Altered Maps 3: The rise of the Basque Empire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But of course!

I've already typed up part of the next segment, and I assure you I'll have it soon. ;)

A better Europe, free of Polish debates, French people, Ireland debates, Balkan debates, Greece vs. Turkey debates, Ukranian debates, and Central vs. East Europe debates.

Spoiler :

There's still room for German/French/Italian/Romansh debates.

1.First things first I thoroughly enjoyed the map:goodjob: but there are a couple mistakes I'd like to point out. fist if Americas power is waining wouldn't it make sense that it would loose territory and not double in size?

In defense of the map, it doesn't show what happens for at least 100 years. After all, if the US and maybe Canada fractured into 20-some-odd different pieces - that's an arbitrary number, it could be a reconstructed North American Union containing 20 super-states (with Mexico opting out after some civil wars and loss of territory). ;)

@myth: Bill's right, that's not good enough, take away Switzerland, too.

Actually you're right, our biggest political subject at the moment is the definition of a "Swiss French" (what makes you a Romands? Language? Canton you grew up in? Canton you work in? etc. etc...)

Jaysus! Keep going at this rate and there will be no more need to worry about US imperialism, they'll be too fat to fit in the Raptor cockpits...

:lol: :lol:

It's alarming indeed, but not just in the US. When I was young, there weren't many fat kids in my class or even at my school. Now I see fat kids outside all the time. Disgusting, I blame the imported American fast-food culture.

I like fat people. They are harmless, since they cannot fight back or run after you.

Then you either don't use mass transit or the mass transit in Greece is supersized ;)

Here in the Czech Rep., fat people = problem for normal people who just want to sit comfortably on their bench in a bus or tram :)

a little alt hist thing I've been working on. the story: (please note I haven't put any major research into country names)
Spoiler :
Americas-Basically, all attempts to establish major colonies have failed. Through trading with the Spanish, the Aztecs have managed to create a large empire, and they've gifted the amazon delta area to the Spanish, partly out of gratitude but more for money to fuel their war machine. In response, the other Americans have banded together into six main nations: the Inca and Parana River States in the south, and the Iroquois, Anasazi, Plains Peoples, and Inuit in the north. The Danes and Japanese have some small colonies, but they have no further ambitions.

Europe-A remnant of the old Roman empire has survived in the Democratic Union of Spain and Italy, (Spain is the main power) which retain its predacessor's expansionism, but has taken up a democratic government in response to constant rebellions. To the north the German Empire, formed a few centuries before, has been slowly nipping away at the edges of Spanish land. The other countries are (I think you can guess which is which) France, England, Ireland, United Scotland and Wales, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Poland, the Baltic Pact, Russia, Hungary, Serbia, the Kiev Republic, the Greater Mongol empire, Georgia, and Armenia.

Africa-In response to foreign colonialism, the africans have banded together into three main empires in Zaire, Zulu lands, and Ethiopia. After a brutal rebellion in west africa, the Spanish and Japanese have signed a recent treaty with the locals, agreeing to pull out of all African land south of 15 degrees north (except for the Niger river colony) if the africans don't attack the remaining colonies. In their wake the simply-named New African Republic (in east africa) and Madagascar Free Zone were created, and yet another war broke out in west africa, leaving the West African Empire and a small communist Senegal.

Asia-Japan has created a large overseas empire, (the brown spots on the map) and through treaties, cash, or war has gained colonies in the mediterranean, north sea, americas, and Indian and Pacific oceans. They've also conquered much of siberia and mongolia in a drive to eliminate the mongols and manchus as a threat. Their main enemy in the pacific is the Southeast Asia Trade Union in Australia and indonesia, and the Han, Tibet, Persia and India all have their empires. In the middle east, Spain has occupied much of the holy land to 'maintain peace', and the communist nation of Exiled Israel has sprouted up around it. The other countries are Syria, Iraq, and Arabia.

I have a long story based of this, If you'd like to hear it.

How would you eliminate almost half the planet by subtracting just 5% from it? This map shows you how: delete the countries that constitute the bottom 5% of global GDP contributors, and you scrap almost 3 billion people from the equation. Those people mainly live in Africa and South East Asia, as demonstrated by the disappearance of those areas beneath the waves.

This map was first shown on the political website FiveThirtyEight (”Politics done right”), in reaction to an argument that climate change would affect global GDP by “only” 5% over the next 100 years. Quite rightly, the point was raised that a reduction in potential GDP might not be an adequate measure of the human impact of such society-shattering change.

As per-capita GDP varies across the world’s countries by a factor of 800 (or 2,000 if you count Zimbabwe), this is a rather cynical (or at least cold-hearted) way of measuring the worth of human lives, making the average Rwandan life hundreds of times less important than that of the average Luxembourger.

To demonstrate the impact of a reduction of global GDP by a mere 5%, FiveThirtyEight erased the countries constituting the bottom 5% of global GDP (IMF estimates for 2008), in reverse order of magnitude:

Zimbabwe (1), Burundi, DR Congo, Liberia, Guinea-Bissau, Eritrea, Malawi, Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Niger, Afghanistan, Togo, Guinea, Uganda, Madagascar, the Central African Republic, Nepal, Myanmar (Burma), Rwanda, Mozambique, East Timor, the Gambia (2), Bangladesh, Tanzania, Burkina Faso, Mali, Lesotho, Ghana, Haiti, Tajikistan, the Comoros, Cambodia, Laos, Benin, Kenya, Chad, the Solomon Islands, Kyrgyzstan, India (3), Nicaragua, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Mauritania, Pakistan, Senegal, Sao Tome and Principe, Ivory Coast, Zambia, the Yemen, Cameroon, Djibouti, Papua New Guinea, Kiribati, Nigeria (4), Guyana, the Sudan, Bolivia, Moldova, Honduras, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, Bhutan, Egypt (5), Vanuatu, Tonga, Paraguay, Morocco, Syria, Swaziland, Samoa, Guatemala, Georgia, the Congo, Iraq, Armenia, Jordan, Cape Verde, the Maldives, Fiji and Namibia (6).

All in all 81 countries (almost half of the 192 UN member states), representing nearly 2.9 billion people (about 43%) of the world population. But still, a mere 5% of world GDP…

Amazing stuff!

Also, i'm copying and pasting my Africa map from the last thread:

And the actual Africa for comparison:
Spoiler :

I want to fix up the saharan borders, make them more like lines, cause they look ******ed at the moment. I think the Taureg have their borders extended over 50 or so miles at one point just to include one small village.
----------
I will continue working when i get my compter back from the container which i think will come this week.

Also, i found a map here in my new house, from my family that previously ran the buisness at this hosue (they are moving to a new location and will continue work at the camp) that shows a map by national geographic of all the native american tribes of South America!

I will make a similar map to the African one, but with grouping up of similar South American tribes into states.

The Great Mongolian lake seems interesting, as does the Western Saharan Peninsula.

Thanks for sinking my birthplace.

I have a feeling it's the Filipeens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom