1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Allow us to abstain from voting in the WC

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Bechhold, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Please. Sometimes I don't have a policy goal at that point, at least not yet to pull the WC into. Just let us be allowed abstain not to vote or even select a target.

Vahnstad and Aussie_Lurker like this.
  2. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

I'll add to your post by also saying that AI & Human players should have the ability to Defy the World Congress-but at a very high cost in Grievance. So if a vote occurs that will harm you, you can defy it in the WC screen-meaning the effects won't apply to you-but you will gain a high price in grievances from every other Civ in the game. Though perhaps Defiance shouldn't apply to *all* World Congress votes.

3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Defiance could be interesting if implemented properly but the design ethos this time around is about making sure each session has a significant outcome. The advantage of having the A/B binary between buffs and nerfs to specific yields is that it's pretty easy to figure out which outcome you're For or Against, even if you don't want to invest your Diplomatic Favour.

While allowing abstentions would be more realistic, it's not necessarily good design to allow the human player to just ignore the feature until it suits them. Since you're affected by the resolution either way, you might as well vote.

4. Adjust

Adjust Chieftain

It's pretty easy to develop political favor. You don't need to be old-style defiant, just have enough favor to out vote everybody else.

Uberfrog is right. The game is trying to force you to participate. Voting adds another layer of complexity in diplo relations, especially end game.

5. RealAntithesis

RealAntithesis Warlord

Sometimes the choices aren't great. I got one yesterday to either amplify the bonuses or to ban bonuses from a certain type of city state. If you have lots of city states but also don't want to give bonuses to other civs, you may not want to make a choice at all.

6. Imaus

Imaus King

Honestly, why is the WC automatically mandatory? The LoN wasn't, the UN wasn't. The WC should be optional but the bonuses of the WC should be buffed to be attractive, such as Free Trade, Free Movement, etc, etc. An Isolationist or Autarkic power can shrug the WC off, and even a member should be able to defy. We've already had defying the UN in CivIV, with corresponding penalties.

Forster likes this.
  7. Adjust

Adjust Chieftain

I think the choices are automated, very generic, not very interesting. If you made the choices more important it could impact the game more. Are there only 10 diplo points per game? Do you have to win the first 10 points?

Under what circumstances can the player call for a vote on a topic? Are there any? I like trying to figure out what AI will vote for and try to bend it in my favor. Still a minor part of the game though. Unless I can call for a vote.

8. Jkchart

Jkchart King

The way to do that is to only use your free votes and not spend diplo favor. That's really it...yes it's annoying that sometimes you have to pick a side. But vote for something that could be beneficial to yourself on the off chance you get some extra little thing you have a small desire for, but not enough to go all in on.

9. Forster

Forster Prince

I also feel that you should be able to abstain or even ignore decisions. That happened in the LON and the UN. I would like the option to disable the WC, I really hate the mechanic.

Imaus likes this.