Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by TheLastOne36, May 30, 2009.
A MAP of Earth's gravitational field.
*facepalm* Oi, you guys and semantics.
Very well, it's a GERMANIC Empire, are you all happy?
I apply the Greater Germany term to both Germany itself and the wider Germanic territories. But given that there's a Germany, a German language, numerous branches of German, several Germanic languages and several Germanic peoples, what constitutes Großdeutschland is up to debate. Most subscribe either to the Prussian definition that includes German Austria-Hungary(or all Austria-Hungary), or the modern definition which refers to the hijacked idea spread by the Nazis.
So, even if it's technically Germanic and not German, I'd still call that realm Greater Germany for the reasons stated above. To be more neutral, I could refer to it as "Greater Germania."
Time for more (extreme) nerdiness!
I finished reading a Song of Ice and Fire saga few weeks ago (thanks to scherbchen's thread which brought it to my attention), so here's a map of Westeros combined with a map of Europe.
It looks silly, you say? Well, here is the explanation.
GRRM never said how big Westeros is in his fictional world. He hinted that it might be roughly as big as South America, but I believe it would make no sense in regard to the story: if it was really so big, it would be impossible to travel the distances in times mentioned in the books. Also, if Westeros was as big as South America, the climate patterns mentioned in the books would make no sense either as South America stretches from the Equator nearly to Antarctica which is a distance comparable to that between Congo and Norway. If Westeros was as big, there would have to be a tropical area somewhere and most of the South would have to be much hotter than the books say (most of the South has a sort of mild, wet and warm climate comparable to France. I know, it's a fantasy world hammer2: ), but from the general spirit of the series I to assume that latitude impacts the climate in a similar way as here on Earth.
This together with the fact that Westeros is loosely modelled after medieval Europe leads me to believe that Westeros is of similar size as Europe. I placed it on the map askew to better demonstrate how different parts of it correspond with European regions.
Dorne - arid, hot, sandy, so I think it's similar to southern Spain/North Africa.
The Reach (Highgarden) - strikes me as similar to southern France/northern Spain.
King's Landing and surrounding area - similar to northern Italy in climate
The Riverlands - colder, much like Central Europe
The Iron Islands - cold, windy, desolate, IMHO similar to Ireland or the islands off Scottish coast.
The North - very cold, similar to Scandinavia/Finland, Baltics, Northern Russia.
Lands beyond the wall - veeeery cold, like northern Scandinavia/Siberia
Don't know about the Westerlands or the Vale of Arryn and the Fingers, but they're probably similar to the Riverlands in climate. The Stormlands should be a bit hotter, but also wet and affected by colder ocean currents.
also, there's quite a difference between germani and deutschen, but english doesnt really
allow a distinction.
Who's to say that the planet in this imaginary world isn't bigger than earth?
1.First things first I thoroughly enjoyed the map but there are a couple mistakes I'd like to point out. fist if Americas power is waining wouldn't it make sense that it would loose territory and not double in size? also you forgot to color Akimiski,Manitoulin and St.Pierre. I'm guessing Akimiski and Manitoulin are apart of Uber America because there uninhabited and it wouldn't make sense for them to be independent but it's harder to say about St.Pierre it could be independent,part of France or uber America.
2.Wouldn't Suriname and St.Martin join the Caribbean Union?
3. you also forgot to color Gotland and Bornholm theses two places can go to just about anyone.
4. Turkey didn't seam to lose to much territory despite being forced in to giving Kurdistan Independence.
5. South Africa expands its territory but doesn't get Swaziland or Lesotho?
6. Wheres that Assyria supposed to be?
7. This to me was one of the biggest oops, you specifically said that China annexed Taiwan but on the map Taiwan and even Hainan are shaded a non default shade of grey.
8. Finally I want to end this on a positive note namely I applaud your choice to leave North Korea separate from the south. Despite the fact that many Koreans scream for unification with the north, this would be horribly impractical for them for the simple fact that the north is soooooooo ungodly underdeveloped that if the south annexed it (even without a fight) it would bankrupt there entire country just trying to feed them and develop that hellhole, I mean seriously there's probably more infrastructure on the moon
Manitoulin is not uninhabited. Unless there is a second Manitoulin island.
OOOH there goes the nitpicking!
Who would America lose territory to? Mexico? I guess it grew before it lost it's power.
Man i don't even know where those places are, aside from St. Pierre and Martin. (I think Martin is colored)
Suriname is a crap hole now with a population of over 6 million. The Caribbean union simply didn't want it dictating what goes on due to it's size. All the tree's in Suriname were cut down and it basically became the new haiti.
Gotland Bornholm, Taiwan and Hainan are oopsies.
South Africa just didn't get them i guess, never had the interest to expand there.
Assyria is south of Kurdistan, the little black thing.
Thanks for your crtiticism though. I'm gonna research these mysterious places of Akimiski and Manitoulin now Wikipedia FTW
Edit: Oh those islands, i never knew what they were called, i thought they were just there i just didn't color them in.
You should have given more land to Greece
No, I totally understand the summer predicament, and both history and fiction are favorite topics of discussion for me.
I meant it more in how counterproductive TLO's attempt to create Poland-centered super-nation was.
EDIT: just teasin', my Polish friend
Oh i forgot to mention, in the future, India, and the African union implemented a one child policy to lower it's population.
It's a tri nation! A Central European empire!
I like that smiley.
Also did anyone catch the end date of the EU is 2089? What happened 100 years before that? I thought someone would notice and say something about it.
In 1989 um...Poland became un-commie IIRC?
EDIT: O, I see what you did thar. 1989- beginning of European unity. 2089- end.
I thought it was referring to the fall of the Berlin Wall (and the beginning of the collapse of the Soviet empire).
Manitoulin Island is in Lake Huron, the worlds largest freshwater island.
It is St Pierre and Miquelon, off of Newfoundland (totalling like 3 pixels), currently part of France.
Akimiski will probably be the one in James Bay.
Upon further examination i noticed something rather big that I probably should have noticed the first time There appears to be a mystery country in between Romania, Russia and the CEU (Central European Union) and oh yeah Easter Island, Nantucket and Gibraltar are also NOT colored and by the way keep up the good work!
I think that's Ukrarus. Or maybe it's Belaine?
I made a map where the four big powers (China, Russia, USA and India) are divided, and the EU, NATO and the UN are disbanded.
1. China is divided into East Turkestan, Tibet, Zhuang-Miao and Manchuria. Inner Mongolia joins Mongolia and the south west joins the Republic of China (Taiwan). The mandarin speaking Han chinese part continues to be the Peoples Republic of China.
2. Russia is divided into Muscovy, Novogorod, Scythia (with Abkhazia and South Ossetia), Siberia, Karelia and Tatarstan. Ingria joins Estonia, and Kaliningrad, Latvia and Lithuania create the Baltic Federation.
3. In the United States war breaks out when the Confederate States Leave the union. The Western Territories leave the federation in protest to the war. Nobody notices or cares that Alaska joins Canada, and Hawaii together with New Zealand create a Pacific Union.
4. Dravidistan, Punjab, Rajastan-Gujarat and 'Land of Seven Sisters' leaves India. The Bengali parts join Bangladesh and Sikkim joins Nepal. Pakistan annexes Kashmir.
5. With the NATO forces gone the Talibans take control over Afganistan, but when they commits terror attacks against muslims, Iran and Pakistan crush the Taleban and divide Afganistan between them. Tajikistan choose to unite Iran. Iran gets all megalomanic and invades Azerbaijan. Feeling threatened, Iraq unites with Syria, the Central Asian states unite and Georgia unites with Armenia.
6. The Peoples Republic of Korea succesfully annex South Korea.
7. Syria-Iraq invade Israel, and soon Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt also joins the war. When Israel nuke Lebanon and kills thousands of Christians, the Pope calls for a crusade agist Israel. Spain, Italy and France answers to the Popes call and declare war on Israel. After the Muslim-Catholic coalition win the war, Israel is divided among its neighbours with Jerusalem becoming part of the Papal States. France, Italy and Spain decides to make the alliance permanent and formes the Western Roman Republic.
8. Austria and Lichtenstein becomes part of Germany. Moldova joins Romania. Bulgaria and Serbia unites. Macedonia invades Albania, Kosovo and Montenegro. The North Western Balkan unite.
