Allied Deity

Nathiri

Commander
I found this other player to play with, and our first game, we decided to do Deity level. I do not have a problem with this, as I can adapt to challenge; but I havent experimented much past Emperor, as I do not play much default SP; but I do like playing default cooperatively.

Whenever I play cooperatively, I like to group us into an alliance, and also have coalition score. This means Domination Victory option is grouped. For most players, they arnt that good, and so we play Regent most of the time; and I play rather passively (because the AI is bad if you war); but this player said he was fine with playing Deity, so my first try at it, I agreed.
1.png2.png 3.png 4.png
1.png

We had to reload a couple tries, but decided to go with this map. I am not sure if we can win this. With my start, I had setbacks going with Republic, as I had absolutely no luxuries (and only a couple strategic res), and half of the game I could not trade with my teammate. Maybe I should of gone with Monarchy, but eventually I got the development and luxuries I needed. But for a while after the Great Library obsoleted, I could not tech, because of high costs.

I managed to grab quite a bit of land, and in the Middle Ages, conquered most of Korea, and then finished them off soon after. But by that time, India, and England were quite a bit ahead, and I was fighting Longbows vs Infantry, with a big stack of cannons. After wearing down India in one of our wars, I did manage to succeed in taking Hyangsan from India, by starving the city, unroading, and then waiting for the right time to strike. But being in an alliance with my teammate, also has its drawbacks. Whenever he makes peace, I also make peace. Being in a Republic, I did not want to start wars either. He also preferred conquering by brute force, while I preferred using artillery/cannons/trebs. So he always wanted to wait and wait for the better units, even after my pestering that we needed to slow them down, and if we waited, they would have just as good of a gap in units (eg. Tanks vs TOWs).

You might say, Allied Diety, is easy way to win Deity, but it is quite difficult. I still took quite a bit of load on me. I had to gift a bunch of gold to my teammate for him to upgrade chariots (about 800). He did give me per turn back so I could stay afloat with such high costs. I also built the TGL, so I was not liberated of that task. The AI can act a bit differently from normal SP for some reason. I've seen this in some of my mods. The barbarians at least, can act more aggressive, which also can apply to the normal civ AI. Alliances have their downsides as well, as I mentioned above about starting and stopping wars. Usually in Allied games, I tend to group the AIs together as well, but since this was Deity, I left them singular. Early on, I had to fend off 4 enemies at once, but gradually, it became more manageable and I could control whatever enemy units came to my borders. The downside here was, I had an Early GA, which did help me survive in the early stages, but I did not have it to start teching after TGL obsoleted.

Save is attached. It is late in the game, but maybe you have some suggestions. I do have Space Race on, so that means India and England could win by that soon if we dont deal with that. I tried to get them to gang up against each other when we were at war, which did help at the time. My teammate didnt really want to attack India till another 10 turns, but since they just got 4th era, I wanted to attack immediately to wear them down, but he insisted on waiting; but then England attacked me with about 30 cavs.

Btw, in MP, defensive bombard is more powerful, so longbows are useful in cities. Since it is MP, you can also run this in Hotseat and see my teammate too. I dont think he is as efficient as he could be, but I cant say much.

My turns tend to be quite long compared to his, as I seem to have twice as much micro to do than him.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 203
  • 3.png
    3.png
    662.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 206
  • Conquests Autosave 1435 AD.SAV
    3.7 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Well, we got around to playing a bit more just tonight, and things are not going extremely well. England is 5 parts away from Space Race, and India is going against Egypt. I left Egypt alive, even though they were quite weak, because I figured they were more use alive, than dead. There wasnt much I could do really with their land, besides extra gold. I thought their Deity bonuses would be helpful as extra units for India/England to go up against when we did go to war; and maybe they had some techs to trade, since we were actually just ahead of them in the 3rd era.

I was fed up with waiting, so I engineered a war with India (without telling my teammate exactly), and started to play a sort of cat and mouse game. They were sending in mechs into my land, but not attacking because I was moving units around. They try to go to the weaker city of course. After sitting by Bengal for quite a few turns, weakening it, I finally succeeded in taking it, with mostly just longbows dealing the final blow, as I didnt have many infs left due to them being decimated by the modern armour and mechs. I took a picture here: https://gyazo.com/4055a35dec8600138155286bc60e728c . We thought it was mostly lost, so I decided to go negative going for tanks as a last ditch effort. I did have the potential to tech really fast, but it was so costly that I held back. We may or may not continue this. It takes a long time for my turns as I have to triple check that I do not lose any cities due to the roaming mech parties.

Last edited:
I would be worried about England completing her spaceship. Is anyone warring with England?

Has your happiness situation improved? You talked about high costs -- is that from unit support, or from pushing up the lux slider to keep people happy? I know that few citizens are born content or happy at Deity ...

I would be worried about England completing her spaceship. Is anyone warring with England?

Has your happiness situation improved? You talked about high costs -- is that from unit support, or from pushing up the lux slider to keep people happy? I know that few citizens are born content or happy at Deity ...

Yeah I got England into the war asap at the ending, as I did previously in other wars. The high costs are mostly unit support as I was -200gpt above the cap or something. I could still make +300 when at 0% tech. Originally it was a combination of both (Because I had little or no lux at the beginning, which probably was a big oversight on my part), but not really so at this stage.

After that last session, I'm not sure if we will continue. I dont see a win with so little time and so far behind.

Take out those Modern Armor and Mech Inf with Longbows! Who needs technology? :spear:

I agree that victory does not sound likely, due to Space Race if nothing else. A couple of the parts do require Aluminum or Uranium, right? I suppose the one way to stop them would be to occupy their source(s) of that, and ensuring they are at war or embargoed by those who could trade it to them. Whether you could even reach their sources of those resources is its own question; if they are on the borders, great; if coastal, maybe your ally can rush some boats and Infantry; if they're in the center, it may well be too late, particularly without bombers.

Edit: Just realized that you don't know where those resources are due to the tech difference :(. Well, maybe choose a random city to invade and hope for the best?

Last edited:
You can find resources if they are within the fat cross of a city, by investigating the city and looking for tiles that have extra big yields. This can be really tedious, but sometimes there aren't too many possibilities for where the resource could be. We found oil this way in a succession game I played, a long time ago. If the resource is outside of town, though, there isn't anything you can do to find it. You can still pillage blindly, though. Suicide explorers are useful for this.

You can find resources if they are within the fat cross of a city, by investigating the city and looking for tiles that have extra big yields. This can be really tedious, but sometimes there aren't too many possibilities for where the resource could be. We found oil this way in a succession game I played, a long time ago. If the resource is outside of town, though, there isn't anything you can do to find it. You can still pillage blindly, though. Suicide explorers are useful for this.

Remember, too, the keyboard shortcut ctrl-shift-M will give you a "clean" map, with all the cities and improvements masked. Scroll around their territory, and look for the resources. You may still need a suicide mission, but it need not be blind.

Also, ctrl-shift-M will put the map back to normal. It's a toggle.

Simply looking will not work before you have the needed tech to see them.
Agreed. I looked more closely at his posts, and he did not appear to be in the Modern Era yet; he could not have seen the aluminum or uranium, but could see oil and rubber.

Top Bottom