1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Allow change of a faction's Gov't Civic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Polls' started by Vandal Warlord, May 9, 2008.

?

Should factions be able to change their Government Civic?

Poll closed May 16, 2008.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. I do not care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

This poll is for those who belive or do not belive that a faction should be able to change their Government civic when it comes available. Please reply.

2. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

This rule would undermine the whole purpose in having factions. It is a core rule and should not be changed IMO.

3. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I think they should BUT have the support of the majority of the population.

4. Badhron

Badhron Warlord

I agree, they should be able to change gov't civics, but in that case there should be an immediate vote similar to a rebellion vote as to whether the new gov't stays in power(Unless there is a poll as to whether to change civics prior to the actual change).

5. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

:agree:

I agree Badhro!

6. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Civics should be locked to the Faction Platform, this entire game hinges on that very rule, and should not be violated. Also, this proposal needs 2/3 to pass, as its a core rule, after an official round with discussions, debates and a fully fledged core rule proposal. The idea of the civic being locked to the core faction platform is to ensure that factions present a long term plan for their term, to cycle who is in charge (not perpetuate) and finally allow for "realism", in that anarchy always lead to a new government. I want someone new to take over the reins now, but not to ruin our core rules we fought so long and hard for.

Vandal Warlord, please leave the civic component of the core rules alone, we won it dearly in the core rule debates.

7. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

If I upset you Provolution, I am sorry, but It seems a little silly to have an old faction, with great new ideas, stuck with a civic such as despotism for the duration of the demo game. Badhron's idea, I belive, is a good idea.

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

There is nothing preventing the people in a faction from creating a new faction with the new civic. And I have to agree with Provolution that the concept of people flowing to the new faction with a new ideal is one of the core principles that the faction system was based on.

Besides, we're seeing new faction formation and the flow of people between factions even now, without a government civic change.

As for the process of rule changes, I don't think this poll can result in a rule change. A rule change needs to post the new language for the rule, which this poll doesn't do.

The core rules section on changing the core rules says only a majority is needed.

9. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

No, they shouldn't

10. Provolution

An old faction with great new ideas have outlived itself, and the ones with the new ideas should break out and form a new faction, not consolidate their power to keep people out.

11. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

*cough* Triad *cough*

12. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Dave, in truth I didn't mean to ask for a change in the core rules, I wanted to see how many people wanted that idea implimented.

13. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Cool, opinion polls are a great way to find out whether an idea should be pursued. :thumbsup:

14. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Could this not have been a public poll?

15. Provolution

To the defense of the Triad, we covered 3500 years or so and managed to help build up an interesting historical take on the game, many here missed.

16. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

This is how I envision it working, where the rebellion acts like a confidence vote situation, and if the PF fails to get a majority, then hold new elections.

17. Duke Blackstone

Duke Blackstone John Marchman

Do we really hav 20 active members? I hav seen 8 total citizens post recently. Sorry, off topic, but we hav 20 poll votes

18. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

That's why you need public polls, my man. The powers that be draft in people from all over that know nothing of the game. Vote robots.

19. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Personally I think that out of power factions should be able to switch their civic choices anytime they like but the ones in power should be locked into it until they lose power.