9. Venezuela takes Guyana, and Colombia annex Ecuador and Panama. Fearing further Colombian expansion the Central American nations unite.
10. The Tuareg Rebellion is succesful and the Tuaregs decide to forcefully take Mauritania and Western Sahara. Mbumb II Muteb convinces DR Kongo, Angola and Zambia to unite and form the Lunda Empire with him as emperor. A dictator rises to power in Ethiopia and occupy Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea and Sudan. Kenya and Uganda quickly decides to form the East African Federation with Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi, to prevent further Ethiopian expansion. Nigeria seizes Benin, just becaus they can.
Seems China managed to defeat the USA in a war, 400 years earlier, circa 1616:
All that brown.... crap, you see around the USA is the fallout from the many nuclear warheads Emperor Marius Shadouno of Erizo chose to detonate on the foolish Americans, who declared war on China/Erizo after Erizo dropped a nuclear warhead on Turkey. They will soon be absorbed into the Viceroyalty of Mexico.
So the task falls on TF to resurrect the thread, does it?
SO BE IT!
I present to you all, Uber-Osterreich:
Once more, mostly-grounded in fiction with a few sprinkles of history.
1) Austria managed to win the Austrian-Prussian War.
2) Austria somehow managed to push into Prussia and occupy Berlin and all major cities.
3) Post-War, Austria engorged Bavaria as a client state, occupying most of southern Germany. Northern Germany and Western Poland are still ruled by Prussia.
4) The laws of succession in all of the German minor states were changed so that either the ruler of Bavaria - in the southern states - or the King of Prussia - in the northern states - would inherit them on the death of each of their respective rulers. This led to Bavaria and Prussia dominating Germany. Furthermore, it was made so the King of Bavaria and King of Prussia themselves would pass their thrones to the King of Austria upon their deaths. This created the "Quadruple Monarchy" encompassing Austria, Hungary, Prussia and Bavaria.
5) Not wanting the balance of power to be ruined, Italy and France attacked the Habsburg realm, being aided by the Netherlands, Denmark, and a few minor Balkan states. Other countries were content to send arms or remain perfectly neutral.
Amazingly, the "War of Austrian Indepencence" was won by the Habsburgs. The Quadruple Monarchy was preserved. The Netherlands were bribed with territory in western Germany. The French withdrew when they were told they could annex French Switzerland and Belgium and the Q.M. would turn a blind eye. The status quo antebellum was restored in Denmark. Russia had been bribed away from the war with promises of a free lunch in the Balkans.
Italy was not so fortunate as it's allies. It was martyred, with the northern half - all the way to Rome - being split off as the Habsburg Kingdom of Italy. The South reverted to it's former name of the Kingdom of Sicily. The Quadruple Monarchy became the Quintuple Monarchy, now composed of 5 constituent states headed by a single Emperor.
With another bloody war complete, the Habsburg Emperors were quick to show that they had no interest in further conquest at the moment. They encouraged defensive treaties and agreements all across the continent, to facilitate peace and prosperity. Spain, Portugal and Sicily fused into the Romantic Empire(albeit, it was more of a confederation than an empire), combining their respective colonies and forming a whole greater than the sum of it's parts. France and the Netherlands absorbed Belgium, while France also ate Western Switzerland.
The Russians invaded Scandinavia briefly, and after receiving territory, the Russians withdrew. The end result was Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Iceland signing a treaty of mutual defense, as well as setting up a weak central entity called the Scandinavian Confederation.
In response to Russian aggression and Romantic colonisation of many of the islands off Greece, the Balkans merged into a multicultural entity.
The Ottoman regime eventually collapsed when Pan-European pressure was applied. Russia seized much of northern Turkey, with Britain, France and the Romantics gaining quite a bit themselves. The Balkans had unified just in time to receive the Greek territories in Turkey. In the end, a strip of Turkey was left independent as a buffer between the numerous powers.
Despite the many changes, Bismarck was proven wrong. Großdeutschland, not Kleindeutschland, was a reality and not an idea.
Tanicus, are you going to continue that Alternate History WWII/Cold War Thing from a few pages back?
Separate names with a comma.