offer them trade, maps, even 1 or 2 gold per turn... They will like that, if you have some spare luxuries, that helps too.

Also, I am not sure if this matters, but try to ally yourself with others like you. Maybe the Greeks like me because we are both scientific? Of course the Zulu dislike me and we are both expantionists, but I am far beyond them and the AI seems to get a serious hate on you if that is the case...

One thing though, stay away from rights of passage pacts if you can help it. I haven't had any problems with my allies moving into my empire yet, but that is a sure fire way to have the occur...

only use right of passage if you want to go thru their territory. to sign mutual protection pacts and other diplo stuff you will need military tradition or nationalism i think, cant be sure. i signed a mutual pro. pact with 2 of my neihbors.

p.s.- when your at war with someone, ask a neihbor of theres to join the war on your side, you might have to bribe them with money of advancments, but its worth it, your enemy will be too busy tryin to defend his borders from 2 enemies he wont be able to take the offensive, and his forces will be streched to the limit

The !@#$! Persions signed a rite of passage act with my neighbor - the Babs - and they are using the Bab's territory as a staging area to launch attacks on me. They strike, then run back into the Babs territory. Of course, if I try to route them out, the Babs threaten to wage war on me. Uggh.

Im learninng its imperative to take opportunities during wars. First off If another civ invades you, do anything you can to get the civ on thier opposite border to ally with you, even if its costly. If your unable to hold off the attack alone, then its worth whatever the price. This will either cause the AI to divert units on opposite borders spreading out thier forces, or if they chose not to react to the second threat, one ally gets an open field into his territory. Either way he will lose.

Some good tips on warfare. If the invader has a larger force, flank his units by landing forces from the sea. Once your behind his forces, begin to destroy all his roads, in turn slowing down his rate of reinforcements. 2 transports each carrying 2 riders can really do some road damage quickly. Also they can retreat back to the boat if attacked. The problem with going to war with an enemy with more cities is he is able to send more units to the front and restore them quicker. If you upset this, you can stand on equal ground with the AI.

Another good tip that works well is when your invading a country and lack a lot of artillery, destroy all roads and improvements around the enemies large cities while you take over the smaller, less fortified ones. This will hurt his cities and military, mainly by causing civil disorder and putting a stop to his army build up. I was able to defeat a much larger foe by using just those tactics. I admit I lost 2 cities at first (due to the surprise attack) but in the end he had 3 of 7 cities left, actually 2 left after he handed over another one to save his now pathetic nation.

The AI fights alot smarter then before... It's actually a challenge to win a war now ! Not just a matter of having the strongest units and one or two rules to take into consideration.
I like it this way :)

Top Bottom