Ally declared war on me :-(

rhaak

Chieftain
I was in an alliance with germany, everything was great and then he decided to declare war on me. Should this be possible ?

It's possible, and others have reported it happening before. It's quite annoying, but there we are. :(

I had 3 AI's declare war on me on the same turn... 2 were allies, one had the happy smile towards me. I'm not sure why, either.

My military score was the same as theirs. My tech score was about the same as theirs (maybe slightly ahead). I had not been to war with anybody... and two of them had not met one another (that I could tell).

I get the feeling that certain map seeds result in certain AI behaviors.

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, since the tooltip for ally says they can't declare war on you. What does everyone in this thread mean by ally, exactly?

2 were allies, one had the happy smile towards me. I'm not sure why, either.

Allies don't have a happy smile, they have a white flag.

However once the alliance is over they are free to do it immediately.

There were three AIs, two were allies, and the third had the happy smile.

It's possible that the joint war deal lets people bypass the restriction that allies can't declare war on each other.

You'd think there is at least one sane person among civ devs who thought "hey the point of alliances is that they are stable formal friendships - declaring war on ally should be impossible without breaking alliance and waiting few turns". Paradox games have it so you cannot declare war on your allies without first breaking alliance and open border deals (additionally some updates introduced very short forced peace afterwards to prevent blitzkrieg).

I don't care in the slightest whatever the hell historical allies were doing, it's a game and decision such as alliance should have some consequences - you either get an alliance and cannot suddenly dow that player, or you have no alliance and more unstable relations.
Congratulations Firaxis for finally adopting casus belli from Paradox, now could you please look at few other thinfs which make Pdox diplomatic systems so much better?

Actually that is how it works, except you can't break an alliance. The AI must wait until the alliance has formally concluded before they can declare.

Backstabs still feel weird, out of context and come out of the blue though for two reasons IMO

1. The AI doesn't make it clear that yes, you indeed are not crazy, and they are indeed backstabbing you to take something of yours even though you've been friends and allies. They simply declare war which makes the player feel like they did something wrong
2. The AI doesn't have a good reason to backstab in the first place. It's just on crazy mode. They do it when they are weaker than you, when there are perfectly fine places to settle, etc.

1 could be solved by having a a parenthetical that says "(They are backstabbing you because they covet your city Barcelona!)"

2 needs some AI fixes

OK, so I just loaded a savegame the turn before the declaration of war and nothing happens !! I press next turn and the AI doesn't declare war and stays allied to me!!

It must have been a joint war. I have a feeling that's a bug with joint wars.

Never had an ally declare on me, but I have had a friend declare on me (joint war of course).

This game is just weird sometimes. And for some reason India doesn't like me even though I only have one -1 modifier, and many positive modifiers (I think overall I may be +8, but I'd have to check to make sure).

Diplomacy has so many bugs in this game. In that war I mentioned above, the friendly Aztecs declared, and they wouldn't accept peace no matter what I offered and no matter how many units I destroyed (and I destroyed a lot). Then one turn out of the blue they offer peace with high gold per turn, luxuries, strategic resources, and and a great artifact.

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible
It should not be possible but it can happen. Cleo was my ally for most of the game, we renewed the alliance a few turns before she declared war (and only Cleo, no joined war). She did nothing, not even trying to attack although her units were within my territory.

Current diplomacy was +65/-8. My military was good (better than hers) but I was not going to win the game.

I was so proud of my relationship that I made a screenshot :)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Arun4xpWERuXgpNg8uu1kTcZuXS-pg

I made this Screenshot a few turns before the she declared war... which then busted my dreams...

Last edited:
Military score? Where do you find that? I've been looking but haven't found anything that indicates relative military strength yet.

It's in the victory progress area. Where it lists the different civs in order for military victory, hover over the civ icon and the military score will appear in a pop up.

Top Bottom